• This topic has 76 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Anyone else into quality board games?
  • redthunder
    Free Member

Achilles v Hector Game

[url=https://flic.kr/p/UbBN9G]Achilles v Hector Game[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

redthunder
    Free Member

My version of Viking Chess (Board Anyway)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/THY7w4]Hnefatafl the Ancient Viking Board Game[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/THY7xB]Hnefatafl the Ancient Viking Board Game[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/THY7qH]Hnefatafl the Ancient Viking Board Game[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

Duffer
    Free Member

Got some great games over christmas; Exploding Kittens is brilliant (We have the ‘safe’ version so the kids can play) and we got the boy a copy of Rhino Hero which is a really fun quick tower building game.

Anyone else have any new ones?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    newrobdob
    Free Member

Small World is excellent although IMO an example of where the app is actually better than the board game as it makes playing it literally 10x quicker

I played the Carcassone board game on my phone and it made up my mind not to buy it!

I have recently played Powergrid a couple of times and love it, might buy it soon if no-one buys it for me!

I was given Cornwall (the board game, not the county) for Christmas, and Machi Koro which is brilliant.

Got a Days Of Wonder board game off a flea market recently for £4 called Pirates Cove, not played it yet.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I like an actual board.

Me too – Machi koro is brilliant though even though it doesn’t have a board.

LittleNose
    Free Member

I think Pandemic is my favourite co-op game out there at the moment, and there’s a decent version of Pandemic on the iPad.

Exploding kittens came to our house this Christmas too -mucho fun

sb88
    Free Member

Check out Rhino Hero

RustySpanner

This Christmas, I have mostly been drubbed at Spot It! by a four year old.

Bananagrams is excellent, non turn based crossword grid building.
    Better than it sounds, unless you’re dyslexic, in which case Quirkle is superb – perfect for slightly older kids and pissed adults.

jolmes
    Free Member

We got Carcassonne for Christmas and have played about 5-6 games a day since. Also got Castles of Burgundy last year which was great and also Takenoko which was only bought cause it has Panda’s in it…exploding Kittens went down a treat too.

Next on the list is Ticket to Ride and maybe some expansions for Carcassonne.

Stoner
    Free Member

we’ve been playing a lot of ticket to ride this Christmas, and thanks to a classifieds acquisition, the boys and I are just about to start Level 2 story of Dungeons & Dragons.

Exlpoding kittens arrived this Christmas too.

Achilles v Hector looks a simple set up, I must track down the gameplay instructions and make up a board.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I really like Quirkle. Imagine Scrabble with colours and shapes and you’re there. It’s easy to play and doesn’t drag on.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

This is amazing:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdAwX8JB66E[/video]

Cougar

maybe some expansions for Carcassonne.

A word to the wise, not all Carcassonne expansions are equal. Some are pretty much essential, some are shameless cash-grabs. Look at reviews on BGG (or ask me!) before parting with money.

Cougar

Actually, here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Carcassonne_series

I’d consider Inns & Cathedrals to be essential, we never play without it. Traders & Builders is popular. The Tower and The Catapult are utterly pointless.

jolmes
    Free Member

Best place to buy them from Cougar? The prices seem to vary so much.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Was this one of you lot? 😀

“GET IN THE BRIG YOU PRICK!

Just like that, I saw my route to victory: deflecting any accusation of treachery by projecting it on to the smartest person in the room. Reader, I Trumped him. Pip became increasingly frustrated. The angrier he became, the more I could portray him as a dangerously unhinged robot. I’m fairly sure that at one point I shouted “DEFINE LOVE, YOU HEARTLESS MACHINE” at him.

Eventually, the game reached an endpoint. I went full Trump, chanting “Lock Him Up!” at Pip, and the other players obliged. Despite his protestations, Pip was thrown in the brig and I took control of the ship, piloting it almost immediately into the sun, to the horror of the other players. Words were exchanged. Small plastic icons were thrown. Pip stormed out with the other guests and I basked in my glory.

It was only in the morning that I considered that maybe I had gone too far

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/29/board-game-new-years-eve-battlestar-galactica 😆

Cougar

Best place to buy them from Cougar? The prices seem to vary so much.

Amazon? eBay?

https://www.bgextras.co.uk/
    https://www.gameslore.co.uk/
    http://www.boardgameguru.co.uk/

… off the top of my head. Or support your Local Games Shop. (-:

newrobdob
    Free Member

Definitely support your local shop. We have IQ Games in Huddersfield and they are great, they do a board games night every fortnight which is free and you can use a whole range of their library of games free too.

