Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Anybody use a rowing machine?
  • Wally

Are they any good for keeping fit or very likely to be used as much as my 8 year old nearly new turbo trainer?

donsimon
    Free Member

I used to train an a Concept 2 and loved it, I could easily knock out 20.000m in a session time being the only restraint.
    But they are not for everyone and many people hate them, I guess in the same way as I can’t get my head around training on a turbo…

TooTall
    Free Member

Apart from swimming, the only exercise to use every major muscle group IIRC. Really good workout, but Concept 2 is the benchmark machine.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Used to use one a lot… (30 min+ / day) when I was rowing. Concept II is the only realy option though (unless there is a concept III or simmilar)

Yes they keep you fit but technique is critical – doing it right takes a significant amount of practice and is much easier if you also row in a boat. Doing it wrongly is both in-efficient and a quick way to injure your back. Don’t put the resistance up to 10 assuming it is the best thing to do, most rowers would have it on between 4 & 6 unless doing specific training.

I would suggest trying one at a gym before deciding to buy one. If you don’t use the turbo as you don’t like the pain and suffering you’re not going to find it any less painful / suffering on a rower. If you don’t use the turbo because of phaff (hooking up the bike etc) then just jumping on the rower is considerably easier.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I use a concept 2 at the gym. I really like rowing, I do intervals racing to 2k or use it to warm up or sometimes just row. My girlfriend doesn’t like them, I agree they divide opinion. Once you get a good technique you can get good results, I’ve seen rambo types turn the dial to 10 and batter away with the cable going everywhere sweating loads but only covering 35 strokes per minute.

Northwind

It feels like a good workout but it’s also pretty horrible. I used one a lot as physio when I broke my hip as I couldn’t run, but I really didn’t enjoy the experience much. In theory there’s a 5 minute fast rowing session in my gym routine but in practice it’s the one bit I always look for an excuse to skip 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

technique is critical

This.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Darcy… do you have any tips on technique please? 🙂

ianpinder
    Free Member

I’ve seen rambo types turn the dial to 10 and batter away with the cable going everywhere sweating loads but only covering 35 strokes per minute.

That shows your inexperience. You van easily achieve 1:30 500m splits at 30 strokes per minute with proper technique.

Edric64
    Free Member

Whats a good stroke rate on a concept 2? I use it on 10 at 38 strokes but have not really looked into whats good regardng stroke rate and time over 2000m race distance.

donsimon
    Free Member

What’s your objective Edric64? It seems a bit of a strange question.
    The ergo was generally used for perfecting technique and building fitness rather than competing on, although there are dry rowing competitions.
    That said I would guess, if my memory serves me well, that steady state rowing would be in the region of 30-35 strokes per minute for a head race and 35-38 for a sprint. But I might be way off.

Mush
    Free Member

When I rowed, I found them to be very much a necessary evil, but they will make you strong like bear.

Suggest you look out for a concept 2 as others have pointed out. Like anything exercise-related, take it easy at first. Stick the display up high to keep your head up, resistance no higher than 5 and long, steady and powerful stroke rate rather than frenzied and fruitless.

They’re pretty noisy and bulky things so check you’ve got a suitable space (wipe-clean surfaces essential of course).

donsimon
    Free Member

Thinking about the noise, has anyone ever used a waterrower? As effective as the Concept? Quieter?

aracer
    Free Member

Apart from swimming, the only exercise to use every major muscle group IIRC

Untrue in all sorts of ways. Rowing doesn’t use every major muscle group (not to any significant extent for many of them) – you do use both upper and lower body, but that’s not the same thing at all. Similar for swimming, which significantly under utilises the lower body. XC skiing uses more muscle groups than either.

Regarding rowing, I find a rowing machine far less inherently boring than a turbo – then again I’ve done far less in the way of long sessions on an ergo, so maybe it’s just down to that.

