Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone drive a Left hand drive in the UK?
  • Warrenpfo
    Free Member

I have been offered a brand new out the box clear plastic still on the seats and car in transporter mode Land rover Discovery 4 HSE for £28000 through a car dealer friend of mine only problem is that its left hand drive.

Im tempted but not sure?

jimster
    Free Member

What's the problem?

I drive a VW Type 25 LH drive and the only "problems" I have these days is pulling out of wide junctions to the left because of the blindspot caused by the bodywork. Overtaking left to motorways.

Take it for a test drive and see how you get on, at first you'll be driving too the right.

[pedant]Shouldn't it be left hand steering?[/pedant]

spacemonkey

Defo take it for a spin to see how you get on.

I've done a few miles in a couple of LHD hatchbacks (a few years ago) and it was a bit weird but generally fine. You just need to re-calibrate how you measure gaps, etc.

Also did a few laps in a LHD Viper on a track day – I thought I'd brick it at least a little because I was encouraged to hammer it, but surprisingly I got the hang of it in no time. In fact, it was a POP.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matthew_h
    Free Member

I had an E30 M3 for a year or two and they only come in LHD and it really wasn't a problem. Only times it was an issue was at the occasional oblique junction and at auto toll booths (but you get used to throwing your change accurately out of the open window).

I was most bothered about overtaking before I got it but it never turned out to be a big deal. Just hang back a little bit further and read the road better. Probably going to less of an issue in something tall like a Disco anyway.

spacemonkey

I had an E30 M3 for a year or two

+1

Marge
    Free Member

In my job I get to drive all combinations…
    It will seem weird at first but soon enough it becomes completely normal. Going for a test drive will show how you initially react but not of course how you will adapt.
    As mentioned above, the only nasty exception is trying to turn out of acute juncions in a LHD panel van..

andytherocketeer

Often drive my LHD in UK. As above, only issues are carpark ticket machines, toll booths, roundabout entries where the view is blocked by front passenger headrest (you get used to it), and B-road overtaking.
    Parking is a bit weird at first – you're so used to judging front left clearance, but now you'd need to judge front right, for example.

MrTall
    Free Member

From my friend who has one, the biggest problem is (when driving alone) going into car parks etc where you need to grab a ticket from the machine. Usually involves a little jog around the car to grab your ticket…..

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

How much of a saving is that. I can imagine that vehicle will be a total white elephant when you are finished with it unless you plan to keep it for a Looong time. Normal depreciation is high, this thing will fall like a stone.

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

UK list price is £47,695, so quite a saving.

robdob
    Free Member

A bit of effort selling it abroad eg in France when you come to sell it may mean you might lose very little on it. Might mean delivering it to France or similar but would only be a day or so and some travel expenses.

tamworthcrowd
    Free Member

Been driving a LH for 5 years now in the UK. Always look over your right shoulder when overtaking on a motorway, as that's your blind spot. Might be solved if you can get a parabolic mirror for the right side.

Overtaking on single carriageways requires a bit more patience but is totally doable.
    Really narrow lanes are easier to navigate because you know precisely where your car ends on the side where it matters most (i.e. close to the wall) 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

have been offered a brand new out the box clear plastic still on the seats and car in transporter mode Land rover Discovery 4 HSE for £28000

UK list price is £47,695, so quite a saving.

buy, sell in Europe = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 😀

jacksta
    Free Member

our camper is LHD, only problems not already mentioned are pulling out past slower vans/ trucks, almost impossible to see without the passenger telling you. Plus seeing oncoming traffic through tight bends on country lanes, people assume you have seen them.

My OH has trouble parking it. Then again, he has trouble parking our hatch back too.

Ti29er
    Free Member

I had a LHD for 2x years, it's more to insure and it's awkward overtaking sometimes.
    Get a larger mirror, both inside and out to help on dual carriageways and motorways.
    Get your front seat passenger to help out on occations – or scare them silly from time to time!

keavo
    Free Member

the only problem i found was being on the wrong side for ticket machines at car parks and stuff

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone drive a Left hand drive in the UK?’ is closed to new replies.