Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Another 'dealing with a neighbour' issue.
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

My next door neighbour for some reason chooses not to use either his garage or driveway to park his or his sons cars. Fine, that’s his prerogative.

However, what he chooses to do is park his car on the road in front of the entrance to his drive (also fine) and his son parks his car on the grassed area that is outside the front of both his and my property. Now I know that grass verges are owned by the council and nobody has any right to a parking spot just because it’s outside their property but what I am starting to get annoyed about are the four deepening mud trenches that are appearing in the grassy verge where his car is parked daily.

The grass looks a muddy mess now and isn’t pleasant to look at. On top of that my neighbours son has a girlfriend now who comes and stays over every night and she parks her car outside my house which means if I ever have a guest they have to park 5 houses down the road (we have a small drive only able to fit my car).

Parking is a nightmare in our street as all of the neighbours kids are getting cars so I can’t help but think it’s unreasonable for a neighbour with both a garage and drive not to use them and instead line the front of my property with cars and mash-up the grassy verge outside my house.

I want to approach this with my neighbour but don’t want to have a poor relationship with him. Am I being fussy and unreasonable?

warton
    Free Member

make sure he can’t get out of his house, and throw a petrol bomb through the letterbox, late at night. Sorted.

avdave2

his son parks his car on the grassed area

There are few things that deserve the death penalty but this does

SaxonRider

I got angry with your neighbours just by reading your post.

Other than that, I can’t add anything.

rogg
    Free Member

Just tell him you want to give the grass a chance to grow back a bit, and can he park somewhere else for a while?

A few houses back I had a similar problem with a strip of grass between parking bays, but with random parkers, not neighbours. I owned the bay and the grass, but some inconsiderate **** used to drive across it and churn it up, instead of straight out of the bay. I bought the biggest rocks I could find at the garden centre and put them on the grass. It was gratifying to see the odd bit of car paint on the rocks every now and then.

faz083
    Free Member

put nails in your grassy verge? Or if you aren’t that harsh, just some obvious rocks?

user-removed
    Free Member

Aye, just ask politely and in a friendly manner – he probably knows he’s pushing his luck.

I always used to park in front of our neighbour’s house as my wife parked in front of our house, and the neighbour parked their car round the back. I always felt a bit guilty about it and sure enough, she eventually asked me not to park there, as it was a pain for them when their grandchildren visited.

I was a bit put out for about a day, but got over it, and only ever park there now when there’s nowhere else.

cbike
    Free Member

Plan A – Ask him if he can afford to pay for the repairs to your potential collapsed water main/sewage.

Plan B – Place Big White rocks and start cutting the grass round the car yourself with the dodgiest unguarded strimmer you can find.

Plan C – Start parking in his driveway.

Junkyard
    Free Member

ther eis nowehere to park is the cause of this problem
    I doubt they will change and i am not sure why you would borach it
    One of my neighbourts took to parkin a van outside my house [ half on roan /half on the path as it blocks the light if he parks outside his!!!
    i asked why he thought I should endure it and he did not move it so I just started parking there to stop him.Do this instead that will annoy them more IMHO

No point falling out over parking as there are two many cars and too few spaces. inconsiderate folk just DGAS IME

crankboy
    Free Member

Until a propper government does the only sensible thing and introduces the death penalty for parking on grass verges then large rocks are the way forward . Either placed on the verge or dropped on their bonnet.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Mediation its the future 😉

zimbo
    Free Member

If you’re not keen on confronting your neighbour directly (which I can understand, because falling out with people you have to live among is a pain the arse) why not just make a discreet enquiry with the Local Authority to see if parking on the verge is forbidden; they’ll maybe ask who is parking on a verge, and you’ll have no option as a law abiding citizen but to spill the beans. They may then do something about it.
    I can understand your annoyance. I’m getting sick and tired of people who think they’re more important than the rest of the world.

Cougar

if I ever have a guest they have to park 5 houses down the road

Wow, as far away as that? How do you cope?

They’re parking in a public place; you have no claim to the road outside your house. You have no redress I’m afraid, other than asking your neighbour to be a little more considerate.

