Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Anyone doing the Garrigill ride thing?
  • failedengineer

Just discovered the above. Some good trails around there. Think I might have a go. Anyone else doing it?

Kahurangi

This one?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/north-pennines-mountain-bike-marathon

I’m in the wrong country, but it should be heaps of fun 😀

boxelder

I may well be

ir_bandito
    Free Member

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!

http://tynevalleymtb.org/

Free* beer, free* t-shirt, free* feed-station

I’m organising it! To keep my stress levels down, it would be nice to get a few more entries in the very near future. Chipps did say they’d put a piece on the front page about, but he’s notoriously slack about answering emails. If anyone reads this and can give him a nudge, it’d be appreciated.

*Free=included in entry fee obviously. Its a fund raiser for Tyne Valley MTB club for trail and access development.

ir_bandito
    Free Member
    PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I hear there’s some truly stunning riding in that area. Is it worth venturing from the south island to ride?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Yes.
    I thought it was going to appeal mainly to “local” riders, so NE & NW England and Scottish Borders, but the first entrant is from down Gloucertershire/Worcestershire way, and there are more from similar distances.

All 3 routes go over the Pennine Ridge (Cross Fell) and back. Using mainly rights of way, with some additional trails thrown in for good measure. I really wanted to include High Cup Nick, but that would have meant too much on-road riding to get there. Maybe next time I can persuade the landowner to let us use the Cow Green reservoir track…

Follow it up with Sunday in the Lakes and you’re laughing. If you can ride with the potential hangover from the post-ride pub session. 🙂

FOG

Aargh! My wife has managed to book our two week holiday to include the Tour and about 4 MTB events including this one. Serves me right for not listening and just saying,’ yes pet’ all the time.

gazc
    Free Member

i’m doing it plus another – definitely good riding, feels very remote up on the fells with not a bad view of the lakes on a nice day! 🙂

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

This event looks ace. Some more of this sort of stuff please.

I Rode over cross fell into garrigill about 12 years ago and thought then that it would be a great place to return to.

Right better start negotiating the pass out…

failedengineer

bandito – when are you going to publish the route?

Saw the poster at the top of the Gelt Woods path nr Brampton (I was running, not riding, obviously – it’s a footpath)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

when are you going to publish the route

when we’ve worked out the little details, trying to avoid the worst of the bogs with gamekeepers and farmer’s advice.

In basic terms:
    Big: Garrigill – Corpse Road (Pennine Way) – Rake End – Teeshead – Wildboar Scar – Blencarn – Kirkland – Corpse Road – Garrigill

Bigger: Garrigill – Tynehead – Troutbeck (yes, I know…) – Silverband Mine – Cheeky mine track descent – Milburn – Blencarn – Kirkland – Corpse Road – Garrigill

Biggest: Garrigill – Tynehead – Troutbeck (yes, I know…) – Silverband Mine – Cheeky mine track descent – Milburn – Blencarn – Kirkland – Corpse Road – Rake End – Teeshead – Wildboar Scar – Blencarn – Kirkland – Corpse Road – Garrigill

So mainly RoW, but they’re a bit vague in places so it will be marked out.

Nice to know the posters are out.

gazc
    Free Member

some serious elevation in those descents! looking forward to the

cheeky mine track descent

– 500m plummet to milburn, nevermind 600m from teeshead to blencarn on the wildboar scar BW 😀

ir_bandito
    Free Member

500m plummet to milburn

Its a bit rough, like

But fun 🙂

Cracking views:

boxelder

I’m convinced.
    Failed engineer – you local to Brampton? S’my home town.
    No riding near the Gelt, no way……

failedengineer

boxelder – Yep, I’m exiled in Brampton, for my sins ….

I like those steps on the bit between middle and lower Gelt, me.

It was a damn shame when they walled and fenced off the other bank. If nothing else, it was nice for a run around the paths there.

Do you ever get in the Howard’s?

boxelder

Not there now – near Keswick. Dad’s still there though.
    The Howard Arms………..memories…..

ir_bandito
    Free Member

So are you two down as “definite”?
    🙂

crezzy

I’m tempted ,I live in Milburn so could nip home for a nap and change bike halfway round .lol

failedengineer

I’m a definite if I can persuade any of my riding buddies. 90%.

crezzy

Going to see how my body and soul is after mayhem next weekend before I commit

boxelder

I’m 95% and talked at least one mate in.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Excellent.

boxelder

Entered.
    Bump for fathers day…..

ir_bandito
    Free Member
    postierich
    Free Member

Will spread the news with the bog trotters!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Cheers Rich,
    I was wondering how to get in touch with the Boggies, couldn’t find an email address on their page.

Kahurangi

I reckon a prize for the largest/noisiest club presence could stir up a bit of competition 🙂

Bog Trotters vs. Hexham Dad’s Club vs. MidAir Crisis :mrgreen:

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Good idea Jon. I don’t think it specifies club/team on the entry.
    Who on this forum is in midair crisis? I tried to contact them a while ago.

STATO
    Free Member

That looks awesome if hilly, i get all day to finish right. Now where did i put my lights…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Ha! Yes all day.
    That said I’ve done versions of the route setting off at 6pm and coming back down well after midnight. That’s fun!

eddie11
    Free Member

It does looks good this. I’ve been up there with snow in July, it could be a genuine adventure.

disclaimer: actual weather may not match that illustrated 🙂

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I can only whole heartedly recommend the area for riding, its frankly stupendous and not like much else in the UK, some huge hills on often open moorland and on a god day its just gorgeous but on a bad day its bleak and wild. love it and miss it. ex allendale resident. cant do it this year, wife just gave birth to twins.

postierich
    Free Member

Boo I,m working that Saturday !

dazh

Really want to do this but I’m supposed to be moving house that weekend.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

That said I’ve done versions of the route setting off at 6pm and coming back down well after midnight. That’s fun!

i.e. stumbling around the top of Cross Fell at midnight trying to find the trig point to regain navigation in horizontal midsummer drizzle. That was fun. I’m hoping for a different sort of fun this time, the one with sun, a gentle breeze, the sound of skylarks and curlews overhead…

neninja
    Free Member

In process of recruiting a car full to do the 44k one. Only coming over from Darlington so not too far.

neninja
    Free Member

Booked on 44km one. Love the fact that if you feel good on the day you can switch to the 66km ride mid-ride or at morning registration, nice touch that.

legolam
    Free Member

Any girls signed up yet? My and at least one female friend are definites (probably for the middle distance) – we just need to book.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Neninja, I’ve just put 2 & 2 together and worked out who you are. Gloworm?

Legolam, yes, we’ve got girls. That sounds sleazy doesn’t it? I forget the ratio but I think its about 25 – 30% female at the moment

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Anyone doing the Garrigill ride thing?’ is closed to new replies.