Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any Aviemore locals?
  • BigR

Off to Newtonmore at the weekend and was planning on taking the bike. However it is snowing outside and I was wondering what it was like there. I was planning on doing something like the Burma Road as Laggan is shut. The other half was there last weekend and thinks it would be Ok but I think you might have had more snow. Any update would be great.

cbike
    Free Member

Traffic scotland Handy for checking the weather live.

scotroutes

Snowing on and off at the moment with a covering at street level. I was round Loch an Eilean earlier today and caught caught in a “blizzard” but stopped long enough to snap this

There’s still a lot of snow higher up. I’d actually thought about the Burma Road today but decided to give it a miss as what’s there will now be wet slush over hard-packed ice.

BigR

Cheers, looks like it might be OK lower down. Could always footer about in Inshirach Forest and visit the cake shop. Any other suggestions for 3-4 hours?

scotroutes

The cake shop doesn’t open until 1st March (Sunday).

Spin round from Rothiemurchus, Glenmore, Ryvoan, Forest Lodge, Nethy Bridge and back along the Speyside Way then over the Sluggan to Glenmore again? Cobbs Cafe will be open for refreshments. Then do an out and back to Loch Einich though the water levels are currently high so you’d have wet feet on your return.

You can download a GPX of that here (Right click/Save as)

You could always hire a Genesis Caribou from Bothy Bikes (£20/day) and head up to the slopes 🙂

iainc

scotroutes – I am up there for a week at Easter and have done variety of the usual stuff, Burma Road, Loch an Eilean, Loch Gamhna, Rothiemurchus etc. I haven’t been up the section from Ryvoan, Forest Lodge and Abernethy etc – what is it like ? same as stuff round Rothie ? might give it a go….

bullroar
    Free Member

What is the problem at Laggan, is it a complete no go or only some parts of it?

swavis

Lots of trees blown down, the boardwalk is completely wrecked, not a bad thing some might say, but it’s going to take a while to fix.

FOG

Went to Laggan last Saturday and there was no sign of life. Notices said fallen trees blocked most tracks but it seemed branches had been dragged across access routes to discourage people. We went up to Rothiemurchus instead where we had a good ride up to the lodge. The track from there to the Lairig Ghru was mostly a push but the final descent was excellent.

BigR

Thanks for the route. Fingers crossed, just passing Dunkeld and it doesn’t look too bad (yet). 🙂

br
    Free Member

When we were there in the late summer we had a morning at ‘Burnside’ – good fun.

scotroutes

Pretty much. There’s some lovely open countryside between Ryvoan and Abernethy Forest with great views of the Gorms behind you (remember to stop and look round), a fast bumpy doubletrack in to Forest Lodge and lots of little singletrack to be explored behind Nethy Bridge if you’ve a mind. The route I linked to above then takes you out to Loch Einich – also worth doing .

There’s lots of stuff in the Feshie/inshriach forests but current extraction is making it all a bit hit and miss.

High Burnside is also worth exploring (that’s on the other side of the A9) but you might want to walk some of the descents before committing to them…..

iainc

Thanks for the info, cheers.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any Aviemore locals?’ is closed to new replies.