Parking on the verge might be illegal; certainly if it was a pavement then it would be. I’m assuming it’s not a dropped kerb, in which case you might have some luck getting the council involved to stop them doing it. If I were your neighbour though, I’d be pissed that you’d gone running to the authorities without saying something to me first. (And if you came whining to me about parking on a public road I’d tell you to wind your neck in.)

landcruiser
    Free Member

I have recently had a similar situation (mainly the son parking outside my house, leaving ample spaces in their drive! wtf?) and decided to nicely and politely speak to my neighbours about it. The end result is they don’t park outside my house anymore, (they park outside the people across the road) and don’t talk to me anymore ! FFS ! I have since realised that as I didn’t have much to do with them anyway it’s a win win 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

my neighbours son has a girlfriend

Pictures. 🙄

smell_it
    Free Member

Why would you want to maintain a relationship with the sort of lowlife scum that would park on a grass verge. Down five cans of Stella and then get yourself round there and have it out, if debate doesn’t seem to be progressing things just remember furious fists say more than words ever can. Don’t forget to then use his front lawn as a toilet.

joolsburger
    Free Member

My BIL had a similar problem and put in four wooden posts in on the verge outside his house. You can’t do much about the verge outside your neighbours place though.

samuri
    Free Member

Chances are though, I bet they don’t even realise it’s bothering someone.

I would never park across someone’s drive, I’d drive half a mile to find somewhere else no problem but where I live now it’s a way of life. The next door neighbours used to do it routinely. I do believe they were genuinally surprised when I complained. One of my wife’s friends does it to next door and I cringe with embarrassment when she does it. I asked her once if it bothered her knowing that she was causing someone annoyance, she asked me why it would annoy someone. Because they can’t get their car in and out you silly mare!
    “Oh they’ll come and ask if they need to do that.”

It’s crazy. Park 8 feet further along and there won’t be any problem.

Death penalty, yes.

user-removed
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    ther eis nowehere to park is the cause of this problem

OP:

fervouredimage – Member
    My next door neighbour for some reason chooses not to use either his garage or driveway to park his or his sons cars.

Not reading OP FAIL 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

if I ever have a guest they have to park 5 houses down the road (we have a small drive only able to fit my car).

Parking is a nightmare in our street as all of the neighbours kids are getting cars

I am not sure if they can get two cars there as OP can only get one in as well

Lets just agree to blame the OP for being vague 😀

patriotpro
    Free Member

Park in front of their house and let them come to you about the situation.

If they ask you not to do it, perfect opp’ to advise them not to do same…

That or ask them ‘in passing’ or even write them a note.

seadog101

As long as there is no hosepipe ban, get out there and madly water the grass outside you place until it is a boggy quagmire. Once they are sunk down to the hubs and spinning furiously – pop out there and film the hilarious shenanigans and sad attempts to get moving again.

Failing that – land mines.

OK, so it’ll totally trash the grass but what larks!

project
    Free Member

Get ascrap car from somewhere, and park it in front of their house slightly blocking the entry,and let the tyre down, leave a note on the dashboard with an apolgy letter wuith a mobile number for your worst enemy, or a for sale sign, with your neighbours number on it.

Possibly put a for sale add in the shop a few miles away, with full details of the car for sale, and the neighbours address,and contact details, witrha low price.

Finally contact the local council and complain annonymusly.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Although morally you hold the high ground, legally you probably don’t. Although SOME councils prohibit parking on verges, most recognise there are far too many cars on our roads vs. spaces and unfortunately allow it. Regardless, putting any obstruction on the verge (rocks, posts) is an offence.

If people park on verges outside our property, I ask them nicely not to, explaining that it damages grass and also looks a little oiky. So far so good, but then I live in a road where no one else parks on verges anyway.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

have know some friends to install plastic bollard things in the grass verge to ‘encourge’ people to park elsewhere

how about installing so of this verge protection

schnullelieber
    Free Member

Get a big dog. Let it crap all over the grass verge. He’ll stop parking on it

Woody
    Free Member

I’m getting sick and tired of people who think they’re more important than the rest of the world.

This ^^.

