Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Anyone got a 2012 Yeti ASR-5 Alloy?
  • Superficial
    Free Member

If so, what shock did it come with?

I’m about to pick up my new frame from the shop and apparently it comes with a £150 price cut and a Fox RP2 (instead of the Kashima RP23). I’m not sure if that’s standard?

Does anyone have opinions on whether I should try and hassle the shop for the RP23?

neninja
    Free Member

Looking at the Silverfish website it looks like you get the RP23 if you buy a frame but if you buy a complete bike you get the RP2.

Depends if you want the £150 discount or not I guess.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m buying the frame only.

I was told (by the shop) that the ASR-5 Carbon frame comes with the RP23, but the Alloy one comes with the RP2 shock. The Silverfish website seems to suggest that both framesets come with the RP23, but nowhere is particularly definitive online.

£150 off sounds like a lot, but deep down I’m a bit disappointed I’m not getting a posh 2012 Kashima (Gold!) shock, really. I might see what the cost of an upgrade would be.

dharmstrong
    Free Member

My alloy came with the RP2, which I was a bit miffed about when the website pics all show it with the kashmina shock. But it does seem the alloy frame gets the cheaper shock.

chojin
    Free Member

I got an ASR5 alloy from rutland recently and it came with the Kashima coated RP23, I think it was the 2011 version?

dharmstrong
    Free Member

My frame was from Silverfish via the LBS

Gee76
    Free Member

I was just wondering about the very thing on the carbon. Also wondering if my ccdb will fit too. Eye to eye and stroke are right but not sure if spring may clash with frame somehow. Then of course there is the question of how much it improves things of course.

2012 rp23 gets good write ups and only noticed a couple of retailers actively quoting it as fitted.

Out of interest who was offering the discount?

Superficial
    Free Member

Ouch that hurts Chojin, one of the reasons I waited 2 months for a 2012 version was that I was told only the 2012 frames had the newer Kashima RP23s on.

From what I’ve read the difference between RP2 and RP23 isn’t massive, I’m more of the ‘set and forget’ kind of rider so I doubt I’d miss the extra options for pro-pedal. I like the sound of the Kashima coating though.

Thanks dharmstrong, at least the LBS aren’t spinning me a yarn.

EDIT: I feel like a tool harping on about Kashima coatings. I’m sure it’s all marketing bollocks, but I want to believe the hype!

xc-steve
    Free Member

RP2 if its alloy RP23 if its Carbon no difference between full builds or frames.

chojin
    Free Member

I have just doubte checked and I did order the 2011 frame, but from what I can see they may have sent me the 2012 version? Why else would I have received the kashima coated shock?

Not that I’m complaining 🙂

Superficial
    Free Member

Is this the sort of thing that’s going to wind me up every time I look at the bike…?

ruscle
    Free Member

My friend also bought the 2011 frame from rutland for their discount price and received the alloy frame with the new rp23 kashima shock so is a 2012 frame, as the 2011 didn’t have the kashima shock. You will also notice that its the adaptive logic shock which is a 2012 model.

ruscle
    Free Member

Yes it will, I bought the 2011 frame earlier in the year, built my mates bike up and the following week sent of my fork and shocks for service and the kashima upgrade!!

Superficial
    Free Member

I don’t think the model years for Yeti and Fox were completely aligned. The first Kashima shocks were around in April time I think, which is several months before most brands (including Yeti, I guess) brought out their 2012 range.

The ASR5 comes in different colours and graphics for the 2012 model, apparently. I.e. I think the Rutland ones are 2011 Yeti frames with 2012 Fox shocks. Not that it makes a lot of difference, except that you’ve got a posh shock and I have not 🙁

bigrich

my mate bought a frame in the states, and it came Kashima’d up as standard. probably a world shortage of fancy shocks or somesuch.

chojin
    Free Member

I have to admit, I did let out a little squeal of excitement when it turned up wearing a Kashima shock – a nice little Brucey bonus, that

Superficial
    Free Member

I reckon no kashima, but order myself some Havoc carbon bars to make up for the loss…

DezB
    Free Member

Yetis are plush enough not to worry about fancy coating on the rear shock,surely?

bigjim

Kashima is certainly a triumph of marketing!

muppet4
    Free Member

Appologise for the hajack but – how do we like these frames?After i have realised crc yetis are not for me(no warranty)and i am looking at an asr 5 from rutland.
    I would like to go and look at one but am slightly unsure of the sizing, i am 5″10 33 inside and normally ride 18″ on ones, just unsure if the large is too big.
    Oh and is the carbon worth th extra$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Cheers guys

ScottChegg
    Free Member

We like. Very much.

The alloy is tremendous, but except for the lightness the ride is identical.

As for size, I’m pretty much the same as you and the medium is bang on.

chojin
    Free Member

I’d say medium for you muppet, I have a large and I’m 6ft 34 leg and it fits me with a shorter (70mm) stem and the seat adjusted more toward the front.

muppet4
    Free Member

Bugger, i am sure there was a medium there earlier
    👿

chojin
    Free Member

Hmmm.. I thought all the mediums sold out pretty quick?

Superficial
    Free Member

There’s a few thread on ‘what size ASR-5?’ Consensus seems to be that if you’re less than 6 ft, a medium (or small if you’re a lot less than 6′) is the better choice, but it will depend whether you want a stretched out race bike or more of a play bike. I’m 6′ (with 34″ inseam) and went for a medium.

lotus777
    Free Member

just found out the 2012 frames have a different colour scheme . not quite as nice imo.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a 2012 Yeti ASR-5 Alloy?’ is closed to new replies.