Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any electricians in the house? Advice needed.
  • Entonox
    Free Member

I’m wondering if it is possible to fit some sort of timer to a 3.4kw storage heater.

The heater is connected to a 20A DP switch. Can a timer (with the correct amperage etc) be fitted?
    e.g. something like this
    Cheers

Sonor
    Free Member

Yes.

geoffj

Use an immersion heater timer.

Entonox
    Free Member

Thanks.

turin
    Free Member

something to keep in mind is that the supply to your storage heater is unlikely to be permanent and controlled by your electricity supplier so the timer that you are proposing to use will only be powered during set periods so will not keep up with real time

Neil-F
    Free Member

Yup, storage heaters are usually supplied to run at off-peak times, when energy is a bit cheaper.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

There are however electronic timers which do not need supply all the time, as they have an internal clock battery which charges.

turin
    Free Member

op – what is it that you are trying to achieve by fitting the timer

Entonox
    Free Member

Yeah I’m on e7. Just want to know if timers can be fitted if I switch to a standard rate meter.

turin
    Free Member

if you want to remove the econ7 tariff and run everything off a permanent supply and use that to power your heaters via individual timers that would be doable

whether thats the best cost effective solution i dont know but i wouldnt think it would be – there is a premium for having the econ7 which you woukdnt pay if you get it removed – it probably depends on how many heaters you have and use

Entonox
    Free Member

After a bit a searching it seems a 16A immersion heater timer would fit the bill. Is there any reason why it has to be specifically an immersion heater timer? Or will any 16A timer suffice?

What am I trying to achieve? A warm house.
    E7 storage heating is **** shite. I can bore you with details if you want. 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any electricians in the house? Advice needed.’ is closed to new replies.