Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • any forestry commission employees here? advice needed please
  • johnduke
    Free Member

Hi, I'm thinking there's got to be a couple of forestry commission employees lurking around here…

I've been unemployed for about 3 months and really like the idea of working for the FC, have applied for a couple of office jobs with them but got nowhere. Now a Trainee forest craftsperson position has come up in Hamsterley forest which I'm dead keen on. As its a trainee position there's no real requirements but, with a Fine Art Degree and 4 years working in a bookshop under my belt I don't really have much to recommend me for the position! Can anyone, FC employee or otherwise, offer advice on what approach to take with my application? Any areas I can be reading up on etc?

TonyL
    Free Member

Never worked for FC but spent most of my life as a ranger/countryside worker. Have a look at Naturenet for general advice on this line of work. Get some voluntary experience, BTCV, wildlife trust etc expect to be poor but happy!

Si
    Free Member

What is said above…

A bit of voluntary work shows that you know what the realities of work in this sector is all about, it is hard and physical. Will act as a great reference too…

Second, there is quite a dark art to putting a decent application together, so give yourself time and make sure you can justify all the person spec. As a trainee they will want you to be willing, keen and wanting to learn so try and get this across.

If you are unsuccessful and honnestly want to get into this work then what about looking at a Full Time Vol position with the National Trust. A lot will offer accom and some form of training budget. Although you will have to be able to financially support yourself one way or the other.

Oh and the hours are all over the place and the pay is poor but there is no better work on this earth.

johnduke
    Free Member

thanks guys, poor is fine, happy is essential!
    Sounds like good advice, would definitely like to do some voluntary work, the NT thing sounds interesting.

timber

I started off volunteering with the NT and am now the assistant woodland warden for our property/area. Lot of properties have accommodation for full-time volunteers, we do take on for forestry, but generally take on people who already have a saw licence and want to get experience with it. There is something on the website about volunteering opportunities somewhere.

Who knows what the tick boxes are for the FC, but they do have some guys from diverse backrounds working for them.

And woodland work is a lot of fun, felling big trees, clearfelling and machines, I love it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘any forestry commission employees here? advice needed please’ is closed to new replies.