Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Android Nexus 9 – anything else?
  • dawson

Any suggestions for tablets around? £170 max budget

I seem to remember Hudl being recommended but now discontinued?

Samsung Galaxy Tab A seems similar price but is screen lower quality?

darryl1983
    Free Member

Nvidia Shield tablet @ £150. This benefits from having an SD card reader. It’s sold as a gaming tablet, but it about the best android tablet you can get for the money.

Nexus 9, is also very good if you can live with 16gb of storage space.

properbikeco
    Free Member

I’ve just been on the look as well and finally bought a roughly 10″ tablet.

Considered nexus, sony xperia and others but finally got a Lenovo Yoga 2.

Mainly bought for the long battery life – very happy so far – £160 at Argos atm.

CraigW
    Free Member

Got a Lenovo Yoga 2 10″ here, happy with it.
    It does have a decent, high resolution screen. Note it seems the Yoga 3 is actually lower resolution than the Yoga 2. So probably best to try and get a Yoga 2.
    Yes, it has a bigger battery than most, so good battery life. Though this makes it fairly heavy, wouldn’t want to be using it handheld too much. The built in stand is quite useful.

dawson

Thanks – hadn’t heard of those – will take a look

I_Ache
    Free Member

Are any of the above rivals for a Nexus 10? I have had the 10 since it came out but the battery is knackered now so it only lasts about 90 mins before dieing. I could do with a new one which is a shame because it is still good in every other way.

onewheelgood

The Nvidia Shield is £149, has a great spec and is getting good reviews

iainc

Another Lenovo 2 here, had for about 3 months, works well, good battery compared to Hudl it replaced. Was about £130 at John Lewis.

househusband

Have always had me eye on the nVidia Shield but recall it being way more than £150, maybe when it first arrived; sounds like the price has dropped!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Cardiff John Lewis had a 32 gb nexus 9 on clearance for 200 last weekend

toby1

Have an Asus Zenpad 8 at the moment, seems a pretty good replacement for the Nexus 7 I had before. Only had it a couple of weeks though so not done too much with it just yet.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I use the Nexus 9 a lot for reading and the form factor is better than the Nexus 10 I used before. I use the cover-up anti-glare covers and they pretty much turn it into a color e-reader.

I have also bought the HTC keyboard cover for it (on sale) and quite like it.

Don’t think I would every buy a 16:9 tablet as portrait on it looks too restrictive.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Hated my Nexus 9, had two, one died in a couple of days when WiFi died. The other I sent back due to poor performance, why was it so much laggier than N5 given the superior hardware?

Then I got a Tab S, amazing screen, literally jaw dropping, but SoC mid range, worked well until it died, after 6 months.

Then I got the Lenovo 2 10, really liked it, weighty, but screen size made up for it all round nice bit of kit but poor gpu meant playing any fast moving game (couldn’t play pinball!) impossible. Went back to JL.

Got an Nvidia Shield k1 now. It’s OK, screen a bit washed out (maybe just in comparison to the oled Samsung screen) , WiFi range not great, really annoying power and volume buttons. Can do all sorts of stuff with other Nvidia products. Already on Marshmallow, sd card now fully supported (again) in the os,nice speakers, feels solidly yet cheaply built. Good value at £150,reminds me of the Nexus 7 2013 but with way more grunt.

If you’re not worried about games or bothered by the weight the Lenovo is a good tablet,else the Nvidia seems like a bargain for £150,and if you’re really into gaming it’s a no brainer.

properbikeco
    Free Member

all I’ll say is make sure you compare like for like with screen size – there is a BIG difference between and 8″ and a 10″ screen

best way (since I’m sure they will all be powerful enough) is to go somewhere you can see and handle them all and just feel for which you like best

they do the yoga 2 in 8″ size too btw.

thepurist

Another Asus ZenPad 8 here, looked at some of the others mentioned but for our use the Asus seemed the best bang for buck at the time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Android Nexus 9 – anything else?’ is closed to new replies.