• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by GJP.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Any depressed Asthmatics in the house today?
  • GJP
    Free Member

Yep .. I am bored to!

Experiencing my third Asthma exacerbation this year and have been given a short course of oral steroids to clear it up PDQ.

However, I also suffer from depression although have been feeling pretty good recently but since starting the steroids I can barely get out of bed and just feel anxious and irritable.

I am pretty sure that the steroids are destabilizing my mood – on the two previous occasions I have taken steroids then within a week or two I have had full on breakdowns and subsequently been off work for a couple of months each time loaded on ADs and Benzos etc

Can any others shed any light or share their experiences?

Thanks
    Gary

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Steroids make me very angry,almost psychotic and wake up in the middle of the night with real terrors
    Horrible things and unfortunately I have to take large doses (12 x 5mg Predisolene a day) to break up periods of Cluster Headache

Only take them for five days at a time and would hate to be on them full time

You have my sympathies, but just remember its only the meds making you worse than usual and you will feel better
    Some poor sods are depressed all the time which must be awful

surfer
    Free Member

GJP

I can share my experience of Asthma. It plagued me as a child and teenager and restricted my ability to do any sport at all. Later on in my late teens I was carrying a little weight and started doing some running. I caught the running bug and spent the next 25 years running with a small degree of success.
    Importantly the exercise helped to control the asthma as I was still having intermittent episodes which would each last for around 3 to 5 days. My Asthma has gradually subsided and I can go for several weeks without any real symptoms. The doctors who I have discussed this with put the improvement down to the fact (although without certainty) that my running (often up to 60 – 70 mpw) has improved my lung function significantly and reduced the likelihood of attacks and probably reduced the impact of them when they occur.
    I still take medication daily and could exercise without taking it beforehand however other than that I am able to lead a normal life.
    I wish you well and if you are on this site then you already know the benefits of exercise on Asthma.
    Remember Steve Ovett and Paula Radcliffe suffer from it!

GJP
    Free Member

Thanks guys – normally my Asthma is not a problem. I use a steroid inhaler in the morning but bar that I am symptom free for years on end – never even flares up with colds and chest infections etc.

However, this has been a bad year and I have lost perhaps 5 months riding as a result. Although perhaps more of this has been down to Depression than Asthma.

The odd thing is that it real terms my Asthma is not really that bad . My GP says I am fortunate in that I am sensitive to small changes in my peak flow so can feel these that others would not.

Only a couple more days on the Steroids so hopefully I can retain the last remnants of my sanity until then.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Any depressed Asthmatics in the house today?’ is closed to new replies.