Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • Any good science fiction series I should watch
  • kaesae
    Free Member

Looking to get some DVD’s to watch occasionally when I’m resting.

After having just watched stargate atlantis and finding it a bit boring, are there any good science fiction series about?

Cougar

Firefly
    Farscape

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Stargate Universe is actually very good. Much much better than the other Stargate series’.
    The new Battlestar Galactica mini series and following series is very good as well.
    Firefly is great.

Del

+1 for BSG

Mackem

Battlestar was surprisingly good.
    Caprica was ok.
    The new V was quite good.
    If you havent watched them, the original Stargates are good.

z1ppy

+1 Firefly, followed by the movie Serenity
    Farscape is great fun but can be hard to get into (puppets and makeup can be hard to take – g/f didn’t like it much)
    [new] Battlestar is very good & will make you brain ache trying to follow it
    Stargate Universe is superb to my eye, take a good while to get going and then when it’s really got it feet, they killed it off (can but hope is resurrected in the future). I’ve only just started Atlantis, but it’s only regurgitating the original SG series (and farscape [including some of the cast later on!]) story lines really.

Fringe is also good fun, with some gruesome deaths, if you can live with the lack of acting ability of the main character.

t_i_m
    Free Member

BSG (just make sure you watch the mini series first)
    and Firefly (watch Serenity afterwards)

sneakyg4
    Free Member

BSG, but watch them all in order.

Not Sci-Fi, but if you can get hold of Breaking Bad on DVD its worth it.

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

Have you watched starticus? Fantastic film and highly recommended.

AlasdairMc

Battlestar Galactica was great.
    Babylon 5 if you’ve never seen it before.

xiphon
    Free Member

BSG – frack!!

druidh
    Free Member

Firefly 😥

Battlestar Galactica

juan
    Free Member

BSG
    Stargate Universe
    Carnivale

hels
    Free Member

Battlestar Galactica best TV series ever, AND, it has space ships !

I quite liked Star Trek Voyager, bit darker than the other ones, not big on Deep Space 9, it was a bit muppety (the classic Trouble with Tribbles mash-up aside).

And sorry but you can’t beat the old Star Trek episodes.

“the planet appears to be entirely populated by beautiful female aliens, Jim”

If you have soom room on yoru Love Film account and want to hit some classic Sci-Fi start with Forbidden Planet, which has the added bonus of Leslie Neilsen playing it 100% straight.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The 1981 BBC Day of the Triffids series. The 2009 version was a load of old…

willard

Breaking Bad gets a recommendation here, but it’s hardly SciFi.

You could go retro and try and find “V” to watch, or maybe subject yourself to all of Stargate (SG1, Atlantis, Universe) in order. That should take up some time…

bigrich

+1 BSG

steer clear of that spielberg alien invasion thing. Boring!

try ‘They key to Time’ story arc Dr. Who. Baker, Douglas Adams had quite a hand in it and you well see up the chuff of leela.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Aaahhhhh…. Leela…

chojin
    Free Member

BSG every time. I’m not a SciFi fan at all, but I loved it.

ohnohesback
    Free Member
    kimbers

the whole of star trek in chronological order, including the cartoons, one day ill do it
    and DS9 ftw imho!

firefly- ace but too short
    the new BSG is awesome, so say we all

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

BSG

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Futurama!

I also like Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles, I shouldn’t have liked it, but I did. Can be had for pretty cheap now too.

toby1

ohnohesback – Member

Aaahhhhh…. Leela…

Seriously – look up who her character is voiced by – especially if you watch Sons of Anarchy!

zbonty

Day of the triffids! Remember being a bit spooked by that but was only little.

For something a little leftfield how about ‘Dark Place’. Querky comedy sci fi that hardly anyone has heard of. From channel 4 a few years back.

Cougar

Seriously – look up who her character is voiced by – especially if you watch Sons of Anarchy!

… or Married With Children.

Smudger666

Blakes 7?

toys19
    Free Member

kasae I have farscape on dvd I could swap with you for some bearings.. email in profile (giant nrs)

PJay
    Free Member

I though that Babylon 5 was fantastic. There are some good deals around on the boxed set containing all the series and films.

LittleTones
    Free Member

In addition to all of the obvious good ones previously mentioned. B5, BSG, Firefly etc.

Space: Above and Beyond – single series of 20 Episodes, bit cheesy for the first 15, but the end 5 were exceptional, but by then was cancelled…. It is worth a watch though.

Russell96

+1 Babylon 5

Hohum
    Free Member

Dark Skies.

Unfortunately they only produced one series, but it was very good.

Northwind

Babylon 5 and Deep Space 9 are both pretty erratic but when they’re good, they’re good.

In the absence of sufficient Firefly, take a look at Dollhouse. Though it does take a while to get going.

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey toys19 I’ve seen farscape and really want too see some new stuff, that said send me a pm and I’m sure we can sort something out for bearings are you fitting them yourself?, also seen baylon 5, that was an amazing series.

Think I’ll watch stargate universe and firefly maybe space above and beyond, thanks for the heads up everyone!

Cougar

Dark Skies.

Unfortunately they only produced one series, but it was very good.

Good call.

It was cancelled halfway through the second series, IIRC, so it just ends without resolution unfortunately. But it’s a great, great series. If you liked Dark Skies, look up Now and Again – it’s another show with the bloke who played John Lowengard in it. Really good.

kaesae
    Free Member

Yeah dark skies was cool, never saw the end of it, but if it doesn’t end, then that’s a bit shit.

Is babylon 5 crusade any good?

footflaps

I was really annoyed the stopped Stargate Universe and Terminator: The Sarah Conner Cronicles – thought they were both really good. Not seen anything to touch BSG though – in a bit of a league of its own.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Red Dwarf

muddy@rseguy

Spaced.

Cos as everyone knows ”Babylon 5’s a great pile of sh…” 😀

And they did a cracking good gunfight scene too…

LittleTones
    Free Member

Is babylon 5 crusade any good?

If you liked Babylon 5 then yes, but it’s not worth watching in Isolation on it’s own. Because it was cancelled it is an incomplete storyline.

[Geek Mode] There’s also seven Babylon 5 ‘films’ which fit into the B5 universe which you may not be aware of:- ‘In the Beginning’, ‘The Gathering’, ‘River of Souls’, ‘Thirdspace’, ‘The Legend of the Rangers’, ‘A Call to Arms’ and ‘The Lost Tales’.

Of all of these if you want to watch Crusade, you should watch ‘A Call to Arms’ first and ‘In the Beginning’ gives the John Sheridan and Minbari war back story. The rest are not so essential. [Geek Mode]

Hope that’s useful.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Any good science fiction series I should watch’ is closed to new replies.