Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Android Music players?
  • scruff
    Free Member

I have a HTC something phone with whatever player came with it, but I cant choose the Artist, then choose a particular album from that artist, I either have to scroll though all the albums or all songs by that artist, which causes me mild irritation. Any decent alternatives which would alleviate me from mild irritation?

scaredypants

player pro is quite good IMO – can’t remember why I ended up with it in particular, but I tried a few and kept this one

youngrob

Poweramp is great. I use doubletwist to connect to itunes and download podcasts directly but I always use poweramp to listen to everything.

Bimbler
    Free Member

+1 for Poweramp

Northwind

I’m just using the stock HTC Desire S music player and it does exactly what you want, so not sure what’s going on there. When you transfer music to the phone, do you retain the artist/album/song directory structure?

scruff
    Free Member

Northwind, I just sync it with Media player.

midlifecrashes

Another PowerAmp fan here, only app I’ve paid for.

Northwind

Hmm. Well, I don’t use sync because I’ve got too much music tbh, so I just copy the folders into the device as a data drive, works a charm and always picks up the correct structure, track order etc.

Cougar

PowerAmp, +n. It’s the One True Way.

(Other ways may be available)

cranberry
    Free Member

^^^ What them said.

( well, at least the ones that said “PowerAmp” )

warton
    Free Member

see, I’ve been thinking about across to android from iOS, but stuff like this:

I use doubletwist to connect to itunes and download podcasts directly but I always use poweramp to listen to everything.

I just think, what? I suppose the only way to find out is to try it out…

scruff
    Free Member

So, if I go into the artist on Poweramp can I then choose a particular album by that artist ?

Cougar

As far as transferring goes,

I’ve instructed iTunes to leave my music the hell alone, and I “sync” stuff to my phone by the tremendously complicated process of copy and paste.

I never saw the point of making life “easier” by using thirty-seven variably compatible apps to automate the process of “take these files frm here and copy them there.” They’re just files, they’re not magic unicorns requiring some sort of mystical voodoo.

youngrob

Scruff – Yes.

On the Copy/Paste thing. Yes it can be that easy but itunes stores music by artist so that if I want to copy a compilation with 20 songs, I have to look for each of the artist folders and copy them. I open doubletwist on my phone and laptop, they connect via wireless and I can copy by album. This is the only thing that was easier on an iphone. I’m still happier with my S3.

bikebouy
    Free Member

PowerAmp, get the full version though.

MrGreedy

Just a point on the syncing – there’s a quite handy plugin called iTunes sync. You just create a playlist in iTunes (can be a smart playlist, or just drag and drop), then connect your phone in mass storage mode and it will sync up. If you add/delete tracks to/from the playlist they’ll be transferred/removed from the phone at the next sync.

fubar
    Free Member

…this sounds familiar….ripped your music in itunes by any chance ? Can’t remember exactly but there was an option in itunes to ‘convert’ the tags to a more ‘normal’ format that Android then recognizes.

I messed around with loads of players..only one of them sorted it (because it created it’s own media database rather than using the system one) – can’t remember which app but at the end you don’t need a new app…just get your tags sorted by itunes….I’ll see if I can find the option.

p.s. I wasted loads of time before discovering – this really have a look

fubar
    Free Member

mmm…can’t remember…right-click on music – convert id3 tags.,..I’m guessing that was the option….google around that areas and I’m sure you will find the answer
    e.g.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2160006?start=0&tstart=0

http://androidcommunity.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-34524.html

p.s. I was very irritated by this – took me ages to find the answer but this is it !

skooby39
    Free Member

OP, I have the stock HTC music player, and you just click artist, then it comes up with the list of albums by that artist. I note someone else has said this above. Have you checked nothing has been customised or adjusted to block this?

Cougar

itunes stores music by artist so that if I want to copy a compilation with 20 songs, I have to look for each of the artist folders and copy them.

Not on my bloody watch it doesn’t. iTunes stores music by “where I copied it to in the first place”, and it’ll get uninstalled bloody sharpish if it starts getting delusions of adequacy about the contents of my hard disk.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

realplayer

clubber
    Free Member

winamp. good widget too.

druidh
    Free Member

Again, I’m just using the stock Android player on my HTC and I get all that functionality you are after. I just mount it as a remote drive and copy over what I want folder by folder. I don’t understand where an “app” is required.

martymac

+lots poweramp, better in many ways than stock samsung media player.
    more control, more options, better sound, and its cheap.
    used on an S2 here.

CountZero

Not on my bloody watch it doesn’t. iTunes stores music by “where I copied it to in the first place”, and it’ll get uninstalled bloody sharpish if it starts getting delusions of adequacy about the contents of my hard disk.

While I wouldn’t quite go that far, in essence mine’s the same, all my music, currently 112Gb, is in one place on my HDD, apart from my Classic, which automatically updates itself with the latest stuff that I’ve added to iTunes, effectively being a full backup as well, anything else is set to not sync music when the device is synced, then I just drag’n’drop any tracks I want, or else I set up a playlist for that device, find the tracks I want and drag them into it, then sync the device with just that playlist. Or d’n’d it. Did that with my old N95, set up a playlist, filled it to an 8Gb capacity, then d’n’d’d it into the SD card and put that in the phone. Worked fine. For two hours, after which the battery died.
    Not a phone I miss particularly, but it played nice with iTunes. 😀

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Android Music players?’ is closed to new replies.