Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Any Kindle owners on here?
  • vinnyeh

Does the 3G version provide a worthwhile advantage over the wifi only version?
    I’ve just had one of each type arrive due to forgetting to change my order, and aren’t sure which to return- free lifetime 3g sounds tempting, but not sure whether there’s much use for it outside of downloading books..

AdamW
    Free Member

I’ve got a wi-fi one on its way to me now. I thought the 3G would *only* allow you to get books and not surf?

M6TTF
    Free Member

bloke at work has 3G one – you can surf, although it does look a bit shit

Cletus

I have the 3G one. It is ok for browsing text heavy web-sites but navigation is a bit clunky. The opportunity to browse through Amazon’s Kindle catalogue via 3G should not be underrated – normally you can get an extract of a book to try before you buy which is great for passing idle time waiting for the bus etc.

The 3G service is free so it would be daft not to go for it imo.

vinnyeh

cheers. Keeping the 3G.

samuri
    Free Member

Ooh, I didn’t realise you got free 3G with it, and I presume books are much cheaper to download than to buy in paper form?

Looks like that might be a christmas present for me.

As an aside, the girl who does the kindle advert on TV is very hot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj5Jr0QWNMA&feature=related

simon_g

I got a 3G one, mainly because I’ll be out of the country a lot and global 3G included is nice to have – seems to be some doubt over where web browsing will work but it was fine in France when I tried.

If you use blog/newspaper/magazine subscriptions then it will automatically pick them up, and the syncing of place in the book works much better if the device is always connected – very handy if you sometimes travel light and want to read a couple of chapters on your phone instead.

That said, if I was just commuting back and forth plus holiday use I’d probably just go wifi – easy to load it up with all the books you’d need in advance.

Cougar

Sitting at home next to the WiFi router, is there anything you can do over 3G that you can’t via WiFi?

Ie, is the only benefit of 3G that you can download stuff when you don’t have a WiFi connection?

tomdebruin
    Free Member

Can I read RSS on a Kindle? Preferably by hooking up to my Google Reader account.

uplink
    Free Member

Can I read RSS on a Kindle? Preferably by hooking up to my Google Reader account.

apparently, yes – but I’ve not tried it yet

samuri
    Free Member

Ie, is the only benefit of 3G that you can download stuff when you don’t have a WiFi connection?

yes, that’s my understanding now i’ve done a bit of reading. As above, it seems useful if you travel a lot.

tomdebruin
    Free Member

[RSS] apparently, yes – but I’ve not tried it yet

Would be interested to know more about that. It states there’s a webkit browser (experimental) on there, so you could just visit the google reader page if there’s no dedicated ‘app’.

vinnyeh

There’s an experimental web browser on the thing. Rudimentary, but it works (no touchscreen so navigation is with D-pad, and the screen is of course monochrome). The selling point is that the 3g connection is free pretty much wherever you are in the world.

McHamish
    Free Member

My 3G Kindle was delivered on Tuesday…I originally bought the wifi only one, but um’d and ah’d and upgraded my order. I managed to convince myself that free global 3G couldn’t be argued with.

I thought that with the wifi only version I would just make sure I have my next book lined up, but decided that I’d like the flexibility of being able to get the next book whereever and whenever. In fact I finished a book this morning on the train, and immediately downloaded another one.

My only gripe is the 3G coverage seems to be rubbish compared to O2 on my iPhone, but it still downloads books relatively quickly.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Any Kindle owners on here?’ is closed to new replies.