Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone been skiing in Keystone, Colorado?
  • roblerner
    Free Member

Going for a 'conference' in ~3 weeks – any good tips on places to hire ski gear near 'Lakeside Village' (skis and boots, I have all the rest), best runs etc? I thought I might have a lesson on the first day to get back in the swing, has anyone been with any of the various schools before?

Gravy
    Free Member

I think you would be a lot better off at the Copper Mountain area, just a little bit better set up so you can get more runs in. I was there 2 years ago.

roblerner
    Free Member

stuck with keystone I'm afraid, conference is there and I have to talk science in the morning and evenings (skiing in the daytime and maybe night though).

Bunnyhop

I've been a couple of times in the 1990's, so can't really help you.
    It's a good idea to have a refresher lesson.

They also have ski hosts, who guide from morning until lunch time, if you're on your own or can't be bothered constantly reading a piste (trail) map they're a good idea.

aracer
    Free Member

I went skiing there about 15 years ago – I'm guessing things have changed somewhat since then, but in general the mountains will all still be in the same place. Can't really help much with hiring gear or runs – I hired kit at the resort base. ISTR getting the lifts over to the "outback", which was definitely a good place to head for. Certainly worth skiing there IMHO, at least for a few days – I had 3 days skiing there and at A-Basin tacked onto the end of a conference I went to in Boulder, and don't regret not travelling further. Though I suppose my opinion might be slightly biased by having a couple of wonderful powder days there (a foot or so of light Colorado powder sitting on top of a pisted base is so much fun, and also wonderfully easy to ski). If you're a good enough skiier, then also worth heading up the road to A-Basin (most of the runs there are single or double black diamond).

scuttler

Skied there about 10 years back and really enjoyed it (two weeks in Breckenridge but visited Keystone twice, as well as Vail x3 , Beaver Creek x2, A-basin) so it must have been OK. I remember it being quite linear, basically three mountains one after the other with the best stuff (i.e. most powder stashes) at the back. I can't rememeber how long it took to get to the back but it's not a big European style area so I'd imagine its about 25-30 mins if you made a bee-line. As ever with skiing in the US things just work and the food's good and reasonably priced. Enjoy it.

And remember you're at altitude so if you ski as soon as you get there don't try and take on the world – loads of water and less beer. And if you go up to A-basin it's really high and if you're in powder it will knock your t**s off if you don't consider the effort involved.

Enjoy it you lucky git 😉

clubber
    Free Member

I went to breckenridge on my honeymoon in 2006 and the skiing there was great. We did one day at keystone which was pretty cool bur I can't really recall any details I'm afraid but I'm sure you'll have a great time.

On tip – check out the pearl izumi outlet store nearby (silverthorn iirc) as they have loads of cycling kit.

Bunnyhop

I remember Arapahoe basin ( A-Basin) being one of the coldest places I've every skied, brrrrrrr.

roblerner
    Free Member

Is it much higher than the alps?

Thanks for the tips. I've never skied outside of Europe before, but sounds like it'll be good fun.

Bunnyhop

Very high.
    You will get altitude sickness, as above, drink loads of water and just take it easy for a couple of days.
    It's really weird even walking up a flight of stairs can get you out of breath.

Have fun.

aracer
    Free Member

I didn't remember about the altitude – having spent 5 days in Boulder I'd acclimatised before I got there. I do remember A-Basin being extremely cold though!

clubber
    Free Member

Yes it's very high. Much more than the alps – Denver is already a mile up and that's before even starting the climb up to the mountains. That said most people have no problems (altitude sickness isn't unusual but it's not the norm) other than constantly being thirsty (use the humidifier if there's one in your hotel room) and getting out of breath much quicker than you expect. Oh and you get pissed really easily 🙂

oh and bring much warmer kit than you would for the alps. Goggles and proper fleece neck buff are a must IMO

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Cold and high. I really like Keystone over Brek.

Click for info here

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been skiing in Keystone, Colorado?’ is closed to new replies.