Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • any payroll experts?? Hr/ accountants. Bank holiday question
  • burmaboy
    Free Member

Having a dispute with my company accountant. My contract states I get 24 days holiday plus bank holidays.

We were all asked if we could work the Good Friday holiday, 10am-4pm no lunch break ,for time and half pay and a day of in lieu.

Some of us agreed. So I have just looked at March’s pay slip and it says we only get 4 hours overtime at normal rate. Our accountant is saying this is because we are contracted to work 5 days a week.

1. I dont know where she got 4 hours from. ??? any help

and

2.Am I right in thinking, working a bank holiday when it is not included in our contract should mean we are paid the hours we worked extra on top of our normal salary!

joemarshall
    Free Member

The day in lieu thing means that you can take off one of your other normal working days, and you worked the bank holiday instead of that, so you get an extra day off. It is just swapping a day of holiday around, so you don’t get any extra pay for the day swap as such.

However you were on time and a half, so you do actually get the extra half-day of pay, which is what the 4 hours is for.

I would keep quiet if you actually worked 6 hours, as they only really owe you 3 hours overtime.

burmaboy
    Free Member

cheers Joe..

FuzzyWuzzy

Joe’s explanation makes sense, although if I was told I’d get time and a half + a day in lieu I’d be expecting 9 hours pay + a day off (and that’s actually what we would get where I work). They should have made it clear the day off in lieu would actually be instead of the x1 and you just get x0.5 pay on what you actually worked.

nickc

Are you paid hourly or do you get a salary? If its hourly and it’s time and a half and TOIL then I’d expect 3 hours and no change to my holiday entitlement ( ie the missed bank holiday added back in)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘any payroll experts?? Hr/ accountants. Bank holiday question’ is closed to new replies.