Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Anyone do the passportes this year?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

We did it on the Sunday, absolute mudfest, and all a bit pointless given the swiss shut all their lifts so you could only do around half the course.

Now in bed having almost died of hypothermia and contracting chest infection after 11 hours in the most miserable conditions I’ve ever ridden in….

Having said that some of the trails we did get to ride were great fun, especially in the conditions.

Alex

We rode it Saturday last year. Similar conditions. I’ve posted this pic a few times but I feel it’s appropriate to share your misery 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/f535rE]Boat 2657… come in your time is up[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

This year I took a photo of a rider around 1pm who was giving up. He was just about to jet wash his bike and himself

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oaZQYi]Les Gets MTB holiday – June 2014[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

We were determined to get round after failing last year and rode the – thankfully – dry and sunny Friday. 95km, 6500m of descending, 5:45 riding time.

This is our crew on the border of France/CH

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nTVt3e]Les Gets MTB holiday – June 2014[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

It was fun to do the whole route (we did all of the optional DH but missed out about one part where it was just a road descent) but I wouldn’t do it again as there is so much better riding in the area. And the (many) fire road descents at 35+ MPH (according to my GPS) were potentially bloody dangerous. Mate slid out on a hairpin and without pads on would have been lacerated.

Brilliant event tho, well organised and superb atmosphere. And boy did the beer taste good afterwards!

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’m in the yellow…..

Goggles were of use for about 30 seconds…

The decent from Avoriaz to Morzine almost made up for the weather, which was misery personified…

deadkenny
    Free Member

Did the event Friday, then mucked about Saturday. Excellent dry days. Skipped Sunday while watching you guys get muddy 😀

From experience last year, it’s horrendous when it’s chucking it down. Though kind of fun on the wet roots.

Anyway, by Monday afternoon things were drying out quite well. Spent the morning well away from the Passportes course anyway and wasn’t too bad (though damp steep and root conditions coming off the ridge from Col de Cou, first time for me, was a bit hairy).

Ps, check your bearings if you’ve been using the provided jet washes. They can be quite powerful.

jambalaya
    Free Member

My Swiss mate rode on Sunday. His report was that after getting thoroughly wet and cold during the first hour they returned to start point, ate and drank beer at the feed station until they felt no more then went home. He is fortunate to live 45 mins away and was not the designated driver !!

@tp – the Avoriaz/Morzine descent is a highlight ordinarily, I can imagine it as quite spicey in the wet

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Anyone do the passportes this year?’ is closed to new replies.