Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Any (kitchen) extractor hood experts in the house?
  • slowjo
    Free Member

Mrs Slowjo is looking for a compact extractor fan for the kitchen. She isn’t looking for the old style expelair style but one of these expensive extractor hood things.

Anyway, we have circa 105cm between the top of the work surface and the ceiling. Ideally the unit would vent through the back as opposed to up and out. (We have an induction hob btw)

We have found two from besthoods.co.uk which do it but they are as ugly as…… Anyway, what with their £1,200 price tags as well, I have been forlornly requested to keep looking. The kitchen bods tell us there is nothing that does what we want (anywhere).

As the home of all sorts of arcane knowledge…does the hive mind have any suggestions? (Apart from the ‘open the window’ type ones of course) 8)

large418
    Free Member

given that our extractor is just some folded metal sheet with a filter at the bottom and a fan at the top, you could buy a cheap one, scavenge the bits you need and get a folded metal sheet made to your design that would do everything you want in a material you like.

You would need to come up with a design though, but go and have a poke about in a kitchen shop to see how they are made. You would probably have to spend 500-600 to get something quite nice made (more if you want lights and any other fancy bits).

slowjo
    Free Member

You haven’t seen my practical skills!

Mrs Slowjo has and she won’t even let me wield a paintbrush without close supervision.

I could look at the inside of one of these things all day and be none the wiser afterwards.

grantway
    Free Member

Try this £ 949
    Brittania pop up extractor

Here is some further info on these. Down draft extractors

large418
    Free Member

that’s why you draw it, and get someone else to make it.

With a metal folder, guillotine and spot welder a half decent fabricator would make your design in a day or so – £300 plus materials (ish)

tobymc

£1200?!!!!! Cooker hood or lifestyle accessory? Get ye to currys, and thence to the hire shop for a core drill….
    This should mean approx a grand spare for your new ‘crosser or some such.
    One can over think these things, it is a machine to let your neighbours know what you’ll be having for tea after all!

slowjo
    Free Member

@toby mc £1200……apart from anything else that is one reason to be on the veto list. 😯

The problem is finding one that will work and there seem to be precious few that do.

Thanks @ grantway. Will pass that on to the boss.

Daffy

I think the problem is the 105cm between the worktop and the ceiling prevents use of conventional equipment which usually use a bulky centrifugal fan to extract the gas.

The centrifugal motor, fan and duct can be anywhere from 20-35cm in height, thereby taking a substantial amount of space from the 105cm available.

You need a slimline cooker hood like this:

ELBA Slimline

nickjb
    Free Member

Just put this Lagan Ikea one in: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40244671/

It’s just the bit under the cupboard in the pic in the link.

Its designed to fit under a cupboard but you could box it in or push it right up to the ceiling. It can extract out the top or the back. We’ve got it going out the back so it only uses about 200mm of wall. Only £60, can’t imagine spending £1200!

mrjmt
    Free Member

We’ve got a CDA EVG6 as I got fed up of banging my head on the corner of normal extractors.

Something like that might suit?

brassneck

Was just going to mention Ikea, I don’t think even they could f*** up selling you a cooker hood and they had a decent range of styles and extraction methods.

freeagent
    Free Member

There is an element of getting what you pay for wit these things.
    We used to have a Screwfix special, which was <£100.
    It worked fine, but was noisy and very tinny.

We now have a Rangemaster (to match our range cooker) which has a much higher flow rate, and is 6 dBA quieter, however it was £450.

Gary_M
    Free Member

we have this one, Corian cooker hood its corain and we bought it to match our worktops.

For a cooker hood it’s very handsome and it really is a wow factor in a new kitchen.

matt_outandabout

Folded metal for £1200? I know a company that could make it in any shape or colour you so choose… An Orange head badge on an extractor would be fun…. 😉

rickmeister

In the garage is an unused new IKEA cooker hood.
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50244699/

I would be happy to see the back of it…

matt_outandabout

Where are you rickmeister, cos if he doesn’t want it, I may….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Any (kitchen) extractor hood experts in the house?’ is closed to new replies.