TooTall
    Free Member

Every large muscle group will contribute to this action

Rowing machines are one of the few pieces of gym equipment that exercise practically every single muscle group you have

Not just me thinking it then. So – if a rowing machine works shoulders, back, arms, core and legs, what major muscle groups am I missing?

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Concept2 for a couple of years (started at the gym then bought my own).

Great piece of kit, especially plugging it into a computer with RowPro software (a bit clunky, but has good training plans, custom workouts and online racing).

Lots of hints, tips and suggestions at the Concept2 UK Forum.

They also make the SkiErg.

For what it’s worth most of the RowPro training plan sessions involve 20 strokes per minute at 80% max HR to build strength (hard pull, slow recovery). Resistance set at 5.

My wife has made positive comments about the improvements to my physique, so it must be working, right?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

if a rowing machine works shoulders, back, arms, core and legs, what major muscle groups am I missing

It works stuff from the core (not the waist) up only a little. 75-80% of a stroke is through the legs. The upper body is all about finessing the stroke.

There are simpler exercises to perform if you want to “work” the upper body. If your arms are hurting and feeling “worked”, then you’re doing it wrongly.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i want to be strong like bear.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Phil, you are strong in so many beautiful wayz.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

“I’ve seen rambo types turn the dial to 10 and batter away with the cable going everywhere sweating loads but only covering 35 strokes per minute.
    That shows your inexperience. You van easily achieve 1:30 500m splits at 30 strokes per minute with proper technique.”

I was being sarcastic at the people who hammer away on the machines, sit next to you and assume your interested in a race. Seems like i didn’t convey it very well. 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

anyone able to link some kinda video or image/visual of the correct technique for using a rowing machine? i used the one at the gym last night for the first time in weeks and i’m concerned that my arm/back pain could be down to technique and not 100% caused by recent/long standing injuries

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAfyFTzZDMM[/video]

oldnpastit

anyone able to link some kinda video or image/visual of the correct technique for using a rowing machine?

I always got told off for bum shoving. Avoid that and you’re probably ok.

You end up with your bum overtaking your shoulders, not generating very much power, and finish with dreadful back ache.

http://www.britishrowing.org/rowing-stroke

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Straight back and swing from the hips Philly.

Thinking about the noise, has anyone ever used a waterrower? As effective as the Concept? Quieter?

No experience of a water rower, but most of the noise on a Concept 2 seems to come from the seat rumbling backwards and forwards on it’s runners, not the whirring fan, so I wouldn’t expect much difference.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Re Water Rowers: Shop here in Chester sells ex contract gym equipment. I had a try on a water rower a few weeks ago. It made a sloshing sound on the first few strokes till you had a bit of a rhythm. Apparently they are expensive to maintain compared to Concepts and they are much heavier and can’t be stored as easily should you not want the machine out all the time.

Jason
    Free Member

If you haven’t got the motivation to use the turbo trainer, you will probably struggle with the indoor rower too.

When I used to be a paid up gym member I did use the Concept2 alot (furthest I ever did in one sitting was a marathon distance), it gives an excellent all round work, however you do need the motivation to push yourself on it. On something like a running machine you can set the speed and just hang on until the end. On the C2 you have to give it 100% on every stroke.

Personally I would look at finding some motivation for the turbo trainer. Have you looked at Sufferfest films?

ajc
    Free Member

I have a water rower and they have a lovely smooth action and not too noisy. My wife is a physio and has competed rowing at a high level and really rates it. As above its not an easy alternative to a turbo.

ajc
    Free Member

I have a water rower and they have a lovely smooth action and not too noisy. My wife is a physio and has competed rowing at a high level and really rates it. As above its not an easy alternative to a turbo.

philconsequence
    Free Member

hmmmmm think i’ve got pretty good technique then… keeping my back straight and bum never overtakes it. thought i might have been doing it wrong as half the gym users seem to do a dramatic bum-led motion.

i did 2k last night, for i am a machine :mrgreen:

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What’s your 2k time philmachine?

monkfish
    Free Member

I have a Concept 2 at home which I use about 3 times a week, in the Winter that gets upped to about 5 times a week.

