Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Anybody ride to work ?
  • sam69
    Free Member

Thinking of buying a bike to ride to work ,it’s got to stay locked up outside all day, anybody post photos on what they ride to work ,single speed,may be gears not sure,nothing to flash just after any ideas please,with photos thank you..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I ride all the time. My bike is made to look as crap as possible while riding really nicely and reliably. I also have a lock that cost well over a hundred quid and weighs 3 kgs

IMG_3470 by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

I do feel slightly guilty at doing this to a decent bike

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Yep, no pics handy. I use a kona jake the snake with road tyres on, 20 miles each way, love it.

mrlugz
    Free Member

Redline monocog. Only 7 miles each way but I almost always ride in. no pics though.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Do it. I used to do alot on MTB’s (SS) and a SS road bike. Now I walk to work as it is so close.

Yep a 1993 Performance. It weighs about the same as I do, is a very dashing green colour and has DT shifters. It gets chucked into a corner where there’s loads of other more valuable stuff. Cost me $50, and creaks unnervingly when going downhill.

mildred

Yup, most days on my Blood, sometimes on the Helius ST (all 44lb of it), and soon on my yet to be delivered Carbon Scott road bike.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Security’s not really an issue for me down here in sunny Perth, so many people ride into work that it seems that every office has a secure lock up and showers. All of my bikes look cheap when hung up next to a cervelo/bianchi etc so if someone did get into these places then mine would probably be way down the list of things to take, even though they’re pretty nice bikes..

I have got an old steel rocky mountain which is all black, v brakes, rigid fork – nice ride but invisible when locked up in town, especially against black railings!

takisawa2

Kona Ute here, carries the kids plus baggage to school then me on to work. Site is pretty secure, but I’ve a lock just in case. If we’re heading in to town I use a motorbike chain & lock. Weight isn’t really an issue as the thing weighs 40lb anyway.

sam69
    Free Member

The Redline monocog,and the jake look great and just the sort of thing will do the job i think thanks guys

mogrim

I ride some cheap steel Decathlon thing, cost me 50eurs second-hand. Weighs a ton, v-brakes, semi-slick tyres etc. Basically I wanted something that I wouldn’t be too bothered about if it got stolen.

I think the rack I stuck on the back’s probably worth more than the bike 🙂

zerocool

I ride a Specialized Langster Monaco edition. Single speed is perfect for Hertfordshire as there are no real hills (moved up from Devon). Stuck some slightly fatter tyres on it and got rid of the uncomfortable Track bars and it’s great. Handle the 5 miles of fireroad/dirt as well as the road parts.

allthegear
    Free Member

Most days on my Brompton. Love it.

Rachel

miketually
    Free Member

I ride to/from work every term-time weekday. It’s only 2.5 miles each way so any bike would be fine.

Main commuter is a bright orange Yuba Mundo cargo bike. Have also used my Inbred and my custom fixietwat bike.

My Mundo has full mudguards and a basket on the front. I’m going to fit a chainguard before next winter too.

theflatboy
    Free Member

every day. on one pompetamine. i have the benefit of a secure garage at work to lock it up, but i do generally leave it locked all over the place while i’m in the shops etc. and so far so good.

sobriety
    Free Member

Every day on a SS charge plug. I’m allowed to leave it behind my desk, which makes security less of a worry.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Just buy an old steel kona and wrap it in inner tube. Lovely ride will last years and cheap second hand.

_tom_
    Free Member

Used to but i work 35 miles away from home now so i can’t be arsed with that! Considered parking 10-15 miles away and cycling that but its such an easy commute straight down the M1 anyway.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Managed to get this Scott sub30 2nd hand off a workmate for only £120. He’d only used it 3-4 time to come to work on so was practically brand new. Maybe a touch to small for me but have managed a100k ride with It without any ill effects. Never come straight to work, always add a few miles on especially at this time off year when I’m on earlys. Being out in the trough of bowland at 5am and seeing all the wildlife is great, makes you feel alive. The advent of strava has also brought a new dimension to he commute as well, managed to get into a few top tens whitch considering the high proportion of roadies round these parts isn’t to bad.

avdave2

My bike is made to look as crap as possible

I think for once the entire stw community will agree with you TJ. 🙂

I ride everyday I’m in the office, a hub geared rigid bike all through the winter, and what has tried to pass as a summer so far and a hardtail when it’s nice. 6 miles each way 5 miles of it off road though tonight with the sun shining it’ll be a 25 mile route home.

franki
    Free Member

I ride to work every day on my SS Genesis Io. (Now it’s been relegated to commuting / canals etc by the arrival of a Fortitude SS.)
    It’s left outside, but in a locked metal shed with a camera on it.
    SS is the way to go for commuting, as I cba to clean it very often when it’s used every day, no matter what the weather. Much cheaper and easier to keep running than a geared bike.

IainFP
    Free Member

Yep, ride to work everyday/night. Either the Hustler or an Evo6 or if I’m feeling energetic/brave I’ll risk a spin on the road bike. Reduced to walking when the weather is really bad as my route takes me along the seafront, at times I’ve barely been able to move trying to pedal into howling winds (mind the ride home can be blistering)! 8)

GrahamS

I try to ride in once or twice a week. Old steel Rock Lobster 853 converted to commuting duties with 1.5 Conti slicks, bell, mudguards, phone holder, Lumi and Carradice bag

Mudguards to be replaced with full length SKS Chromos in time for Autumn.

rocketman
    Free Member

Anybody ride to work ?

yes it was most excellent:

an extra 10 mins in bed!

stormtrooper
    Free Member

@OP
    Kona Paddy Wagon here. Singlespeed is perfect for the 11 mile each way commute through Manchester.

@bjj.andy.w
    I drove through the Trough of Bowland a couple of weekends ago – a truly beautiful part of the world. So jealous this is your commute (and I know what you mean about the number of roadies!).

jonba
    Free Member

looks a bit different now with full mudguards and various bits have worn out since this photo and been replaced

Inbred frame, cheap steal fork, wheels from merlin (mach 1 rims on LX hubs) singlespeed (48:16) cheap tyres. Most finishing kit is retired from my nicer bikes.

GrahamS

SS is the way to go for commuting, as I cba to clean it very often when it’s used every day, no matter what the weather. Much cheaper and easier to keep running than a geared bike.

Or Alfine?

http://www.on-one.co.uk/reviews/pompetamine-reviews/

sam69
    Free Member

KONA PADDY looks nice,and the spec langster ,anybody have frame and forks for sale?

hosepipe
    Free Member

sold car. now ride to work year round. i’ve got some fancy old bikes, but didn’t want to ruin them so bought a cheap inbred as it can take racks and stuff. surly troll forks for more racks if ever needed but this setup seems fine. singlespeed at mo but soon to be 2 speed with paul melvin. waterproof trousers were my bestest most useful purchase when i went carless!

hosting images

angryratio
    Free Member

Pompino singlespeed with v brakes and drops.

jam-bo

Rode for the first time last week. Drove in thursday, rode 34 miles home, rode a different route in at 6am for another 28miles. 6000ft of climbing in that too so I think I ate the equivalent of what I saved in diesel….

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Anybody ride to work ?’ is closed to new replies.