Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone play rugby (Union)?
  • plumslikerocks
    Free Member

My 8 year old has just played his first couple of away games of contact Rugby for our local club, and I must say he made it look fun!

I played at school and enjoyed it but was always steered away from club rugby by misguided parents concern for my orthodontic work!

Now at the age of 38 I’m attracted to the cross training benefits of weekly training sessions and a bit of rough and tumble of a weekend. So at my age and a fairly modest 5’9″ and 13ish stone, am I just going to get mullered?!

Anybody else start late?

i_like_food

1) Yes you are.

2) No, I played till 18 then (wisely) stopped.

At 8 he’s probably 30 kg max? 30 kg hitting you isn’t too painful, wait till it’s 100kg…

Or maybe I’m being negative?

Jakester
    Free Member

If you’re looking to get back into it, have a look for the ‘Move Like A Pro’ sessions at your local Premiership rugby club:

https://movelikeapro.co.uk

I did the first round at Bath and it was fitness orientated with competitive touch games coached by ex pros – great fun, social benefits and a pathway into more serious games if you want.

alanl
    Free Member

You’ll be fine.
    I’m 51 now and played my first game this season 2 weeks ago. It went remarkably well. Monday morning wasnt too much fun though – when I was younger, it would be Sunday morning when I was stiff, it’s now Monday.
    When I started at 15, there were very few players over 35. I reckon over 30’s are the majority now, with lots of over 40’s playing.
    Go for it.

wrecker
    Free Member

There is a RFU initiative called return to rugby;
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-play-rugby-union

I did a couple of sessions at my new club (mainly to keep the bloke running it happy) but it was certainly suitable for a beginner.
    Rugby is a game for all shapes and sizes, you just need to figure out where you fit. Likely a back at 13st so stock up on hair gel, make sure you have pink shirt for after the game and you’re set!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Your problem OP is you are not really coming back to the game, you’ve never really played it at any sort of level. Also you don’t say which position you played in or where you think you’d fit it. I do know a few people who played on into their 50’s and there is an active veterans scene, so if your keen find a club with a vets side and just go along to so training sessions.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone play rugby (Union)?’ is closed to new replies.