Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any Garmin Basecamp experts on here?
  • luffy105
    Free Member

Pulling my hair out here… trying to plot a multi day trip in basecamp and create day by day navigation files for the Garmin.

is there any way at all you can continue drawing/editing a track you have previously created? I don’t want to do the damn thing in one sitting and if I accidentally click out of it I don’t seem to be able to get back into it to just continue plotting the route.

Am I just being stupid?

thanks

m

CraigW
    Free Member

For a track, click on the “Insert” button on the toolbar. Then if you click on the point at the end of the track, it should let you continue drawing.
    Or you could draw a new track, then join them together afterwards.

Bez

I have one question:

Why are you using Basecamp?

Have you tried using something better like RideWithGPS? As far as I can tell there is no good reason to use Basecamp for anything. (I only use it for quick tests of custom map styles.)

alric
    Free Member

IIRC its fairly simple to join tracks, so you can make it section by section.
    Or you can make a new item in the library, then copy/paste the track into that, and work on it, etc
    Unfortunately I cant setup basecamp until i get a decent internet connection so cant be specific

ianfitz
    Free Member

I use bikehike co uk for this. Much prefer it to garmin stuff

luffy105
    Free Member

thanks for the advice all! Useful as ever this site. I will give it a try…

as for why Garmin? to be honest I wasn’t aware of anything else.

The problem is we are doing the Alpe- Adria trail next week but doing it on road bikes and there are some parts of the trail that aren’t suitable where we will have to jump on the road so I am trying to build on the existing ape adria gpx and alter the route to encompass the changes.

Maybe, I’m just being thick but Basecamp seems really clunky to use

thanks

m

Bez

Maybe, I’m just being thick but Basecamp seems really clunky to use

Nope, you’re not being thick. Clunky is being kind to it, it’s a dog.

luffy105
    Free Member

the joining tracks advice is the winner!!

Thanks a lot all and I will take a look at the other programs you all advised too. To be honest basecamp does seem overly complicated.

Cheers!

scotroutes

Basecamp is great – because it does everything you want it to. I guess it’s just too steep a learning curve for some folk.

Bez

Nice passive-aggressive angle there, but yes, it sure is too steep a learning curve. There’s no shame in finding it less painful to do the same things with other people’s software. (I should add that I try to come at this objectively, I’m a software user experience designer.)

hot_fiat

Basecamp is notorious for being utterly unfathomable. Hence why in the motorcycling world things like TYRE and ITNConverter appeared.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any Garmin Basecamp experts on here?’ is closed to new replies.