Technique is crucial and the Concept2 UK forum is a very good place to get solid info. I used to be a gym warrior cranking the lever to 10 and going at a spm of 35 and then wondering why I could never get a 10k under 40 minutes.

Rowing is very conducive to bike fitness as the power from the stroke comes from the legs not the arms.

For a good training program I would recommend the pete plan over at c2

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Oh sounds like whenever I’ve used the rowing machine I’ve been doing it wrong.

In no way am I rambo but I’ve been cracking that resistance (mistakenly??) up to 10 and grinding it out slow n hard, with a stoke rate of low 20s.

Thinking about it, guess that’s like grinding a big gear up a hill on your bike and therefore probably not the best technique.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Try almost lifting your bum off the seat through the drive.

clubber
    Free Member

I think most of the above have it right – Concept 2 is the standard but a bit noisy at home. A water rower is very smooth and quieter but IMO not such a good out-and-out machine.

Get the technique right though is the most important thing – rowing is a pretty counter-intuitive sport as most of the things you feel make you go faster actually don’t and often they’ll help knacker your back/etc.

If you can be bothered, take a video of your rowing technique side on and compare to the ‘how-to’ on British rowing or the Concept 2 site as what you think you’re doing and what you actually are doing is quite often very different 🙂

Settings-wise, the drag factor (Concept 2) is what matters. Standards are 140 for middle/heavyweights (eg most people) and 135 for lightweights (the snippy skinny guys under 75kg). That usually equates to a setting between 4 and 5 on a concept. Setting 10 can be useful for specific strength training but is pretty bad if your technique isn’t good.

As for rating (strokes per min), technique will determine that to a large extent. Lots of gym hardmen will be rating 30-40 but only taking strokes that are effective for about 1 foot. Proper technique will drop your rating to the 20s most likely but you’ll go faster as you’ll actually effectively move the handle several feet.

Finally, rowing is all about the legs – lower back and to a much lesser extent the arms are used but they’re really the glamour bit – they do little more than finish things off.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I can’t wait to do my Tabata intervals on the rower this evening now… super excited 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

ummm it was 9minutes and about 20 seconds ish… level 6.

nuffink special, but considering i’ve got two dodgy shoulders recovering from different injuries i was happy i made it past 1k 😀 I was expecting my arms to die after 30seconds.

then i had to wait for some beast of a woman to eventually get off the exercise bike so i could use my legs in a circular motion for the first time in 2 weeks, nearly gave up waiting and went, just as i text a friend telling him i’d be over in 2 minutes she got off leaving a warm damp seat 😐

tune in next week to find out if phil used the exercise bike…

I’ve heard that a drag factor of 140 on a Concept 2 is the standard setting. You’ll need to adjust the lever on the side and try a few test pulls to get there.
    Setting it this way ensures all your workouts are done with the same resistance, regardless of which machine you use at the gym or how much dust has accumulated on the fan since the last time you used your own machine.
    It also impresses other people at the gym and makes it look like you know what you’re doing if you fiddle with the controls and display before starting. 😉

clubber
    Free Member

philconsequence – Member
    ummm it was 9minutes and about 20 seconds ish… level 6.

At the risk of it sounding like willy waving…

That’s a pretty slow score which suggests then that your technique isn’t very effective as I’ll bet that your fitness is good enough for sub 8 minutes at least. Focus on technique a bit and you’ll get much more out of using the rowing machine.

clubber
    Free Member

It also impresses other people at the gym and makes it look like you know what you’re doing if you fiddle with the controls and display before starting.

IME it just means that the hardmen line up to take their turn next to you to show you just how good they are…

philconsequence
    Free Member

not willy waving at all 🙂

i’ve probably only done about 30k total on rowing machines in my whole life, so there’s bound to be many improvements to be made with regards to technique and ability… as with weight loss, i’d rather do it slowly and maintain the positive changes than end up harming myself.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Anybody use a rowing machine?’ is closed to new replies.