• This topic has 15 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by dangh.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Any skinheads/ex-skinheads in today?
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

I kinda get the culture from where it grew out of – working class mods etc. but, and this is possibly a daft question, are there any ‘rules’ in terms of clothes.

I’m not talking, why Dr Martens (or whoever now that DMs aren’t made in UK), or Staprest or Ben Sherman shirts. I’m more thinking of any ‘messages’ etc. – e.g does wearing braces down mean anything. Shoelace colour? Any significance of bleached jeans? Why do groups seem to almost be matching all the time (Combat jacket, white shirt, jeans one day, but different clothes the next).

Genuinely interested, haven’t bumped into my skinhead pal for ages, always keep meaning to ask him.

duckman

Up here,different coloured braces meant different schemes. I remember red laces being significant in having NF links when worn with black dm boots.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Up here,different coloured braces meant different schemes. I remember red laces being significant in having NF links when worn with black dm boots.

Ah, wasn’t sure if red was a left-wing thing or not and the white was ‘white power’/right wing.

Pigface
    Free Member

Harrington, 16 hole DM, tramlines in the hair = NF when I was growing up, Oi skinheads.

benji
    Free Member

I never knew coloured laces meant anything, wore red laces with ex army boots for most of my university days, just liked how they looked. Last year of uni I did have a mohican more because I could and it was my last chance before entering work.

ernie67

Red laces was definitely a show of support for the NF .

Sundayjumper

…wasn’t sure if red was a left-wing thing…
    Skinheads aren’t known for their leftish tendancies… quite the opposite.

Punk was much more left wing, plus the whole straight edge scene in punk (no drink, no drugs, probably vegetarian or vegan).

theotherjonv

I was just a bit young to understand the culture, but enjoyed some of the music, and this area fascinates me. Looking back at it, a lot of the original skinhead culture of the late 70’s early 80’s seemed to grow from the Jamaican/Ska/ Mod scene, which doesn’t seem particularly NF friendly to me. When did the right wing start to take over, because I definitely remember by the time I became aware enough to notice it that skinheads were most likely to be nasty fascist racists.

Any good books to read about it all?

SaxonRider

no drink, no drugs, probably vegetarian or vegan

No wonder punks were so angry.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’m more thinking of any ‘messages’ etc. – e.g does wearing braces down mean anything. Shoelace colour? Any significance of bleached jeans?

yes and no.

from wikipedia (on braces)

The particular colours chosen have varied regionally, and have had totally different meanings in different areas and time periods. Only skinheads from the same area and time period are likely to interpret the colour significations accurately.

colours are more likely to mean something to more politically minded skins, as opposed to ‘trad’ skins (more music/ fashion/ subculture focussed).

shoe laces can be colours of football team, a fashion accessory or a political statement. Personally i wouldn’t wear white laces as i know some people interpret that as white power; although i’m sure some people think DMs is enough.

a lot of the original skinhead culture of the late 70’s early 80’s

that’s the revival. original skins were 10 years earlier.

MrWoppit
    Free Member
    failedengineer

I was a mod right at the end of the scene, 1970-’71. Skinheads were gradually ‘evolving’ around that time – we had a fair bit in common at first, but their clothes were more extreme (DMs, baggy jeans, white or red socks) and of course they took the mods’ short hair to the extreme. The football hooligan thing was also getting going around the same time. We ‘mods’ weren’t particularly political, but it became quickly apparent that the skins were (mainly) very right-wing. That’s how I remember it anyway. It was a good mod scene in East Lancs, Sigh ……

oldfart

I was 15 in 1970 so 2nd generation skin . Don’t recall any significance re braces , laces etc , I just loved the look and the music . Used to go to football , never really into violence especially one Bank Holiday when we got chased by a group of pissed up proper Hells Angels , I got cornered in a car park , remembered being scared shitless !
    Still love the look now , even got the hair cut ( unintentionally ! ) Just turned 60 , bought a pair of Oxblood DMs a Harrington , Levi’s and a couple Ben Shermans 🙂

ton

i suppose i would call myself a old skinhead/ska boy/mod. always wore the clothes in my youth/teens, love the music still, northern soul, motown, ska.

it was how you dressed/what you did where i grew up.
    but we always wore oxblood boots with yellow laces and kept the stitching yellow and clean with a toothbrush.

as for the NF thing, it was not on our agenda at all.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Skinheads aren’t known for their leftish tendancies… quite the opposite.

quite the opposite

dangh
    Free Member

Skinheads = ska
    what?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Any skinheads/ex-skinheads in today?’ is closed to new replies.