Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • another which bike to buy please
  • skeetsgb
    Free Member

hi
    im going to take the plunge and get myself a bike, most of my mates are riding so i kinda feel left out. im going to do mainly trails, local woodland, xc nothing major but i would have a go at anything.

ive done alot of research on internet/forums (you guys seem to be the best )and ive narrow my bikes down to 3. ive got about £700/750. no scheme so its my hard earn cash. okay which is the best please, many thanks again.

Whyte 805 Bike (2011)
    Frame: 6061 Hydro Formed T6 Aluminium, Custom Drawn and Multi Butted
    Fork: RockShox Recon Silver TK, 100mm Travel, Adjustable Rebound, Turn Key Lockout
    Rear Shock: N/A
    Crankset: Shimano M521, 44-32-22, 9 Speed
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-ES25 Square Taper
    Pedals: VP Composite with Alloy Cage and Toe Clip
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Alivio, 9 Speed
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano SLX Shadow, 9 Speed
    Shifters: Shimano Alivio, 9 Speed
    Cassette: Shimano HG-61, 11-34, 9 Speed
    Chain: Shimano HG-53, 9 Speed
    Front Hub: Alloy, Double Sealed Bearing Hub, 32 Hole
    Rear Hub: Alloy, Double Sealed Bearing Hub, 32 Hole
    Rims: Alex TD-24, 32 Hole
    Tyres: Continental Trail King Wire 26” x 2.2”
    Front Brakes: Hayes Stroker Comp, V6 Rotor
    Rear Brake: Hayes Stroker Comp, V6 Rotor
    Brake Levers: Hayes Stroker Comp
    Handlebars: Whyte Low Rise 20mm, 31.8mm, 680mm Wide
    Headset: FSA Semi Integrated, 1 1/8” Sealed Cartridge Bearings
    Stem: Whyte Custom, 70mm S, 70mm M, 80mm L
    Seat: Whyte Custom
    Grips: Whyte Custom Lock-on.

GIANT TALON 0

AluxX aluminium, Fluid FormedTM
    Forks RockShox Recon Silver TK Solo Air, aluminium steerer, 100mm travel
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XT Shadow
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Shifters Shimano Deore 27 speed
    Chainset Shimano M542 22/32/44
    Bottom Bracket Shimano External
    Chain Shimano HG73
    Freewheel Shimano HG50 11-34
    Stem Giant Connect
    Handlebars Giant Connect riser
    Front Brake Shimano 445 hydraulic discs 160mm rotors
    Rear Brake Shimano 445 hydraulic discs 160mm rotors
    Brake Levers Shimano 505
    Rims Giant S-XC2 DW aluminium
    Front Hub Giant Tracker
    Rear Hub Shimano M475
    Tyres Kenda Nevegal DTC 26×2.1″
    Saddle Giant Cross Trail D2
    Seatpost Giant Connect
    Pedals Giant platform

AND FINALLY A HALFORDS BIKE, WHICH IM UNSURE BUTS ITS 100 QUID CHEAPER THAN THE TWO ABOVE,

VooDoo Bokor Mountain Bike 2011
    Approximate Weight (KG): 14.3kg
    Brake Type: Hydraulic Disc
    Chainset: Shimano FC-M431
    Fork Lock-out : Yes
    Fork travel: 140mm
    Forks: 140mm Suntour Epicon air suspension fork with lockout & 15mm through axle
    Frame Colour: Matt White
    Frame Material: Alloy
    Frame Size: 19-20
    Frame-: Lightweight 7005 aluminium
    Front Brake: Tektro Auriga Comp Hydraulic disc 180mm rotor
    Front Mech: Shimano Deore FD-M590
    Gear Shifters: Shimano Deore SL-M590 27spd
    Handle Bars: Riser 31.8mm
    Headset: 1 1/8 Aheadset
    Number of Gears: 27
    Rear Brake: Tektro Auriga Comp Hydraulic disc 160mm rotor
    Rear Mech: Shimano Deore RD-M592
    Rims: Alex SX44 Double wall black 32 hole disc rim
    Saddle: VL-3165
    Seatpost: 400mm Alloy 27.2
    Stem: 31.8mm alloy 80mm
    Suspension: Front
    Tyre size: 2.25″
    Tyres: Maxxis Ardent 26 x 2.25
    Wheel size: 26

SORRY IF THE POST IS LONG, ANY HELP IS GREATLY WELCOMED. THANKYOU

RealMan
    Free Member

Canyon probably be the best.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2052

£750 for juicy 3s, xt rear mech, deore drivetrain, decent tyres, and a reba air fork. Sorted, much better then those other 3.

mcboo
    Free Member

Hello and welcome. You are right, we are the very best.

