Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone have a Whippet?
  • Tell me about them…

Good traits/bad traits?
    Can they be left alone?
    Are they prone to illness?

Pics are welcome

timidwheeler

I have.
    Top tube is quite long, but otherwise I love it.

anagallis_arvensis

My lurcher has whippet in it.
    Good points are they can sleep for england and are gentle dogs.
    Bad in that they are thin skinned and can cut easily.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Buh bum.

I do. Look on it as a cat that can do 30mph and you’re about there.

Happily sleep all day.

woffle
    Free Member

Buh bum.

I do. Look on it as a cat that can do 30mph and you’re about there.

Happily sleep all day

this. +1

(but i’d watch them around cats 🙂 )

chakaping
    Free Member

Note that the traits people describe in adult whippets do not necessarily apply to puppies.

Ours is six months old and still behaves like a Tasmanian devil a lot of the time, steals anything he can get in his mouth, won’t come back when called, desperate to play with any other dogs/people we see when out.

Good job he’s such a handsome chap.

Tetley…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My Grandad had a Greyhound but my Uncle Billy let it off the lead & it chased a rabbit. Over a quarry edge to it’s death.

anagallis_arvensis

Fascinating but whats that got to do with anything?

skulldigger
    Free Member

I have 2 whippets. Lovely pets, crave affection and company so as a result can become a bit stressed when left alone at home… But not in an excessive way though. Will happily spend all day sat on your lap.
    One of my boys is (unusually) proper tough and will go out in all weather, eat anything, and chase anything that moves, this has resulted with him scrapping with a fox and losing (stitches required), running into barb wire and losing (stitches required), fighting with a dog x 2 (stitches required x2)running after a deer and being returned later by a member of the public.. Other whippet is more reserved/typical; fussy eater, stays out of trouble, gets cold quick, wont step in puddles or go out in the rain etc, but will still be keen to give chase to wildlife.

Keep them warm and in sight and you wont go wrong! Clean dogs, fur doesn’t go all over and they don’t smell too doggy. Don’t bark too much either. Good around children also. Prefer short walks.
    Charming, delicate, affectionate dogs I wouldn’t be without mine. Until they die of course!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Fascinating but whats that got to do with anything?

Absolutely naff all.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Can’t add much to skull digger really. We have 2 whippets, great great dogs, I’m converted and will always have whippets as pets.

Agreed with the chase instinct thing, you have to work quite hard training to overcome that. If you want to walk for hours with your dogs off lead then maybe not the right breed. If you want a low- maintenance, clean, nice-hearted pet then go for it.

If you’re thinking of rescuing (both ours are) there is a dedicated organisation called Scruples Whippet Rescue.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Oh and regarding he left alone thing, yes but I bet you you end up with a second if you get a first. They seem to go together quite well and like having a pal around.

anagallis_arvensis

They can be let off lead and can be well trained. They just will chase stuff. Rabitts arent a problem they never go far, deer and foxes tend to go further but its no big deal.

retrogirl
    Free Member

I got a greyhound 3 weeks ago and she is no bother at all. So quiet and sleeps all day given the chance coming over to who ever for fusses. She is also very gentle and apart from a couple of accidents when left she has been very clean. She can have selective hearing when off the lead but its early days and the only naughty behaviour was her chewing my Sons crayons and ripping up a cardboard box. i would check out the retired greyhound trust as they match the dog to your lifestyle

Bimbler
    Free Member

I’ve got a whippet/collie cross. Never really considered getting a whippet. Not sure I can comment much on general traits as not sure how much of Barney is whippet, how much is collie and how much is Barney. However if I was ever going to get another dog a whippet/lurcher would be top of my list.

Ours is six months old and still behaves like a Tasmanian devil a lot of the time, steals anything he can get in his mouth, won’t come back when called, desperate to play with any other dogs/people we see when out.

Ours is 2 and all of the above still applies, although he’s not that bothered about playing (ie scrapping) with other dogs much anymore. Loves to be chased though, will deliberately annoy other dogs in order to encourage them to chase him, he will then run them into the ground, much to some owners delight. Barney even has “play dates” for precisely that purpose. Love to see him run.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone have a Whippet?’ is closed to new replies.