Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Any mechanics in the house? Small amount of petrol in my diesel car….
  • santacruzsi
    Free Member

Help! 🙄

Just put 0.88 of a litre of unleaded in my 2007 (E90) BMW 3 series diesel. I filled the rest of the tank up with diesel after realising i’d put the unleaded in. The AA website says under 5 litres should be ok and drive as normal. I’ve driven the car home from the garage which is one mile.

Any suggestions ? Cheers in advance!

Jamie
    Free Member

IT’S GONNA BLOW!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8YOtURQgPI[/video]

lizzz
    Free Member

You’ll be fine! I’ve done that before, I know other people who’ve made the same mistake… nobody I know has ever had it be a problem. 🙂

Burls72
    Free Member

Petrol in diesel is a bigger problem than the other way round. But with the small amount you have put in I doubt you’ll notice any difference.

derekrides
    Free Member

Fill it right up with diesel, is what I did when I made the same error filling the bread knifes car.

I’m told they suggest a small amount of petrol in diesel isn’t a bad thing in very cold weather, stops it freezing.

How big is your tank, I guess is a relevant question, re ratio of petrol to diesel, somewhere I read 5% isn’t a problem, but don’t quote me, it was t’internet so probably wrong or wishful thinking..

I’d be inclined to ask someone who knows (but isn’t going to profit by stripping your tank out).

santacruzsi
    Free Member

the amount i put in is 0.6 of the fuel tank capacity (61 litre tank), so i hope i should be ok! Just worried as it’s a newish engine / model of car. (2007)

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Stop worrying. It will be fine.

mmb
    Free Member

I put 2litres in my old diesel and only half filled the tank with more diesel and it was fine. Ran a little rough till it needed filling again but no probs in the end

hels
    Free Member
    sugdenr
    Free Member

I put the equivalent of 5% in mine, just brimmed with derv and weaved the car a bit to mix it up 😕 , if anything I think it ran better.

hora
    Free Member

Personally I’d keep topping it up to dilute the effect

TheBrick
    Free Member

Was reading on just this subject the other day, useful link and exert here.
    http://charming.awardspace.com/otto_diesel/otto_diesel.html

The diesel fuel is better for a diesel motor because it self-ignites more readily, and this is desirable in the diesel cycle. If we try to inject gasoline instead of diesel into the diesel engine, this may not work because gasoline, having much higher self-ignition temperature, may not ignite at all. Of course, if we build the diesel engine to have a really, really high compression ratio then even the 120 octane gasoline will self-ignite and our engine will be able to work with almost anything we put in our tank.

(However, remember that the diesel fuel is better in lubricating things than the gasoline, and diesel-engine manufacturers use this property heavily – so using even low-octane gasoline in your diesel engine may fail because fuel supplying parts will not be lubricated enough. Don’t kill your engine!)

oliverd1981
    Free Member

my dad used to swear by putting a litre or so of petrol in all his vehicles* at the start of winter to stop the diesel going waxy. As we all know, dad knowledge is 1000% times better than wikipedia.

*These were largely buses and coaches with vast tanks though – your mileage may vary.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Did they not used to stick pertol into diesel to make it into winter diesel?

ssboggy

Bloke at work put half a tank of unleaded into a Landrover Defender TD5 then filled the rest with diesel and it ran ok, so i’m sure you’ll be fine

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies, well i’ve done over 150 miles since the incident and the car has not missed a beat (yet!), so fingers crossed i’ve got away with it!

globalti
    Free Member

That’s a small amount. Before anti-waxing additives people used to put a lot more petrol in the diesel to prevent waxing.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Put it on Ebay, quick.

Northwind

Adding petrol to SVO is common for the taxdodgers too.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Any mechanics in the house? Small amount of petrol in my diesel car….’ is closed to new replies.