Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Anyone else on Yahoo mail getting those bloody
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

adverts at the top of your messages?
    Travelzoo
    O2
    Some Shite for a fitness programme
    Carribbean Bloody cruises.

How do I get rid? (apart from changing my email address/details/supplier)

TheBrick
    Free Member

Masking tape

piemonster

Just pron ads for me

andytherocketeer

on android app yes.
    on chrome on desktop PC, no, because there are ways of not seeing adverts that may not be mentioned 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m on Chrome but watch me pron in IE.

(there’s actually naff all dodgy being advertised on Yahoo, just annoying stuff I ain’t interested in)

piemonster

Tbh, no pron ads.

Just wanted to look trendy.

Admitting watching pron is trendy….right…..isn’t it…..????

beej

Gmail app now does other accounts. I’m now using that for my Yahoo email.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Admitting watching pron is trendy….right…..isn’t it…..????

You are not helping in my quest to get rid of said adverts Piemonster. 🙂

chambord
    Free Member

Now I’m not saying you should install an ad blocker and keep its default settings because that stops sites like STW from making enough money to keep their forums going.

But, you could install an adblocker and enable it only for yahoo.com because lets face it if they can afford to buy an app of some 16 year old for millions of bucks then they wont miss a few fractions of pennies for displaying ads in your browser.

EDIT: heh, I don’t know how to make the post make sense without using a word that is cunningly substituted by some stw super forum magic

andytherocketeer

damn.
    spoke too soon.
    whatever Yahoo has done, is getting round the freeloading feature.
    they can advertise malaysian something or other in german as much as they like but I *never* click ads anywhere.

edit: a custom rule might have fixed it, but now it’s really slow.
    might be time to rant on fb again, where my yahoo employee contact will see 😉

Cougar

Does Yahoo support SMTP these days? Install something like Live Mail or Thunderbird and bin off the web client?

scuttler

How dare they offer advertising to support their free to use service.

Jesus there’s nothing new here and the old adage is truer than ever

“if you’re not paying for the product then you are the product”

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/yahoo-account/sign-yahoo-free-mail-sln15967.html

andytherocketeer

oh and yep SMTP might be the way forward.
    they f***ed up (apologies for the language, but that’s the only valid description) their app so much in the last year or so mainly due to employing a load of hipsters whose only solution is to throw a load of jquery (and whatever yahoo’s own custom javascript thing is) at it.
    but strangely every single issue I reported was dismissed, and then they magically made a u-turn 2 months later. and I filed a lot of bugs/issues.

how dare they earn money from selling all my info, and then try to earn more money off me buying from the companies that have paid them for my info.

and they know fully well that there are a load of us that have used it for so long now with the email used to register so many other services that it’s impossible to flounce and cancel account.

Sandwich

Andy, have you tried Ghostery if it’s available for your browser? It may obstruct the commercial content on Yahoo.

Cougar

The real question, of course, is “people still use Yahoo”?

The year you spent filing bug reports could’ve been used to migrate to another service. There are many, many options out there.

andytherocketeer

yes, but another year to try to work out all the forums and websites registered with a yahoo address since a very long time ago?
    so long ago that I think Google just started (but gmail came much later).

yes I can migrate, but I also realistically need to keep yahoo.

no doubt the same will be true for google down the line.

and whatever other service I migrate too.

right now to find an android IMAP client…

Cougar

Or, you spend two quid a year on a domain name and stick it in front of whatever service you like, and you’ll never have to change your address ever again.

duntstick
    Free Member

YAHOO, haha back to the future……….

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve actually got used to just ignoring them now.

cp

I’m not so much worried about those ads that look like you’ve got new mail, but morehacked off at the moment that their spam filter seems to have borked and has been letting all sorts of junk into the inbox for the last 3 weeks.

yes, but another year to try to work out all the forums and websites registered with a yahoo address since a very long time ago?
    so long ago that I think Google just started (but gmail came much later).

I’m in a similar position but I think the time has come…..

andytherocketeer

the time came about a year ago when yahoo did their major fubar. they are pros at that. same with flickr.

i did do a massive purge jsut to make it useable, and ditch a load of obsolete services, but there’s still a long way to go.

have the domain, but never really used it and the smtp servers that they provided too, because yahoo and gmail are just so convenient.

may as well do the next purge… ready for when yahoo go bust.

fubar
    Free Member

The real question, of course, is “people still use Yahoo”?

Yes, Yahoo email is pretty good in my opinion (14 years and counting). I’ve had a gmail account (and outlook) 5 years or more but don’t use it (forward all emails to yahoo) but having had another look I think it has improved a lot but still not leaps and bounds in front of Yahoo (multiple tagging rather than folders may be an advantage)

scuttler

Why is it so hard to switch? You don’t have to turn off Yahoo, just stop registering stuff to it, re-register all the obvious accounts you have and use and then just check it every other day, then every other week, then every other month picking up and moving the less obvious stuff until you convince yourself it’s no longer active for anything other than P1LLZ ‘n M3DZ. Even then the account will still be active but you won’t have all those troubling ads or JQuery bugs to content with.

I still get Christmas cards for the people who lived in my house 10 years ago. I can’t imagine they’re too fussed.

andytherocketeer

oh and now it’s poxy yahoo germany promoted tweets in twitter too

only ever seen about 2 products in total in their adverts pretending to be emails.

so either 15+years of them profiling me has stumped their profiling algorithms, or only about 2 companies have bothered to pay for adverts.

yahoo employee friend (edit: that uses gmail for work 😉 ) will get a fb rant later 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else on Yahoo mail getting those bloody’ is closed to new replies.