Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • anyone got a Toyota Auris Touring Sport (hybrid)?
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

if you do.. is it nice? how is day to day urban driving and motorway?

simon_g

I have come very close to buying one, twice – they’re very sensible (and would make perfect sense for most of my driving) but I’ve been tempted away by cheap 2 year leases on other things! I tried to get my dad into one but in the end his Honda allegiances saw him in a Civic tourer instead.

I get a lot of Prius minicabs so am a complete convert to hybrid systems in heavy traffic – gliding along without an engine running is great. I liked the test drives I had of the Auris, it’s quiet, comfy and refined at motorway speeds. The thing the press always moan about is the way accelerating down a slip road will hold the engine revs up (for maximum power) but it’s not for long and it all settles down again once you’re up to speed. I think it’s even more pronounced because it’s so quiet the rest of the time.

Interior isn’t all soft-touch plastics but it exuded that old-school Japanese car quality – it doesn’t feel quite as nice but it’ll go on working for ages.

There’s a really big difference between the press reviews (which for the most part, don’t seem to get it and would all rather be in a diesel Golf) and owners reviews (who generally love it). Toyota dealers were happy to do longer test drives though, so do try it out for longer drive on your usual journeys.

There are ridiculously good deals to be had on new ones – drivethedeal will get you about £5k off list, and you can still do Toyota’s 0% finance. The new “business edition” trim level on the facelift is really good VFM too.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Got a Toyota Yaris hybrid about a year ago in fact it’s just had its first service can’t fault it in fact it’s been boringly reliable only problem I’ve had with it is the fact that round town it’s a pedestrian killer they don’t look and they can’t hear it coming 👿 total convert to the hybrid concept and will proberly go for a Auris or Prius next

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies lads.. was after some fast diesels before actually but due to recent events (VAG and all and probably some dominoe effect later on).. i think hybrids is way forward imo..problem is 70% of my journey is motorway, but you cannot drive very fast in my stretch of M6 after 3pm anyways.. i am looking the hybrid 1.8 .. but salesman said the 1.6diesel is preferable to what i need.

molgrips
    Free Member

The racing engine thing you get used to pretty quickly. It ain’t a sporty car, obviously, so who cares?

One thing they say about hybrids is that it’s not worth it on the motorway. Well, it’s still pretty economical on the motorway, it just drops much less when you get into town.

Test drive it.. then look at the pollution specs if you care 🙂

vorlich
    Free Member

I’ve been driven in one by a workmate and have to say I was impressed by the comfort and quietness. Made for a nice place to sit (short journey only). Not that fast on paper I don’t think, but the lack of noise made it seem effortless from a standstill.

Like you, I was thinking my next car would be a quick diesel, but starting to think maybe a comfortable hybrid is the way forward. Intrigued by the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

alpin
    Free Member

Just got back from Milan. Seems as though every second taxi was a Toyota hybrid.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I have the non hybrid version which I’m really pleased with. Bike in the boot without the seats down is great. I’d have been happy with a hybrid, driven my dad’s prius a lot, but lots more pennies and majority of my driving at the moment is up and down the motorway.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I don’t know about the Auris, but the 1.6 diesel in my Verso is a BMW engine. If that’s good/bad/newsworthy for cheating?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘anyone got a Toyota Auris Touring Sport (hybrid)?’ is closed to new replies.