Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone know if the trails at Learnie Red Rock are open?
  • iwluap

Heading up north (Alness area) for a family visit and am taking the bike so hope to get a morning or afternoons riding in. I was thinking of visiting Learnie Red Rock but the FC website has an update from 24th April saying that the Blue and black trails are closed due to tree felling. Anyone got any more info?

I was looking at alternatives and was thinking either Contin or Golspie. Any thoughts on either.

All help much appreciated!

tiggs121
    Free Member

If the blue and black are closed then there isn’t much else!

I was there recently and there was work going on “over the road” where some of the black was closed but the blue was open. There is a a blue run and a fun park on the car park side that will probably be open.

Map here

iwluap

Thanks tiggs, from the look of the map you are right, without blue or black there is nowt. Not sure it will cut it for a visit if it’s only the blue available. I’ll be up that way again so will take it on when it’s all available.

Northwind

Nip up to Balblair or Golspie instead, if it’s not too much further… Balblair’s weirdly overlooked, it’s mint, it’s almost like the bedrock was designed for riding bikes over. Golspie needs no plugs I guess!

Learnie was good when I was there last year but felt pretty abandoned- the skills area was pretty derelict and overgrown (I rode it anyway, where I could find it) and a big chunk of trail down one hillside was just gone after forestry ops. Some missing signs etc as well. Still was worth the visit but wouldn’t have been if there were any more closures I reckon.

iwluap

It’s looking like Balblair or Golspie would be better choices anyway! Had a look at a few videos and Golspie is looking like a winner at the moment!

Mugboo

Balblair is techy, bedrock heaven and Golspie is just perfect.

We camped at Dornoch and rode Golspie 3 times 🙂

Learnie was damp when we went. It looked really techy and challenging. Full of rock staircases and odd bits of woodwork. Sadly, it’s made out of the slippiest rock I have ever ridden.
    I’ll never go back unless it’s been bone dry for a week.

The orange graded final descent was good fun though.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi if your up near Alness have a look at this site run by the local (to the area) bike club.

http://www.fyrishbikes.com/index.asp?pageid=23971

also totally agree with the coments on Balblair and Golspie, head over the Struie road to Bonar Bridge and go left for about a mile to Balblair, after that drive down the coast to Golspie then head back over the bridge via Tain. I always ride up there whenim in that area and I love it! 😀

A few pics

Lactic ladder climb (or push)Golspie

balblair

Balblair

Balblair

NZCol

Balblair and Golspie both really fun in different ways – Balblair for me was the best as the natural stuff is just great fun, I rode both in a day.

Northwind

Only criticism I had of Golspie is that it really felt like you need to know the trail to ride some parts well… That jump/drop line, would it be VTOL? Pretty much an exercise in crap sightlines. And then all the wee obstacle course bits further down. I still really rate it, going to be riding it in a couple of weeks hopefully but I felt I didn’t get the best from some sections.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi Northwind worth going up and sessioning those sections VTOL and the next section through the woods with the black ish options along the way. All good when you know whats coming! I think VTOL is pretty much flat out 😀

Mugboo

Go on then, what’s VTOL?

d3fm3ch
    Free Member

what’s VTOL?

Vertical Take Off/Landing 🙂

The Lactic ladder at Golspie is bloody hard work. I’ve made it up ‘bits’ of it. A proper Black ascent.

Northwind

NorthCountryBoy – Member

All good when you know whats coming!

Aye… I went back for another run since the blind run just didn’t really work… But it’s a weird place for a sessioney jump line! Bad call IMO but it doesn’t spoil the lap, there’s so much good stuff up there.

Mugboo

Ta 🙂

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Aye I had to do the walk of shame down the pylon line footpath a few years ago when I had a rear mech meets wheel interface on VTOL had to carry the bike down as there were so few spokes left!
    Luckily got it all sorted at a shop in Inverness and got back out riding a day later.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know if the trails at Learnie Red Rock are open?’ is closed to new replies.