Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Any daypack recommendations?
  • Mackem

What's recommended for long days on the bike? Looking at carrying 3l of water, some food, some tools, pump, inner-tube, windproof, camera, and maybe a fleece.

Cheers.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I've recently bought an Osprey Talon 22 after years of using Camelbaks in different sizes. The Osprey is superb. Can carry way more than even my old HAWG but far far more securely and comfortably The back system is very good and actually keeps the bag in the right place and even stuffed to the gills with camera kit is still comfortable.

kiwijohn

Macpac Kahu 18? If you can get them over there. Works for me .

gusamc
    Free Member
    aP
    Free Member

OMM

RustySpanner

Still using the Alpkit Gourdon 20.

£17.50. Will never buy an expensive pack again, whilst these are available.
    It's lasted longer than my last two pricey Lowe Alpine Flywheel bags as well.

alpin
    Free Member

i've had quite a few various bags in the last few months, never quite beinghappy with the previous one.

had a couple of Vaude bags which, whilst good, weren't 'right'. one sat nicely on your back until you got on the bike where it'd flop about. the other was a bit too big (24 or 28 ltr) didn't provide any decent compression system meaning that unless it was stuffed full the contents would jump about on the rough stuff.

i then bought an Ortlieb fully-water proof thing (rrp 160€!) for 70€. a well made bag, a comfy fit, but no compression system. when it was stuffed full the bag-body pushed against the mesh netting and onto your bag.

i've now got a Camelbak HAWG NV and i can say i think i've found a decent one.
    it already comes with 3ltr bladder. the bladder has a separate housing meaning you don't need to empty the bag in order to fill the bladder. it has a clever helmet/compression system. a large (10ltr?) main compartment and a smaller frontal section for bits. oh, and a small pocket for mp3/phone plus two side pockets for other odd n'sods.

i'm a fan of packs with mesh backs as i always end up with a sweaty back. the Hawg doesn't have this as such but five/six foam padded things preventing the pack from resting directly on your back.

i carried 4-5kg yesterday on a 67km ride and was suprised when i got home that i hadn't really noticed the weight at all as the fit of the pack is so good.

peteimpreza

Deuter Aplpine.

ajantom

Got a good deal recently on a North Face Megamouth, very comfy for long rides, and ticks all your boxes.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i've got a new HAWG and i can safely say that thing weighs a ton! something like a kilo? it's all belts and buckles and plastic back plates… it's not awful, but i'd not recommend it unless it was a super bargain.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I'm with Rusty Spanner here … Not a fan of backpacks but the AlpKit Gourdon is great … see below.

http://welshridething.blogspot.com/

Stuart

z1ppy

Just seen a new vaude 25ltr pack, loads of separate compartments, looks ace.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

+1 for the Osprey Talon 22. Brilliantly designed, very comfortable and excellent 2 way compression system for when not completely full. Wouldn't want anything smaller for a big all day ride with 2 tubes, pump, tools, food, fleece, camera and first aid kit

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I use a Dakine Apex and would gladly recommend. Large main storage space (waterproof, DLSR and food); a google/valuables pouch; plus an good size secondary section with slot for pump, one open and and two zipped pouches for tools/gear/tube. It also has holder + strapping for standard or full-face helmet and straps for armour. The Hydrapak bag is reversable for easy cleaning/drying. It also has detachable waist straps. Pretty much everything I've ever wanted in a pack.

Mackem

Oh bugger, was hoping for a clear definite recommendation. Decisions, decisions.

hicksville
    Free Member

depending on price but i would recommend

wingnut packs, light simple and carries weight really low, loved by all that have them with good reason, i loved mine the only downer was when stuffed to the gills i thought it cut in a bit on my bad shoulder. This was propably more me than the pack.

Ergon BD with flexi link very heavy off not the best size wise but when on will carry 3l water, and all day gubbins with no problems, get the waist strap settled and then all the weight is centred on the hips plus you can move your shoulders and the link in the centre of the pack moves with you heartily recommended.

Osprey Talon I have the 33 ltrs and would say without doubt possibly the best pack i have ever used once you get it to fit, did the 3 peaks walk with it with all my gear and others and it was great. Got a 22 for biking but not used it yet.

Alpkit owned and used for day walks never thought to use on the bike could be a good cheap option.

For me I avoid
    camelback range of packs, all sit to high and carry the weight poorly not distibuted correctly.

good luck

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Any daypack recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.