Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any opinions on this please?
  • Kryton57

I’ve been offered a used one at a bargain basement price. Anyone know if they are any good?

http://www.peakcyclesport.com/bikes/road-bikes/forme-zenith-2011.html

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A quick look at the specs would suggest yes. Full Dura Ace groupset, Dura Ace wheels and probably a reasonable frame and fork. Id have it if its a bargain.

Kryton57

Thanks, but what ‘m really after is a summary of the frame / ride. I’m after a comfy well handling neutral bike – I had my eye on a Trek Madone for that reason.

Anyone else have any ride experience?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not ridden one, but some advice (for what it’s worth…)

Don’t buy a bike because of the fancy trinkets dangled upon it groupset.

Frame is EVERYTHING in a bike, then wheels. Shifting and braking are both also comparatively cheap to upgrade, a frame is not.

Ride it, then if you like it, buy it. Don’t buy without trying.

Kryton57

Thanks CF thats why I asked my second question. Need to try it for size first then a ride should happen i guess….

Junkyard
    Free Member

disagree CPT groupset is everything if the frame is the right size [ for your legs*] the stem can be easily changed for reach/comfort etc

FFS its a road bike it wont be comfy
    PS if you are wondering about the comfort then you are not trying hard enough as you should only notice the burning sensation in your lungs and legs

No use having a 46 cm bike if you are 6 foot 3 but you get the point

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Indeed.

A Madone is a nice, neutral riding frame, IMHO. Not too twitchy, not too long.

I suppose another question is, what sort of riding are you after, and what sort of rider are you?

My fave road bike of recent years, was this;

Now, ordinarily, I’m not a fan of the Italian road frame style. Too edgy, nervy in handling. But this was a revelation. (Rode it in Di2 flavour, with some pimp Fulcrums). So, stable, yet so flickable.

My point is, even if you have a potentially misjudged opinion already formed, a ride is all you need to decide. Even if it is a bargain! 😉

Only downside of the Superleggera? I had to give it back. 🙁

*Additional*
    Junky, I feel I need to disagree. Size isn’t everything (Fnaar). There’s more to it than that. On modern crabon fribe frames, the “feel” (And I know I sound like a tosspot for saying that) is important. How the weave has been laid up, where the deliberate flex is, where the deliberate stiffness (again, Fnaar!) is. Size is a part of a frame, I will agree, but it isn’t everything.

As above, I usually hate Italian frames. They don’t suit me. That Superleggera, though? Wow. Just perfect.

Kryton57

Well, I’m many years into MTB’ing and started with a road bike last September for Training purposes. As seems to be the way, I’ve fallen for it and enjoy it very much. I’m riding a second hand Trek 1.5 I bought foe the purpose (didn’t want to waste too much if I didn’t get on with road riding.

I mostly use it for 50, 70 and 100k training rides in the SE. I have been measureing comparing on Endo / Strava and I would like to try a Sportive at some point in the future.

I’d say I’m an all round kind of rider. I don’t excel on hills or decents but am able to turn a big gear at a constant pace on the flats. Before I had glandular fever 2 weeks ago I knocked out a 100k in 27.6kph average and am riding most my distances around that speed – I’ve done a 30k at 28.5kph

Not sure how else to describe my riding really. I’d decided on the Madone becuase of its recent review in Cycling Plus / price on the Focus also review there.

So really, its just the cheapness of this Forme which has made me look at it – I’ve no idea how it rides and don’t want an uncomfortable, difficult handling bike.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any opinions on this please?’ is closed to new replies.