Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone gone from LT full sus to LT hardtail and regretted it?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

More specifically to a Cotic BFE with Uturn Lyriks – would be my only MTB

rob-jackson
    Free Member

bump

kudos100
    Free Member

I’d regret going to a long travel hardtail full stop. They are gash.

br
    Free Member

from what?

I went from an 06 S-Works Enduro to a steel 456. After 9 months sold the Enduro and bought a 456Ti. Still have it as my only bike.

scottfitz
    Free Member

I went from a Giant Glory to a Dialled holeshot (140mm forks) for DH duties. I have a lot more fun now.

But of course fairies like kudos100 need triple clamps 😉

Coyote
    Free Member

I’d regret going to a long travel hardtail full stop. They are gash.

Define “long travel hardtail” and then justify your sweeping statement. Does 130mm still class as LT for a hardtail? If so then the right honourable gentleman is talking through his arse.

rocketman
    Free Member

The Ramones has 150mm U-turn Recons. Not as much travel as U-turn Lyriks but generally speaking it’s an aggressive HT but I would never in a million years have it as an only bike.

When you’re in the mood it jumps and pops and accelerates and climbs like most hardtails and in softer conditions it’s actually pretty good but the rest of the time…you only have to follow one hardtail down a clattery descent and see the rider shaking like a bag of jelly and the wheels flexing from side-to-side to realise why we have FS

kudos100
    Free Member

I went from a Giant Glory to a Dialled holeshot (140mm forks) for DH duties. I have a lot more fun now.

But of course fairies like kudos100 need triple clamps

Jog on Scotty, I ride a jump bike with 100mm travel forks 😛

kudos100
    Free Member

Define “long travel hardtail” and then justify your sweeping statement. Does 130mm still class as LT for a hardtail? If so then the right honourable gentleman is talking through his arse.

Anything over about 140mm is long travel IMO. Yep, I’m talking out of my arse, long travel hardtails are great, crack on.

honourablegeorge

These “I went from bike X to bike Y and I’m much happier” stories are useless without context – where you ride, what kind of trails, etc.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Jog on Scotty, I TRY & ride a jump bike with 100mm travel forks

😉

trickydisco
    Free Member

Went from a spesh enduro with lyriks to a stanton slackline with 150 talas. The enduro was a bit boring to ride unless used for uplift days or the alps.

robarnold
    Free Member

Yep. Went from a Spesh stumpy with 140mm of travel to a P7 with Pikes and really regretted it, never realised how much I relied on my rear suspension, especially at speed.

Eventually bought a Remedy then a Rumblefish, don’t think I’d ride a HT again

mangatank
    Free Member

For me, returning to LT hardtails was driven by a desire to make the local terrain more challenging (it’s pretty challenging on an FS though, tbh), to simplify the riding experience and to allow me to cover the road miles between off-road sections more efficiently. Hardtails also allow you to experiment with frame materials in a way that’s more significant than FS.

So, moving from a hardtail to FS is often an upgrade experience, while moving from an FS to a hardtail can be more of an…aesthetic choice? 😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Right borrowing a carbon 456 to try so will at least not have to make a leap of faith

logical
    Free Member

Went from a Giant Trance to a 456 and never regretted it once.

tomhoward

Went from a 160mm fs to a 120mm HT and enjoying the change. I say went, I mean I bought a 120mm HT (when drunk) to go with the fs….

andeh

Don’t know if this counts, because I had my BFe (with pikes) all along, but I bought a Turner Highline (180mm) for the mega last year. As much as I liked the bike, once the prospect of challenging alpine terrain had gone, I couldn’t see any point in keeping it. I rode it one at Wharncliffe when I got back and didn’t have as much fun as on my hardtail. That said, I’ve always been a hardtail kind of guy, every full sus I’ve had has eventually been ousted by the BFe.

I ride everything, but mainly peak district, wharncliffe, greno, local dh/xc. Spent a weekend up at the tweed valley and it didn’t feel out of its depth on the long xc rides or the uplift at Inners. True do-it-all bike.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone gone from LT full sus to LT hardtail and regretted it?’ is closed to new replies.