• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Earl.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Any Diamondback Mojito 29er owners out there?
  • collie
    Free Member

I'm looking to jump on the 29er band wagon and am weighing up a few options. One of the options is to buy cheap in the form of a Mojito. I have seen the Mojitos offer just about the cheapest way into 29ering and wanted some first hand advice as to whether they are a good starting point which are suiable for upgrading of a worthless pile of steaming junk. I have some hydraulic discs and an old XT drive train waiting to be bolted to project 29er, so are the frame, forks and wheels on the Mojito a good starting point or not?

collie
    Free Member

bump

the00
    Free Member

Looks like a bit of a 'deal' at just over £200. You can sometimes find that you'd like to change stuff like bars, stem and saddle though – then things would get more expensive.
    Anybody tried one or seen a review?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    s8tannorm
    Free Member

Hiya, I had one which I then sold to a friend. It was too big for me and I couldn't get on with the whole 29er thing (but I am a short arse at 5'7").

He loves it, at present it's in SS guise but has been run as a 1×9. Brakes, bar, stem and saddle got changed from new. The frame looks like it's from a far more expensive bike, nothing has failed and it rides very well, so long as 29ers suit you.

You won't go wrong for the cash … even twice the cash.

Stuart

collie
    Free Member

That sounds encouraging, looks like a Mojito might be the right bike to try to 29er thing with.

collie
    Free Member

Right, I took the plunge and bought one from Go Outdoors in Wolverhampton for £199, never thought I'd buy a £200 bike again!
    I was ready to be underwhelmed but actually I have been amazed. It rides really well – very comfy but still exciting with good acceleration, the transmission works as it should (no chain slipping)and it looks pretty good as well. I've taken off the cable pull discs and replaced them with some Hayes Strokers I had laying around so now it will stop me on the downhills.
    I've done plenty of miles on it over the weekend and its left me thinking if my 5'' susser is really worth 10 times more???!!!

wombat

I've been considering getting one of these but, like you, wasn't sure if I'd end up saddled (no pun intended) with a complete clunker. Glad you're getting on well with it. I might go and have another look at the weekend now.

bigsi
    Free Member

I've done plenty of miles on it over the weekend and its left me thinking if my 5'' susser is really worth 10 times more???!!!

I've just had the same debate and decided that its not but then thats because i need the cash. If you can afford to keep the full susser then do so for a while but i would suggest trying a 29er full susser as they offer the best of both worlds 😉

collie
    Free Member

wombat – like I said I have been very suprised by how sorted it feels. It's got to be worth considering.
    Bigsi – Yeah, a 29er full susser is something I would like to try, but for now the mojito will do for a winter/child carrying/dog exercising/quick blast bike – great value!

CHB

Just seen one of these for sale at £180 new. Tempted!

mieszko
    Free Member

It looks really good. Definitely not like a £180-200 bike. If I'll ever want to try rigid SS than the DB would be a very tempting option.

collie
    Free Member

Still delighted with mine and loving the 29er thing, so much so that I've just taken delivery of an Inbred 29er frame to build a 'for best' big wheeler.
    The DB's been great in all the mud recently, had it as a 1×9 through the dryish autumn which worked well.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

CHB – YGM

mollyiom
    Free Member

I got one cheap early this year to try the 29er thing and totally converted me, enough to build a good spec on one 29er SS.

Trail-Blazer
    Free Member

Guys, do you think there's enough clearance at the chain/seatstays to take a 2.55 tyre?

collie
    Free Member

I don't think so. The Nevegals it comes with are pretty close to the stays.

charliechalk
    Free Member

I agree with Collie, definately not enough space on mine anyway, out of the box I had to redish the wheel slightly since the tyre was rubbing on the stay on the non drive side. Still absolutely loving the 29er it just rolls over everything, the gear ratio it comes with isn't too bad either although maybe a bit stiff for the really steep stuff.

Earl
    Free Member

32:19 on mine with half link and no tensioner

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Any Diamondback Mojito 29er owners out there?’ is closed to new replies.