Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Antiquesroadshowtrackworld – Christmas challenge
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

There is seldom a thread on here that the collective can’t find an answer to.

Can anyone suggest a maker and date for this little figure.

She came from an old Scottish house, our hope is that she is perhaps from one of the Scottish potteries, possibly Portobello or Prestonpans.

cloudnine
    Free Member

It’s a Victorian Staffordshire figure.. stab a guess at about 1875.
    What do I win?

neninja
    Free Member

I’ll ask my Mum when I see her. She collects these 18C figures – most are not hugely valuable and can be bought fairly cheaply at auction. They are also devilishly hard to identify the maker as most are unmarked.

My totally non-expert guess would be that it more likely to be Staffordshire simply due to the quantities made there. I would imagine a Scottish pottery figure would be more likely to be dressed in Scottish national style but I know nothing.

Probably try a Scottish auction house specializing in pottery.

crikey
    Free Member

It looks like a drunken binners, in drag, after eating a jam donut, represented in clay by hora the potter.

richpips
    Free Member

I think from the headwear it may be the Princess Royal which would date it C1850.

My guess Staffordshire, the Scottish stuff I’ve seen tends to be a bit more refined.

project
    Free Member

Made by STANLEY, Sheffield England, Have no idea about the old pot.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Crikey wins!

sparkyrhino

ooooooooooo she’s a dirty girl

mcmoonter
    Free Member

She scrubs up well.

If only Arthur Negus could have been as inventive as Crikey.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

crikey – Member
    It looks like a drunken binners, in drag, after eating a jam donut, represented in clay by hora the potter.

#strangest

jag61

very recent as she seems to be sporting a full set of hoop sizes

unovolo
    Free Member

Looks like David Walliams after she/He’s been stabbed in the chest with a curried sausage.

DezB
    Free Member

That is a very rare and valuable piece you have there.

DezB
    Free Member

ps. I know nothing about antiques

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I posted these pictures over on Facebook too. A friend in the States thinks her hair, hat and costume look 17th century but he has seen similar ones from the early 19th century. The jury is still out.

I’ve forwarded pics to a friend who works in an Edinburgh auction house too. I’ll let you know if it’s anything interesting or otherwise.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Antiquesroadshowtrackworld – Christmas challenge’ is closed to new replies.