Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Another wheelbuilding thread
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

I’m planning to build my first wheel soon, with a hope pro 2 front hub and a mavic open pro rim, 36h.

I’ve compared three different spoke calculators and have some surprising lengths:

Mavic website:
    L Front: 289.58
    R Front: 288.94
    L Rear : 288.52
    R Rear: 290.00

Wheelpro website:
    L Front: 288.8
    R Front: 290.4
    L Rear : 289.9
    R Rear: 289.2

Spocalc.xls:
    L Front: 289.0
    R Front: 290.6
    L Rear : 290.2
    R Rear: 289.4

I have a couple of questions. Firstly, which is likely to be the better calculator?

I guess the mavic website must be using a different diameter to the one I used (605mm).

Which values should I use? And do these small differences make much difference when the nipples are 14mm, and the spokes off CRC only come in 2mm increments anyway?

Cheers

clubber
    Free Member

They’re all close enough to not matter. Go on the shorter side and you’ll be fine. Fwiw I always use the dt Swiss calculator. Make sure you do account for the nipple length though as many calcs will be based on 12mm

Mowgli
    Free Member

Thanks. I’ll check the DT one later. Should I take off 2mm from the above to account for the longer nipples then?

rootes1

er to the short side – you might find your local lbs has spokes in 1mm increments.

any how 36 288 and 36 290 should do you – check nipple length as clubber said

clubber
    Free Member

The dt one allows you to enter nipple length

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Another wheelbuilding thread’ is closed to new replies.