• This topic has 966 replies, 88 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by poah.
Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 967 total)
  • Anyone for another religion thread?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Amuses me how so many atheists seem to think that the big bang theory refutes God!

mefty
    Free Member

I was hoping that someone was going to ask me what my evidence for that statement was, and then I could have replied that I didn’t need any evidence, it was good enough that I just believed it to be true

Gosh what japes you don’t have.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It works for me.

In the next few days just take a moment to forget all you’ve been brainwashed with, find a nice tranquil spot and just have a empty headed look around, spend as long as you like just gazing in wonder, spot the animals and insects, watch the trees sway in the wind, check out the cloud formations and breath that air in deep

After an hour or 2 or 3, just softly say to yourself… the big bang theory!

of all the contributors to this thread to mention brainwashing !

There’s nothing you said there to refute it or to prove a god.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Amuses me how so many atheists seem to think that the big bang theory refutes God!

got any stats for that – I bet it is not high.

Whereas there might have been someone/thing that started the big bang, so therefore a creator, that is a far cry from there being a god that controls our lives and responds to being worshipped.

Maybe the big bang was just the spark as someone turned the computer running the simulation on ?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

That would be Carlos Frenk

poah
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

no, the complete and total lack of evidence to suggest the existence of a deity is how I refute a god.

poah
    Free Member

In the next few days just take a moment to forget all you’ve been brainwashed

you’re referring to those religious types I take it.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Whu?

molgrips
    Free Member

Whereas there might have been someone/thing that started the big bang, so therefore a creator, that is a far cry from there being a god that controls our lives and responds to being worshipped.

It is, yes. Different question though.

no, the complete and total lack of evidence to suggest the existence of a deity is how I refute a god.

But as they say, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence 🙂

Cougar

It doesn’t refute god. Rather, it offers a partial explanation previously occupied by the notion “god did it” because we had nothing better at the time.

Very little actually refutes god, because as discussed at length here and previously it’s impossible to prove a negative. You’d be hard pressed to find an atheist who actually believes what you’ve just posited.

Now, about that “not keeping it going” you were asserting earlier…

Cougar

In the next few days just take a moment to forget all you’ve been brainwashed with, find a nice tranquil spot and just have a empty headed look around, spend as long as you like just gazing in wonder, spot the animals and insects, watch the trees sway in the wind, check out the cloud formations and breath that air in deep

God is real because we have clouds?

Hahahahahhahahahaahahahah, on your effing bike you dopey arsed human

The Big Bang Theory is silly?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Hahahahahhahahahaahahahah, on your effing bike you dopey arsed human

It’s been termed Einsteinian wonder.

“The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead —his eyes are closed. The insight into the mystery of life, coupled though it be with fear, has also given rise to religion. To know what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their most primitive forms—this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness.”

This came from a man who did not believe in a personal god – and who’s work went on to underpin the Big Bang theory.

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.[18]

Honestly, the standard of debate/trolling in this place is becoming dire.

miketually
    Free Member

It’s been termed Einsteinian wonder.

Feynman spoke about how scientific knowledge adds to this sense of awe/wonder/beauty:

[video]https://youtu.be/VSG9q_YKZLI[/video]

poah
    Free Member

But as they say, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

doesnt work for everything and certainly not for the existence of a deity.

badnewz
    Free Member

The discoverer of the big bang theory, Father Lemaitre, initially referred to it as the “cosmic egg”. In terms of the above, Lemaitre considered the theory to be neutral in terms of proving the existence of God; but he liked to keep science and religion separate.

teasel
    Free Member

Goddammit, Wilburt! Look what you’ve gone and done.

Saddest part of this thread is now Turner Guy setting up his own punchline.

I’ll pray for you, fella…

theocb
    Free Member

I think some of you need to start thinking for yourselves tbh.
    So the worlds greatest brains since the beginning of creation have spent their lives studying the universe and the best theory they came up with is impossible. It’s like your mate turning up and saying I’ve just been struck by lightning 4 gazillion times on the way here

The understanding of ancient scriptures has moved on considerably since Albert pegged it, the words are a gateway reaching far beyond man.. they have been poorly interpreted by humans in the past but slowly science and faith will converge

perchypanther
    Free Member

Not all religious folk believe the same things.

