Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Any advice on prep and painting of an aluminium frame?
  • peteredm
    Free Member

Need to repaint an old alloy frame (01 ruckus 6061?).

Anyone got any advice to follow, planning to respray in old Austin engine block/head green. have used this paint before, was really tough and easy to get a good finish.

Thinking,

get old paint off with stripper
    very lightly sand with fine paper
    spray, building up a few fine coats..

Any thoughts very much appreciated.

peteredm
    Free Member

A quick google seems to suggest don’t sand but to use an etch primer..

Any advice?

mmb
    Free Member

make sure you wash that stripper off thoroughly as it’ll eat your frame if you don’t and don’t let it get inside the tubes! personally i’d go the slow way and and use wet & dry to strip the frame.

peteredm
    Free Member

Definitely won’t get stripper in the tubes if it eats the the ally!

pinches
    Free Member

use nitromors to strip it, then make sure its super clean with panel wipe or other degreaser which evaporates (thinners etc)

You still need to key the surface, but i would use a scotchbrite pad which just takes the shine off the surface.

then etch prime and then wet sand then paint.

kolorworx
    Free Member

hiya i’m a custom painter by trade and do loads of bike stuff you would be better off ask a few powder coaters to dip and strip the frame should only cost about a tenner, wear latex gloves when handling the bare frame as the acid in your skin will mark the metal, use a good panelwipe on a clean cloth and remove with another clean cloth, then use a red or grey scotchbrite as pinches say’s then an etch primer surfacer and then your colour and lac.

Good luck.
    http://www.kolorworx.eu

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Any advice on prep and painting of an aluminium frame?’ is closed to new replies.