Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Anyone own a Cannondale Prophet 3 MX?
  • pimpmyride
    Free Member

As above and what are they like?
    What are they capable of?
    If I can get past the look of it then i'm seriously thinkig about buying one.

z1ppy

That's a challenge to make a picture thread if ever I heard one. Their ggggggggggggGGGGrrrreat ,but i own one what would you expect me to say?
    Capabilty wise, lot more than I'll every manage (and most average riders), check out this post for pictures (lots of alps stuff) and ppl's comments:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/show-me-ya-cannondale-prophets-and

Don't see what you problem with the look is either, but then I owned several FS mtb's that look very similar and it'd be boring if we all liked the same things…
    Anyways, I haven't tried any other 5 inch travel bike to compare it with so.. Mine is a STD prophet limited to 140mm travel forks (to retain the warrenty), the MX @ X series ones can take up to 160mm, though this is only due to extra bracing under the headtube, not due other to any frame changed (the MX ones also have a 12mm bolt thru rear axle). Running in the XC country frame mounting it's simply that, a long travel XC bike. Great for climbing at a good rate, and more than enough travel to deal with anything in the downs but that's it nothing ground breaking. In the FR shock position though it really shows it true colours IMO, still climbs well (though the pedals are closer to the ground, so clip occasionally), show it a downhill section, sit back & be amazed at how it laughs at those previously scary section, blast through sections at speeds you thought impossible. I keep pulling up the front wheel & to find it there in front of my face while I manual down stuff by accident (manualing & wheelies a not something i've ever mastered). Even blasting into stuff fasted than normal, when it does get out of shape, it so easy to control. Found myself bouncing sideways the other day due to speed and my ineptness on a rooty section, pulled it back straight and got on with it, m8 following thought I was gunna wipe out in a large and messy way.

Basically if you don't want it, and it's a large, let me know who's selling them, as I'd happily buy a 2nd with more downhill related kit and I'd flog my Gemin DH bike. 😈

Mine, sorry it's a really marmite bike with the lefty (not my garden!)…

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Would you consider the 3 mx version to be on par with a sc heckler then?

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Great bikes, really fast, flickable, light for their strength, corner superbly and most importantly are nice and roomy. The MX is probably a wee bit stronger up front and a bit stiffer out back due to the differences z1ppy mentions above, I would suggest the standard bike's on par with a Heckler, the MX a bit more perhaps. I ran mine (regular version) with a shorter (stroke and i2i) shock until very recently giving 120mm, it never felt out of its depth (racing the Kona Mash-Up and local DH trails/jumps). Just put a DHX Air on it and gone back to the full 140mm and it just got better.

Kuco

Had one great bike very capable at most things. Full seat tube means you can drop the saddle right down for dh/messing about. I had mine fairly burly but still lightish for all day riding. The rear bolt through was a bit of a pain but nothing to much to worry about. Front's warranted for a 160mm fork. If you get one just ditch the cannondale stem and cranks they weigh a ton.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Anyone own a Cannondale Prophet 3 MX?’ is closed to new replies.