Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • any sparkies in?
  • petrieboy

our 70’s semi has an old fuse box that i’d like to replace with a nice modern and safe consumer unit. i’d also like a couple of extra rings put in, one for the garage (where the fuse box is located) for running tools, lawnmower etc, and one in a cupboard that houses hifi, computer and network equipment. this cupboard backs onto the garage just next to the fuse board so just need to drill a couple of holes and we’re good to go.

access to the existing fuse box is clear, and all the wiring in place gives no cause for concern so i’m hoping this is a simple job.

so, if i fit and wire the rings in the garage and cupboard leaving wires un-connected ready for the spark to check and commission when he changes the consumer unit, is that likely to pose a problem? and how much should i expect to pay (obviously i’ll get a couple of quotes, but good to have an idea)

kennyfinest
    Free Member

assuming all existing wiring(and earth bonding ) is ok a new consumer unit/test and cert should def not be more than 450 i reckon (with cheap board). depends on where you live i guess. can do ya a good price if ya live near ipswich 😉

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Just call around a few places, that’s what I did when I needed something similar doing.
    As long as he can check the wiring runs (i.e. they’re not plastered over), you may be able to get away with that.

petrieboy

yeah wiring will all be on the surface. kenny – i had it in mind it’d be 2 hours labour max? is there more to it than i think??

oh – herts/cambridge border so probably outside your catchment?

kennyfinest
    Free Member

the only possible problem is faults with existing wiring, as your old board (prob) wont have a trip, installing one may expose faults that need to be rectified. Nine times outta ten though if the cable is pvc and the house hasnt been **** around with by incompetant people over the years, it will prob be ok.

kennyfinest
    Free Member

yeah bit outside my area, you could def get it done for 400 odd though i reckon. prob best to look for niceic registered companies if you dont know em. good luck

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘any sparkies in?’ is closed to new replies.