My neighbours Mother, for reasons I never worked out, used to park her car mostly on the pavement directly in front of my house instead of her daughters, which meant people then walked over my grass to get by. I solved it by mowing the damp grass, forgetting to put on the catch basket 😈

trail_rat
    Free Member

I solved my neighbour situation with a 1.75 tonne 1980s land rover on te edge of my land – meaning youd need skill to park …. No longer does she throw my gate away – know anyone with a big ole van to stick there for a week or so ?

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Wow, as far away as that? How do you cope?

They’re parking in a public place; you have no claim to the road outside your house. You have no redress I’m afraid, other than asking your neighbour to be a little more considerate.

Parking on the verge might be illegal; certainly if it was a pavement then it would be. I’m assuming it’s not a dropped kerb, in which case you might have some luck getting the council involved to stop them doing it. If I were your neighbour though, I’d be pissed that you’d gone running to the authorities without saying something to me first. (And if you came whining to me about parking on a public road I’d tell you to wind your neck in.)

Cougar, can I ask you to re-read my post? I clearly state that I am aware that nobody has a legal right to a spot simply because it is outside their property and that isn’t my issue. If they want to park outside my house, then fine. I only have 1 car so have no need to regularly use the spot directly in front of my house. I simply have an issue with the fact he has a double length driveway and garage and in the 3 years I have lived here neither the drive nor the garage have seen car tyres and instead the verge outside my house and indeed the road directly outside my house have become his parking spots instead. If I did have 2 cars I wouldn’t have any where to park the second car as a result. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want the grassy verge outside my house not to be a muddy pit.

Also, I should add that if you told me to wind my neck in I’d bludgeon your head in with a stone. I do have a tendency to overreact I’m afraid. What can you do.

donsimon
    Free Member

If

For such a little fella, he certainly carries a lot of weight.
    So, wind your neck in, grow some and call the council, it’s their problem.

yunki
    Free Member

it’s nearly summer.. bar-b-que time..

buy loads of strong beer and cider and some meat and charcoal.. get a few neighbours and pals round.. put some tunes on.. get drunk together and talk about stuff..

it’s what men do

Junkyard
    Free Member

if you told me to wind my neck in I’d bludgeon your head in with a stone. I do have a tendency to overreact I’m afraid. What can you do

go to anger management and seek professional help brag about your lack of self control on the internet thereby making grown men swoon at your awesomeness?

Cougar

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want the grassy verge outside my house not to be a muddy pit.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable either. However, that wasn’t what I was getting at; what I was trying to say (in a lot-altogether-serious kind of way) is that IMHO you don’t have much legal redress other than the council controlling the verge. “Reasonable” doesn’t come into it, unless you have reasonable neighbours who are willing to be, well, reasonable. To wit, you have three options: 1, talk to your neighbour; 2, talk to the council; 3, lump it.

Also, I should add that if you told me to wind my neck in I’d bludgeon your head in with a stone. I do have a tendency to overreact I’m afraid. What can you do.

I think I’ve found your solution if your neighbours fail to be reasonable. (-:

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP, wind your neck in, eh?

Sandwich

Calthrops are the way forward.

RichPenny
    Free Member

CountZero

I was going to suggest caltrops, either that or smash some big beer bottles and leave the glass in the grassy area until he gets the message, then re-fill and sow new grass.

palmer77
    Free Member

I had a similar problem when some new people moved in next door. They, and their many visitors used to park across my driveway meaning I had to go to their house and ask them to move when going in and out. Their response: ‘You can get out of there’ and ‘Can’t people drive these days?’ I genuinely believe that they just didn’t get it. One time after a particularly stressful day I went to ask them to move as their visitor had blocked me in they said: ‘Since we’ve moved in you have been really grumpy!’ Anyway we had a bit of a chat and I explained that actually it was really difficult if people parked as they had been doing. Later that night I took them a bottle of wine around to thank them and it hasn’t been a problem since.

damo2576
    Free Member

Cut their brake pipes.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Jizz on the car then set it on fire. Most problems can be solved with Jizz, fire or a combination of both.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Another 'dealing with a neighbour' issue.’ is closed to new replies.