Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Any Audi mechanics out there
  • darrimc30
    Free Member

Hi,
    After some advice please, the engine emissions light came on my 07 plate audi a4 avant last Friday, I was coming back from a week working away and was giving it some poke 110 plus.
    Engine emission light came on when I got home, not sure if it was due to horsing it or that I had put a half bottle of redex in over the lat two tank fulls of diesel.
    Any help appreciated before I take it to a independent garage this week

pushbikerider
    Free Member

It might just go out again after a few days ‘normal’ driving – mine (03 A6 2.5TDI) did this after doing a full bore thrash up a big hill. It had a cough and a fart working some bio diesel sludge out of it’s system which brought the emissions light on…

johnellison
    Free Member

Try taking it out and caning it. If that doesn’t work, if you feel competent to do it try removing the EGR plenum chamber and cleaning all the gack out of it. It works wonders.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

and was giving it some poke 110 plus.

Was that BHP or KPH or
    MPH ?

Unless you’re in Germany bit reckless to be driving that fast isn’t it!

And posting it on a public forum top marks for that as well…

If this was in the UK 60mph over the limit…gonna loose your licence

Ps I hope you get your car sorted out…or not it may be a safer place without drivers like you…

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Unless you’re in Germany bit reckless to be driving that fast isn’t it!”

good effort but it doesnt change recklessness depending on geographical location – just peoples tollerances change 😉

organic355
    Free Member

Could be anything, last time our emissions light came on it was a new DPF and exhaust recirc valve costing £1500+

my A4 avant 2.0TDI quattro is in the audi garage today after this:

Car wouldnt start friday PM, appeared flat battery, central locking not working etc.
    Jump started OK & drove home
    Switched engine off, & restarted Ok after a few minutes
    Left for half and hour with engine off, keys out of ingnition, car locked and fan started at high speed after half an hour.
    Started car and fan switched off.
    checked every half and hour for a few hours and no fan noise
    Checked in morning and car started OK.
    Check battery level and was low (with meter), but engine started
    Came back a few hours later to take out for quick run (15 mins) to charge barttery, engine management light came on when started.
    car drove fine until last corner, then labored a bit, battery light came on and car died – no power, no nothing.
    Tried to jump start and nothing.
    Called tow company, he manage to start temporarily by pumping accelerator, but engine died after a few seconds.
    Diagnostics computer plugged in and it indicated glow plugs fault, which engineer said did not correspond to the problem. Seemed like engine wast getting fuel.
    tow company engineer could not do anything so towed to audi.
    NB battery is only a few months old, and recently spent £1500+ on DPF and exhaust gas recirc valve

Awaiting for the call from Audi…..

I am going to enquire as to trade in value as I have lost all confidence in this car now.

zeesaffa
    Free Member

It’s probably worth asking the question over on audisport.net as well.
    Good bunch of people on there… just like STW 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’m very suspicious of these, had a problem with one on a Toyota which was solved by changing the car battery (basically low voltage issues where triggering false reading). We have a 2007 2.7tdi a6 110,000 on clock and no emissions lights so you could be unlucky. Running the diesel hard does chuck out serious amounts of gunk, as above a good clean (ie by hand) out might help, I’d be surprised if ruining it hard again will help much.

@unfitgeezer I think all German motorways have speed limits now, too many big crashes on the unrestricted sections.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@organic – its possible the new battery is a dud/fitting issue. If you like in Suith East try Merc Medic outside Woking, they are excellent. As above we had a Toyota which gave lots of false readings from sensor when battery was on its way out.

What I would say is we’ve had EXTREAMLY poor service from main Audi dealer, lots and lots of claims for unecessary work verified by Merc Medic who fixed so called problems for little cost, best was £60 fix for £2000 work quoted by main dealer.

jam-bo

brake lights ok?

my dash lit up light a xmas tree when a bulb failed last month.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Autobahn cross-section

Speed regulation

130 km/h advisory

There is no national speed limit, either, for cars and motorcycles on any highway outside of towns if it has a central reservation or a minimum of two marked lanes per direction.

Even so 110 mph is way to fast on any road…

njee20
    Free Member

110mph isn’t 60mph over the limit though. Good thing your self righteousness is better than your maths.

jam-bo

no it isnt.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

ooops 20mph out oh well still be very dead when you hit another car or barrier even at 40MPH over the speed limit…

jam bo – Member

no it isnt.

is…

jam-bo

speed isn’t dangerous. inappropriate speed is.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

that maybe true but travelling at 110mph in the UK is just a

inappropriate

njee20
    Free Member

He could have been on a track? Is it dangerous then?

Are you confusing dangerous with illegal?

A track with a load of other cars is more dangerous than an empty motorway at 1am.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Meh, 110mph? Lightweight. 😆 😉

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

He could have been on a track? Is it dangerous then?

do what you like on a track !

Are you confusing dangerous with illegal?

Sorry officer its okay it wasnt dangerous…

A track with a load of other cars is more dangerous than an empty motorway at 1am.

thats the choice of the drivers on the track not the choice of normal road users…

iolo
    Free Member

We all agree he was a very naughty boy.
    A car does need a good ragging when a light comes on. Sometimes it works.
    Lets try and help instead of being so self righteous eh?
    Which one of you guys can categorically say you’ve stuck to the limit since you started driving?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

We all agree he was a very naughty boy.

yes very naughty…

Lets try and help instead of being so self righteous eh?

not being self righteous just pointing out its irresponsible to travel at 110 mph

Which one of you guys can categorically say you’ve stuck to the limit since you started driving?

er yes ! with the odd exception of traveling up to 80 mph…been driving 22 yrs. !

njee20
    Free Member

er yes ! with the odd exception of traveling up to 80 mph…been driving 22 yrs. !

Good for you, you’re in a very small minority.

just pointing out its irresponsible to travel at 110 mph

To travel at 110mph? What about trains and planes? You didn’t really address Terry’s point that what makes it any less reckless in Germany?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Terry’s point that what makes it any less reckless in Germany?

nothing its still reckless but you wont get points or loose your license and a fine +

What about trains and planes?

what’s that got to do with cars…

Anyways I hope you get the car sorted out… remember the speed limit is 70mph !

Im bailing….

iolo
    Free Member

Don’t go

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I have to…sorry 🙁

Ill never forget you…

njee20
    Free Member

what’s that got to do with cars…

You said it was reckless to travel at that speed, you didn’t specify driving. Was feeling more pedantic than usual.

Bye

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ah ok youll still die the same but its ok you wont have points or lose your license.

darrimc30
    Free Member

Gents,
    Not going to defend my speed although it was on an open road with no other traffic about, the speed statement was to see if it would help with the diagnostics I.e very hot engine and use of a dose of redex
    Looks like it stirred the usual bickering which we all enjoy on this forum with my driving now in the same class as the A8 driver in another post.
    Cheers for the comments with some technical advice.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Any Audi mechanics out there’ is closed to new replies.