Have a look at Canyon, unlikely you will find better bang for your buck, German mail-order company, lot of folk on here started getting them (including me).

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2052

mcboo
    Free Member

hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

stumpy01

How have you got to your shortlist?
    Have you looked at others and discounted them?

There’s a Boardman from Halfords for about £650 that would get my vote over the Voodoo you mention.
    And have you considered a Specialized Rockhopper? Probably considered to be a ‘boring’ choice, but it would be an excellent bike to get started on.
    That Canyon mentioned above also looks like a good buy, but you would struggle to test ride one in advance as they only deal mail order, I think.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Out of the ones you’ve seen. is there one you like the look of best? Appeals to you the most?

thomthumb
    Free Member

out of the three options i would go giant. seems to have a better spread of components. decent fork, brakes and gears.

just remember as with any bike you might want to change the saddle for comfort, the stem for sizing and the tyres for something that suits you / your local terrain. (ask when you buy it)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Whyte would be my pick on frame alone. Whytes ride very well indeed.

Another consideration – Where to buy….I would always suggest you use your LBS (Local bike shop) as they’ll help you get the most out of the bike in the longer run. Whereabouts are you based?

skeetsgb
    Free Member

thanks for the reply lads, going to have a look at the canyon like you side when im finish this post. i came to those bikes really by the forks, it seem what im reading its all about frame and forks ( the darts and suntours, i keep hearing r bad things on forums). so those choices seemed good ! i dont no anything about the bikes lol. i do like the look of the giant and whyte. reading to many reviews and forums i think ive got a fork phobia as im trying to get the best buy possible. hmmm i didnt think it would be hard tbh lol. i suppose there is no bad things about the 2 i picked, like everyone says its how it rides for you.

thanks again lads, im sure i will be sticking around in the near future

skeetsgb
    Free Member

wow i like the look of that canyon. is it worth buying seriously ! the look of it is exactly what i want, dont no about the gear as i havent a clue, but you guys say the spec is spot on. hmm watch this space

hainman
    Free Member
    skeetsgb
    Free Member

many thanks, but ive been convinced to buy the canyon. it was between the 4.0 and the 5.0, as there is 140 quid, but its nearly xmas so ive decided on the 5.0 lol. went to buy it and its out of stock. ive just got to keep checking. ive sat on a large frame and seemed comfortable on one, but the size checker is saying medium, . but a couple of centi more it goes to largeim 5.11. going to go with large when it available.

thanks again, wouldnt have found this one with you guys. nice one

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Skeet if Canyon recommend medium is get a medium. Or give them a bell and chat about it. Worst case you can have it delivered and if it feels too small they will take it back at no charge to you.

Smaller bikes are easier to ride, if you get one too big it can ruin the fun and your ability.

mcboo
    Free Member

+1 on size, think medium at 5’11 unless you are very long legged…..have a chat with Cullen at Canyon.

Your spelling is making my eyes bleed.

warton
    Free Member

Skeet if Canyon recommend medium is get a medium

Not sure about their MTB sizing, but their road sizing comes out tiny. I am 5’11 and it recommended me a small road bike, I went medium, and it is a very good racy fit, but could easily go large after trying a friends large, I’d phone them up and have a chat.

but apart from that I am a massive Canyon fan. You can;t go wrong IMO.

One thing, if its out of stock it may be for a long time, I believe they make their bike in batches throughout the year, so one week they’ll get model A size small, next week Model A size medium, week after model B size small.

skeetsgb
    Free Member

haha sorry about my spelling, im just a lazy writer. ive ordered by bike.. YIPEE. a 4.0 came in stock on medium. i did the size chart several times and medium was coming up everytime, also the frame size is 18.5, so yep i reckon you guys were correct again !

well thanks mcboo for your link, it wasnt the 5.0 but the 4.0 but i saved nearly £150 so that can go towards helmet, locks, lights etc. i will post a pic when i recieve it.

thankyou again

gaz

mcboo
    Free Member

nice one, thats a whole lot of bike for under £700.

RealMan
    Free Member

Good choice, hope you enjoy it. Try not to leave it out in public too much, even locked up. Shiny new fairly expensive looking bikes scream nick me.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘another which bike to buy please’ is closed to new replies.