Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Any one with foot drop?
  • cantbikewanttobike
    Free Member

I’ve got some nerve damage to my sciatic nerve which has caused foot drop on one side, using flat pedals feels a bit insecure – I lost the pedal on bumpy stuff a couple of times, clipped in feels much better but I struggle to get that foot out quickly, which is making me nervous on tech stuff where I might want to dab, or climbing switchbacks.

What has worked best for you? Any experience with the different afo devices?

swamptin
    Free Member

I did some nerve damage to my right leg a few years back. I only ride flats, can wrap my head around clipless. Anyway, it took a couple of months before I had fully gotten my motion back and control with me weight in my foot. Single leg squats. By the bucket load. Hand on a table for balance, force yourself to balance on the weak leg up and down. If you’re on the bike try to be conscious of where your heal is when pedaling on flats. But time, stretches, and squats might help.
    [edit] Hope you heal up ok. That kinda damage sucks. [/edit]

cantbikewanttobike
    Free Member

Thanks, there has been some improvement in foot control but a long way to go!

swamptin
    Free Member

Yeah, it’ll take some time to get it fully back. Other things that helped me were rolling my ankles when I was sat down and consciously wiggling my toes and rocking my foot in my shoes. Everything that’ll help you relearn how it wiggles and moves subtly will help.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Any one with foot drop?’ is closed to new replies.