Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Any kayakers who could offer some info on good loactions?
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’m going to buy me and the other half a sit-on-top kayak each this month. I’m going for a Perception Triumph 13 as I’ve been told it’s a great all rounder and very stable. I’ve also looked into the whole waterways licence thing which allows access to UK inland waters but I’m struggling to find good spots with launch areas so we can basically park up, launch and go paddle for a few hours, return back to our starting point and back home.

I’m based in the Northants/Oxford area but will also be doing some travelling to the Lake District/ Wales etc. Can anyone advise on some nice spots to go?

druidh
    Free Member

Not what you really want to know, but there are no* restrictions on access to water in Scotland.

* other than the obvious things like Faslane 🙂

cbike
    Free Member

Scotland or anywhere that’s salty.
    I looked into english access. pain in the ass.
    The folk at Song of the paddle forum will know better though.

I hire pedalling kayaks if you fancy – http://www.cosybike.co.uk

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Take a look at ukriversguidebook.com

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking that England and Wales is the only country in the world that has restrictions on use of its inland waters?

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Not what you really want to know, but there are no* restrictions on access to water in Scotland

Yep, Scotland will be on the cards during World Cup weekend.

druidh
    Free Member

If you’re really lucky, you might get a day like this….

P1020282 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

wonnyj
    Free Member

Gower beaches – caswell to pwdll du is a very good but very short trip. Lots of peeps on sit on tops as well.
    Wye
    Usk
    Severn estuary

http://www.ukrgb.co.uk is a handy site as well.

anorak

Your local canoe club will be a good source of information, you can find contactdetails on the BCU website. They may even offer poolsessions to get you started.
    Also look for: Pete Knowles, Pub Paddles. (http://www.cordee.co.uk/CTK599.php)

Stay safe and have fun!
    Caroline

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I used to work as an instructor for the Riverside Centre in Oxford. Definitely worth a look.

aracer
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking that England and Wales is the only country in the world that has restrictions on use of its inland waters?

Also Iraq apparently – though it seems they have other things to worry about. Though the most recent legal research has turned things on their head, and suggests we do actually have a right of access here, it only being an incorrect interpretation in the early 19th century with no real legal basis which led to the situation landowners and anglers assume.

Plenty of undisputed access for gentle paddling up and down in the areas the OP mentions anyway.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I’m based in the Northants/Oxford area but will also be doing some travelling to the Lake District/ Wales etc. Can anyone advise on some nice spots to go?

You’re not a million miles away from the Isle of Wight.

isleofwightseakayaking do good hiring, guiding and tuition, based in the south west of the island round about Freshwater Bay. quite a varied and spectacular coastline to explore there.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Though the most recent legal research has turned things on their head, and suggests we do actually have a right of access here, it only being an incorrect interpretation in the early 19th century with no real legal basis which led to the situation landowners and anglers assume.

That’s interesting. How recent are these legal findings?

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Bugger inland waterways…you can get to Dorset in around 90 minutes if you cane it on the motorway. Check out the Jurassic Coast, Durdle Door, Lulworth Cove, Kimmeridge Bay etc etc

http://www.jurassic-kayaking.com/

aracer
    Free Member

Bugger inland waterways…you can get to Dorset in around 90 minutes if you cane it on the motorway. Check out the Jurassic Coast, Durdle Door, Lulworth Cove, Kimmeridge Bay etc etc

Though personally I wouldn’t be recommending all that to somebody new to kayaking buying a SOT! (not without going on a guided trip with somebody who knows what they’re doing)

aracer
    Free Member
    kayak23

Yeah, see ukriversguidebook for endless discussion on the sharp end of our muddled and unfair access laws.
    Near Oxford? Kingfisher canoe club in Abingdon had some very nice folk as members and would be a good place to start. There are some quite nice flat water trips around there I believe.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Any kayakers who could offer some info on good loactions?’ is closed to new replies.