Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Anybody else stuck in work waiting to be told they can leave?
  • funkmasterp

Just wondering if anybody else is in the same boat? We have this every year. Come in on the last day and sit around doing nothing until somebody tells us we can go.

Every other bugger in my office booked today off, so I’m sat with Sonos on full blast having a Skype conversation with a colleague who’s working from home.I’m waiting for one customer to place some orders before I go. I’ve never posted as much on here as I have this morning

freeagent
    Free Member

We’ve already been told it is a 12.30 finish today.
    TBH this is why I rarely book the last day before Christmas off – feels like a waste of leave when I can be home before lunch.

weeksy

Not really.. i’m only here because i’m waiting for Swinley later with STwers. But i’m only sitting on the sofa watching Hammer Horror movie, not actually in the office.

cheese@4p

We have just been told that we can finish at 12. So the wife will put me to work this aft.

cpon
    Free Member

Yes, we went out yesterday afternoon, then I carried on into last night. MD said don’t bother coming in early, however I’ve a young family so a lie in is not an option, I was the first in the office, and I’ll be the first out. Probably lunchtime.

IHN

Knocking off at 11:30, enough to do to keep me ticking over till then.

cpon
    Free Member

We have just been told that we can finish at 12. So the wife will put me to work this aft.

Don’t tell her, perfect afternoon to go christmas shopping with the odd refreshment stop.

whitestone
    Free Member

1430 for us

P-Jay
    Free Member

Sort of, we may, or may not have an early finish today – as ever it’s out of my hands, it depends on the guys on the Helpdesk clearing all the jobs down. Last day is usually 12:30, but as the Boss reminded us yesterday, that’s usually because it’s Xmas Even and not “Friday”.

Not that it makes much difference to me – I’ve not got much on – it’s more of a sit around and wait for something to go wrong – I’ve got my Son with me today, he’s in the office next door plaing Star Wars on the Boss’s PC – I have to leave today at 11am to drive to Newport to collect something, back to Cardiff to pick up my Daughter and work from home this afternoon.

Gary_M
    Free Member

3:30 finnish for me, team breakfast, secret santa, then a wee bit of work to see me through till then.

theotherjonv

sort of – boss closed yesterday night but I run a satellite office, so make my own rules. Everyone else is off but i came in as I have some paperwork to finish, and i need to be here for a guaranteed morning courier.

After which i too am running to Swinley to meet up with weeksy

mechanicaldope

Think our place are being told they have to work till 5 as usual. That will go down well… Luckily I don’t choose for the rules to apply to me so am gonna call it a day about 2.

Northwind

I’ve got some visitors coming in at 12 so I think after I give them a tour of the uni in this mental storm, that’ll be me done 😆

You can see my boss is desperate to go “**** it, let’s go!” but he’s not that sort of boss. Not his fault, he’s just waiting for someone to tell him what to do 😆

funkmasterp

Thinking about it I should have taken the laptop home last night and avoided being here. 😕

Then again listening to my own music and not Funkmaster Jr’s toddler choices is quite novel. I might stay all day 😆

mudshark
    Free Member

Client mgr took yesterday PM off and today so I left at lunch yesterday and WFH today – mostly watching films.

NewRetroTom

Sat at work, but unfortunately we had a cheery email round from the boss to say that it’s a normal working day. So I’ll be here until 5. 🙁

iain1775
    Free Member

like an fool I booked my car in for a service today
    So after getting here* at the crack of dawn to get the car in as early as possible (the bloke looked at me and jokingly said “so your the idiot we have been cursing all week” :lol:) I am now waiting for it to be finished before I can leave

And they had better wash it 🙂

*our plant and fleet department are on the same site so they are doing the service

Sundayjumper

Hoping to be allowed out by 3pm, but boss is a workaholic who would happily keep everyone here until 10pm to prove a point if he was in “that” kind of mood.

So far, he’s not.

steve_b77
    Free Member

The site teams are off at 11, so I’m outta here sooner rather than later

Coyote
    Free Member

I’ll start letting my team go from about 1300. Steady trickle out with me leaving last at about 1530 – 1600.

iain1775
    Free Member

I can’t leave until I have read fresh goods friday 😉

Northwind

It’s quite windy now, I wonder if I could get away with throwing a big branch through a window and declaring everything Too Dangerous?

funkmasterp

Do it Northwind – even your forum name implies it should be so 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m sitting on the sofa watching “Castaway” which in some mad reference point is similar to your situation..

Oh, hang on..

I can turn it awf.

Endure your torture, it’ll be over before you know it.

Northwind

funkmasterp – Member

Do it Northwind – even your forum name implies it should be so

It’s my mortal enemy, Southsouthwestwind.

tomhoward

Expecting to be told I can leave around 230-3, but no hard and fast rule

Nothing. To. Do.

mazz
    Free Member

Sat in the office – a few of the team here.

Christmas choons wafting around.

One of the team walks in, Proclaims a hatred of chrimbo. Asks for the music to be turned down!! (err…that’ll be a no then!)

And (despite having plenty of space around us, and plenty of rooms to sit in – away from the racket that is xmas musak) she’s on a call in the midle of us, raising her voice!!!

Scrooge!!

Oh well, a couple of us heading out for a Bucks Fizz or two in a short while

ian-r

Working from home today. Boss on leave already but I have to hang around for……
    Nope I’m done 😀

Gary_M
    Free Member

So after getting here* at the crack of dawn to get the car in as early as possible (the bloke looked at me and jokingly said “so your the idiot we have been cursing all week” :lol:) I am now waiting for it to be finished before I can leave

What if your car needs a part that’s not in stock? Will you be working Christmas Day? 🙂

the-muffin-man

Yep – boss hasn’t even turned in yet, so we’ll probably be here till 5pm.

ourmaninthenorth

By the start of December I had just over half my annual leave allowance remaining (which is good going by even my usual standards).

So I finished work on Wednesday (at around lunchtime to have a final farewell lunch with my no ex-boss), and shall be returning in the second week of January.

I’ve had my first lie-in this morning since this time last year. Now time to get up and try to squeeze in all the Christmas preparations.

JAG

Yes – it’s the annual ‘can we/can’t we’ do-se-do your boss event 🙄

ferrals
    Free Member

I’ve been on holiday for a week.. yet I’ve still spent every day working a few hours a day 😕 probably would have to if i didn’t waste time on STW 😳

NZCol

I’m the boss and yet I seem to be the only sucker actually at work ! Where did it all go wrong I ask myself….

Drac

5.30am for me but then I had worked my full shift.

toby1

I’m in the office – but even if I go early there are no fast trains till 16.40, so may have to go for a post work beer.

Camden Christmas today; 3 piles of sick between the station and the office and a bloke getting arrested at Costa just before 10!

Harry_the_Spider

1:00pm and I’m out of here faster than sh1t through a goose.

sweepy
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2oclock appt to take a client to the gym, then I’m gone

zbonty

1:00pm and I’m out of here faster than sh1t through a goose.

Me too. Woohooo!

oomidamon

‘Normal working day’ here too, just a few saddos have dragged ourselves in. Hoping to get the nod around 2.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Anybody else stuck in work waiting to be told they can leave?’ is closed to new replies.