Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Any Cannondale Bad Boy owners?
  • quintet100
    Free Member

Hi
    As above.
    Fancy buying one for commutes and fire roads.
    Any rider reviews.
    I was thinking of the fork with 50mm suspension.
    Thanks

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I had the 3 speed one with a rigid lefty fork.
    Frame was very harsh. Hub gears are a pain in the ass.
    Looked cool though.

iainc

I had one about 4 yrs ago. Fully rigid, SLX level kit. It looked great but was harsh and very low BB was a hindrance off road. It would make a good tough commuter though

quintet100
    Free Member

Could fit higher volume tyres?

iainc

it had loads of tyre clearance – I think I had 2.1’s on it

quintet100
    Free Member

Nice……

iainc

^^^ It looked a lot nicer than it rode !

I have found similar trails more comfy on my Croix De Fer than I did on the BadBoy. I felt it was the ultimate ‘form over function, café racer esq’ type bike 😯

quintet100
    Free Member

The suspension front fork would help though.

andyfb78
    Free Member

I have one for commuting duties, bought on CTW 7 years ago.
    Ultra-8 which means head shock and alfine 8.

It has been great for that, run 700c in the summer and second set of wheels to run 26 ice tyres in the winter.

headshock lost pressure after 1 month, fixed under warranty, no issues since…
    hub has been serviced once, needs indexing tweakign occasionally.
    juicy 3 brakes were rubbish and kept seizing – not up to commuting.

bike is heavier than it looks and should be, EBB is easy to use.

no front mudguard mount in headshock fork so mudguard mounts need to be ‘created’ if you want them.

it had a headsight front light, that died 3 times, USE fixed, but charged me £50 a go. Have now given up on it.

off road it is fine, but on the heavy side, and forks are only 80mm. have often used it as a spare MTB when a mate comes to stay.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have a Badboy 8 Ultra that has the headshock fork, 700c wheels, an alfine 8 rear hub and avid disks.
    I use it for commuting and its perfect. I have full guards on it that keep me bone dry from road spray. The alfine has done a few thousand miles without any maintenance and the only parts I have changed out of preference are the grips and pedals. Its had one new chain but I have another to put on soon and I’m thinking of greasing the headshock at the same time.
    Its not the lightest bike but it rides really well. I don’t find it harsh at all but I’m used to a cove stiffee and Santacruz chameleon.
    Even the avid brakes have been faultless. I think they are juicy 3’s and they are still on the original pads.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Mine is a pig!

It’s the 26″, giant tyre, rigid, v-brake version. I almost went for the lefty 3-speed one (it is mega cool), but 3 speed would be useless in Sheffield.

I think it came with 2.2 fully slick tyres that where made just for that bike… Running some narrower touring tyres now, and it’s a bit faster.

I’ve got full guards and a rack on the back, so it’s ideal for commuting and the odd 30/40 mile road ride. I wouldn’t tour on it though, way too harsh.

It’s a very slow and harsh ride, though I’ve just improved mine a bit-

My chainset and pedals had rusted solid over the last two winters, so I replaced it with a cheap suntour chainset (£25) with MTB ratios instead of trekking ratios (I think 4 teeth down on every ring). I also dumped the long stem and narrow bar and fitted a crank brothers stem and flat bar I had laying around. It’s much nicer to ride now, but not that good.

A few years ago I found some old, quite light xc 26″ wheel in a skip (it was our skip, but someone else was using it, as you do). I replaced the bearings and put them on the badboy. Much lighter than the stock deep section things it came with.

Only reason I’m keeping it is because it’s cheap to keep running, and good training up the 150m hill I have to climb every night to get home.

I know they look cool, but I would advise looking elsewhere first…
    A fork won’t help the harsh ride, the rigid, long frame and massive diameter seat post are the killers.

chief1409
    Free Member

Badboy 700 from 2009 here and use it for commuting duties on road, cycle paths only. Heavier than it looks (for me thats perfect as means i get some serious training in benefiting my mtb riding) but otherwise mine has been bombproof.
    I’d imagine it’d be very harsh offroad so would consider something else, but if all on road and no suspension required then its great.

just5minutes
    Free Member

I’ve been wavering on whether to sell my 2008 BadBoy Ultra if anyone is interested – it’s an upgraded model with full XTR, Mavic Crossmax 29 wheels and carbon bars / seatpost.

quintet100
    Free Member

Hi I would be interested just5minutes
    Email in profile

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Any Cannondale Bad Boy owners?’ is closed to new replies.