Plus there prices are the same as the internet mostly too – recently they had a birthday promo with 10% off and it was cheaper than anywhere on the internet.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Missus got Gloom for her Christmas which is pretty fun. Also retrieved Solarquest from her folks loft (’86 rules) which is good, imagine Monopoly in space but you need fuel to move.

We also got Forbidden Desert a few weeks back, now that’s hard…

Supporting local is all well and good unless they can’t or won’t order what you want in (usually because the distributor wants a silly minimum order) in which case I’ll either look further afield or just get form Amazon. Charity shops are good for the occasional gem.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Must be 20 years plus since last game but just had two great games of Masterpience – the art auction game

Simple but great fun

AdamW
    Free Member

Gloom is great but you have to spin a good story. I do like it but it becomes X-rated when I play.

My mate from back home over down by there (Llangollen area) pops over frequently and we go to a great game cafe called Ludorati in Nottingham where they have a wall full of games to play and discounted purchases. I got my mate “King Domino” for Christmas which won ‘Spiel der Jahre’ 2017.

We played Elder Signs last time – it is better on the iPad; far too much to keep in your head for each turn.

BTW have we reached ‘peak Cthulu’ yet? It’s everywhere!

grahamt1980

Interesting thread this, i think will be getting carcassonne and really nasty horse racing game.

Will go along with cards against humanity and the perennial evil game of uno

tazzymtb

Pandemic is great, love zombicide (co-op zombie survival) if you like exploding kittens, then you will adore bears vs babies (it comes in a hairy box, oooerr misses) death wish is very good. Chaos marauders is brilliant, play huge ammounts of munchkin in the house with mini taz as well, also dungeon petz (resource and planning game whilst raising dragons and feeding them goblinz for extra points to sell them to collectors)

newrobdob
    Free Member

Tazzy – I played pandemic and was looking forward to it but it left me cold – need to try it again but I couldn’t see the point – I want to win something!

Northwind

Pandemic’s really dependent on the group, the co-op can quickly become “do what we tell you”. Not too convinced tbh

Wow, geek central. Cards against humanity is about the limit of my intelligence/patience level and soon get bored with that.

Walk past what used to be a trendy student bar on the way to the neanderthal pre-football pub and it’s now a ‘games bar’. I look through the window and have an irrational desire to go in and slap the 3/4 jean wearing, cardigan flouting, flowers in the hair, pretentious lefty saps who are pretending to have fun into reality. But then they probably think I’m a prick too

newrobdob
    Free Member

Interesting thread this, i think will be getting carcassonne and really nasty horse racing game.

I played Carcassonne on my phone as I was thinking of buying it but I was put off by the phone experience. I have been told it is quite difference when playing the card game but it does depend on who you play it with – I have been warned that some of the expansions are completely pointless too, but some are worth getting and do add to the game a great deal.

Cougar

It’s not a card game.

I discussed the expansions earlier on this page:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-else-into-quality-board-games/page/2#post-8932755

Poopscoop

Coming from a pure Monopoly only for virgin here… but love the look of some of those games.

10 minutes from me there is a board gaming cafe and I’ve often looked through the window with interest.

Trouble is, I’m not that sociable these days and walking in a place like that and trying to figure out how to get involved actually scares me a little! Lol

Not as confident as I once we buy just don’t like computer games anymore and the social side really attracts me to these games.

Think I’ll make it a Spring “mission” to get involved.

Cougar

If it’s any help, it’s probably populated by nerds who are almost certainly more socially awkward than you are. (-:

Where are you geographically?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

We have a weekly board gaming session.

Most popular games at the moment:

Champions of Midguard
    Barenpark
    Mission Red Planet
    King of Tokyo
    Kingdomino
    Blood Rage!
    7 Wonders
    Century Spice Road
    Chaos in the Old World
    Evolution, Climate

I also play some solo games, Lord of the rings, the card game and Arkham Horror, the card game.

integerspin
    Free Member

Haven’t played any for years. The last I played would have been Risk.

Poopscoop

Cougar – Moderator
    If it’s any help, it’s probably populated by nerds who are almost certainly more socially awkward than you are. (-:

Where are you geographically?

More to do with the time I pass by but seems to be a fair few family groups in there?

I’m in Medway, Kent.

Cougar

Bugger.

Poopscoop

Cougar – Moderator
    Bugger.

You’ll have to elaborate? 😀

Poopscoop

I’m guessing you mean you are up north mate? 🙂

sbob
    Free Member

I’m in Cambridge and am willing to travel to hold your hand for expenses plus maybe a foot rub. 😉

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else into quality board games?’ is closed to new replies.