Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone else mangled a foot nut on their Rockshox?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Yes, I should know better.

Doing a lowers service on my Revs, tightened up the foot nuts using a torque wrench to the specified amount – got to about 3Nm (50% of specified) and the damper side bolt washer started to invert, backed it off and replaced the crush washer.

Then doing the air leg the base of the bolt, the half moon washer part of the bolt started to sheared off about 2Nm. Rubbish.

Trimmed the bolt down, and replaced the crush washer on the air side, put in 100psi in both chambers and popped down a drip tray – if it doesn’t leak overnight I’ll see if it loses anything during a ride.

Anyone done the same on their Rockshox? I’m guessing the air side can be replaced by a Fox M8 base nut, although the damper looks specific.

Ricks

nmdbase
    Free Member

Ummm, no 🙂

rickon
    Free Member

My advice: Don’t do it 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

Red one was it?

rickon
    Free Member

Both sides, I’m a numpty. Its a long base nut and the damper side. Still don’t get why they went at less than 4nm.

LoCo
    Free Member

Got spares for everything plus those crush washers you mentioned the other day, will pop it all in the post monday 😀

rickon
    Free Member

You sir, are a star. How about I pop over with some cake on Monday instead?

LoCo
    Free Member

tidy that’s good too! MMMMM CAKE! 😛

hammerite
    Free Member

I noticed that the rubber bit on my lock out has come off, any ideas how to replace? Bike was from CRC, I’ve messaged them already.

Sorry for rubbish photo quality!

GW
    Free Member

Blu-tac and a 5p coin stuck on top

hammerite
    Free Member

Really? Cool.

I was trying to explain to a guy in the LBS and he said for me to take the bike in so he could assess as it could be a big problem as it shouldn’t fall out. I just assumed it was a plastic/rubber bung to stop water getting in.

GW
    Free Member

uh huh!

the 5p coin stops shite sticking to the bu-tac btw (oh.. and looks amazing 😉 )

hammerite
    Free Member

Thanks GW.

I’ve now linked the two, but after e-mailing Chain Reaction to see if they could help (as that’s where the fork was from originally), they recommended getting in touch with Loco Tuning – they also suggested the blu takc/5p thing! So thanks to Loco Tuning I now have the bung winging it’s way to me.

I’ve now put two and two together (oh and checked his profile) and realised that LoCo is Loco Tuning. 😛 Anyway top marks and thank you LoCo.

rickon
    Free Member

And…. thanks to LoCo from me – as I now have two new foot nuts and some spare crush washers 🙂 Whoop.

Ambrose

Just a thought- Rickon, is your torque wrench OK- maybe it is not properly calibrated/ damaged or something?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just what I thought and a classic example of why relying on torque wrenches does not always work. The wrenches tend to be inaccurate at the extremes of their scale

rickon
    Free Member

Torque wrench *could* be out, but I really wasn’t putting that much torque through in – it’s a small bar one, so anything more than 10nm is a bit of a struggle.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else mangled a foot nut on their Rockshox?’ is closed to new replies.