Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Android tablets (again)
  • Bez

Right then, decent 10″ Android tablets with a budget up to £300? Important things are battery life, SD slot, decent screen. GPS would be nice.

A quick shufty suggests the Motorola Xoom 2. Anything else on the cards, or any reason not to gat a Xoom?

(BTW, don’t suggest an iPad. Though feel free chip in if you want to buy a mint iPad 3 with a nice case and the camera kit.)

Dai
    Free Member

Details of iPad please. Email in profile.

Cheers.

druidh
    Free Member

I just bought my daughter a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. There was a £50 redemption offer going on, making it less than £250.

redwoods
    Free Member

I’ve got an Acer Iconia A510 – currently £340 at Amazon, so a little bit above your budget, but it’s got great battery life, quad core processor, 32GB onboard storage, micro SD card and GPS.
    As with everything there’s pros as well as cons (screen is said not to be the greatest compared to others, for example, but to my eye I can’t really tell the difference, and the camera is a bit duff, but that’s not a feature I’ll ever use).

uponthedowns
    Free Member

If you can wait I’d say wait for the Nexus 10 to come out like I’m doing. The Nexus 7 running jelly bean is the only Android tablet I’ve seen that has the same fluidity of screen response as an iPad. The Nexus 10 should be around £300 when it appears in the next couple of months. However if its like the Nexus 7 it might not take SD.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Samsung Galaxy 10.1 2 tab at John Lewis for £300 with 2 years guarantee. Love mine.
    http://www.johnlewis.com/231692578/Product.aspx

jambalaya
    Free Member

@bez – iPad details please, email in profile. (my iPad1 is still going strong but the new screen is amazing)

allthepies
    Free Member
    Bez

Re the iPad… claimed by a mate shortly after I posted, sorry – will mail you guys if he changes his mind.

The Galaxy Tab 2 is on the shortlist. That, the Xoom 2, and the Asus Transformer TF101. The Asus looks the favourite though the Galaxy’s price is tempting. Need to suss out whether ICS on the Galaxy will make iPlayer too much of a faff.

Cheers.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Galaxy tab 10.1 down to £249 in Currys too.

They are great, and you can’t go wrong at that price.

Bez

How is iPlayer on ICS?

Bez

And the Samsung SD card reader (the accessory, not the internal MicroSD reader) – does that mount as writable storage, or read-only like the iPad?

wisepranker
    Free Member

If you’re interested in a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, I’ve got one that’s about three weeks old that I’m selling for £150ono.

boxelder

Transformer here. External storage (usb) and detachable keyboard swung it for me.

Bez

Right then… If it was just for me I’d get the Transformer, but it’s not, so… It would appear that for what I can sell my iPad, case and camera kit for, I can get the Galaxy Tab 2 with the same case and the equivalent connection kit. Which seems like a pretty straight swap of iOS for Android even though it loses the fancy screen and no doubt a little performance.

So, any good reason not to buy a Galaxy Tab 2? Anyone able to confirm that iPlayer is or isn’t good on ICS?

druidh
    Free Member

iPlayer works fine for me on my ICS phone

Bez

Good, cheers. Is that website or app?

Bez

Oh, and 4OD. I need 4OD too 🙂

GrahamS

(what about ITV Player and Demand5, for the full “council telly” experience?)

Bez

No 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Briefly had an Asus Transformer Prime. Really good, but aluminium case shielded the wifi receiver, so it failed and was sent back. About to buy the Asus TF300t instead. downgrade to plastic case, but should have better (ie working) wifi. bit more than your £300 budget, but I know somewhere I can get one for £350.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

How long before the specs start rising and the prices start to fall?

nickjb
    Free Member

The keyboard accuracy seems to be where the cheap ones fall down best to play with one if you intend to do any typing. GPS might be tricky, too, on a budget unit.

Oh, and 4OD. I need 4OD too

I don’t think there is an app for 4od, you just watch it through the website which they claim is optimised for tablet use. I found it a bit clunky and I couldn’t skip the ads.

How long before the specs start rising and the prices start to fall?

They already are

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Android tablets (again)’ is closed to new replies.