Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone out there got a 2011 Canyon AL 8.0
  • entropytango
    Free Member

Wondering if anyone out there can advice me on the BB & front derailleur setup on the 2011 Canyon AL frame. Do they come fitted with external BB bearings and an e-type front derailleur mounting plate?

I’m building a bike up based on this frame and am struggling with chainring clearance with the parts off my old bike.

A big thanks in advance for any help.

Vince

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Yes.
    Yes – normal external / HTII type.
    I dont know what the derailleur mount is called – but the mech its bolted onto a plate on the frame.

There’s some photos on this thread (page 5) that might give you an idea of what its meant to look like. Otherwise can you take photos of yours / the problem?

#Edit: the link:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12785308&start=80

Actually those photos arent great.

entropytango
    Free Member

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification on the BB. Just need to sort out the front mech.

So my frame has a single post mount for the front mech. I’m thinking that I need something like this Shimano XT M770. Is this the arrangement on your bike, basically a single bolt to the frame and the e-type mount, which is basically a plate that is bolted to the BB?

Thanks again for your support!

Scapegoat

Or you can get a direct mount mech…. 2 bolt like this. This is to fit a M785 2×10. The mech bolts onto the two threaded inserts lugs on the downtube using the plate with the two star headed capscrews. You adjust up or down by a few mm depending on whether you are running a 40t outer or a 38t outer chainring.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’ll check tomorrow but I’m sure it doesnt look like that one you linked to. I’ll check the model number that’s on mine.

#Edit – cross post there. Scapegoats pic is like mine.

entropytango
    Free Member

The frame I have is a hard tail, I’m guessing it’s a Grand Canyon. It only has a single front mech mounting post not the two as shown in the picture.

The problem I’ve got is the e-type mount is fowling the granny ring with the setup I have. So either the external bearings resolves this clearance issue or I’m missing a Canyon part that removes the need for the e-type mount.

I’ll try and take some pictures tomorrow.

Vince

Scapegoat

I think it’s the little silver coloured plate that’s missing. That bolts into the frame via the single hole. The second hole in the plate is threaded and takes a cap screw through the plate from the mech. It may be possible to mount it using a bottom bracket E type plate, which sits between the bearing cup and the bottom bracket in place of one of the spacers. If you are mounting a BB mounted E type, you must take out the 2.5mm spacer.

Scapegoat

Tell you what, I’ll see if I can take a pic so you can see what it looks like, but it’s a 1.5 to 2 inch piece of alloy with a plain hole so you can bolt it onto the frame, and a threaded hole to take the second capscrew, the one on the right of the picture. It comes with the two capscrews you can see, which are star or torx fitting.

Scapegoat

It’s also feasible that yours may have a single “braze-on” type like the one in the first picture of this article
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/article/video-canyon-factory-tour-34188/5/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone out there got a 2011 Canyon AL 8.0’ is closed to new replies.