Just sayin’

theocb
    Free Member

Not yet!

kerley
    Free Member

Not all religious folk believe the same things.

But they all believe in the concept and as it is only a belief it should not dictate anything in anyone else life.

Imagine if the UK was 95% Christian. What would it be like for the other 5%, do you think religion and law would be one and the same and that 5% would be limited by the Christian beliefs

For example do you think homosexuality would still be legal?

hodgynd
    Free Member

So ..what came first ..the chicken or the egg?

eazyd74
    Free Member

Not just rough predictions, but in great detail.

Could you give me an example, out of interest?

An example is the scattering of the people of Israel across the globe. ( Prophesied in 6 different books of the bible eg Deuteronomy & Jeremiah). Also, their return, prophesied by Ezekiel, fulfilled in 1948.

AdamW
    Free Member

And the existance of 29ers. That obviously refutes a personal god.

miketually
    Free Member

Eggs predate chickens by many many years.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Eggs predate chickens

So do foxes…..

and Hounds.

teasel
    Free Member

🙂

miketually
    Free Member

😆

poah
    Free Member

but slowly science and faith will converge

you seriously can’t be this stupid?

molgrips
    Free Member

Eggs predate chickens by many many years.

The question isn’t about any egg.. it’s specifically referring to chicken eggs and chickens.

But it’s a pretty easy question either way – evolutionists will say egg, creationists chicken.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Thanks for clearing that up ..I can ( eventually ) die a happy man now 😉

miketually
    Free Member

The question isn’t about any egg.. it’s specifically referring to chicken eggs and chickens.

But it’s a pretty easy question either way – evolutionists will say egg, creationists chicken.

The first chicken egg would have been laid by the first chicken. The first chicken would have hatched from an egg which would have been laid by a slightly different animal, but not by a chicken. So, chicken first then egg.

(Except speciation doesn’t happen across one generation.)

perchypanther
    Free Member

I can ( eventually ) die a happy man

You’ll be slightly less happy immediately thereafter when you cease to exist and wink out of existence for all eternity.

Good luck with that. 😉

hodgynd
    Free Member

But how do you know? 😀

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

the words are a gateway reaching far beyond man.

Oo you tease.

they have been poorly interpreted by humans in the past

Do you have any evidence of this please?

but slowly science and faith will converge

In what way? Empirical science + faith mashup? Or is there a new type of science on the way? You mean like spiritual science? Goethe, Steiner kind of thing?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

How can science and religion converge

One is examining something external
    The other is examining something internal

Totally different things

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

One is examining something external
    The other is examining something internal

This thread just got interesting for the first time.

I’m fairly certain that science does encompass study of the mind/consciousness, (if indeed that what is what you mean by ‘internal’?. Religion is more along the lines of a ‘collective’ consciousness? Sociologically/psychologically speaking – religion also has much to do with a collective conscience?

funkmasterp

I think some of you need to start thinking for yourselves tbh.
    So the worlds greatest brains since the beginning of creation have spent their lives studying the universe and the best theory they came up with is impossible. It’s like your mate turning up and saying I’ve just been struck by lightning 4 gazillion times on the way here

The understanding of ancient scriptures has moved on considerably since Albert pegged it, the words are a gateway reaching far beyond man.. they have been poorly interpreted by humans in the past but slowly science and faith will converge

I’ve missed you over the last couple of days. Where have you been? Spirit Journey, astral plain, reading ancient texts with your eyes shut or just trollollololloling a different forum?

molgrips
    Free Member

Science can definitely examine spirituality. Try taking some LSD.

There’s a good book about this area called The Believing Brain, forget the author. Well worth a read. It’s by a neurologist.

Cougar

The first chicken egg would have been laid by the first chicken. The first chicken would have hatched from an egg which would have been laid by a slightly different animal, but not by a chicken. So, chicken first then egg.

The first egg containing a chicken will have come become before the first chicken. QED.

poah
    Free Member

Try taking some LSD

last time I did that, the paisley pattern carpet looked like a floor of snakes.

Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 967 total)

The topic ‘Anyone for another religion thread?’ is closed to new replies.