Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • And why do you want the job when…?
  • Pandora
    Free Member

…you've not been long in the current one?

Suffering harassment and bullying from my boss since nearly day one and I can't take it any more as it's stuffing up my life. The post has had a high turnover of staff before me (not the sort of thing you get told at interview)

I've now got an interview for a much better job on Friday but they are going to ask why I'm leaving. All the guidance says you musn't rubbish your current company or boss so what do I say?

😕

fubar
    Free Member

how about saying how unchallenging it is

rs
    Free Member

you say its a much better job, surely thats a reason, make up some BS about your career aspirations or something.

SaxonRider

'I found my current post unexpectedly difficult. Very seldom in my life have I found it difficult to work with others, but due to the behaviour of one of my colleagues, I have to say that this was just one of those situations. I'm afraid that I couldn't work to my potential under such circumstances.'

In other words, the truth couched in diplomatic, mature language.

Northwind

Always a good answer. Or, "The role turned out not to be what was described"- avoids slating the company but also has a nice honesty vibe to it.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

2nd Northwind, was in a similar situation where the role wasn't as expected, didn't fit with my career plan etc, essentially it was making me miserable. Then follow up with questions that show you're making sure the role is what you want. I think it's those questions that will inspire confidence in you and show that you've learnt from a mistake. Though obviously it's not your fault in this case.

Pandora
    Free Member

These are good answers thanks 🙂

That's a point though.. what questions should I be asking?

Arrgh! The pressure!

Gordy
    Free Member

I always recommend asking, near the end, if they have any doubts about your ability to do the job. If they do then you'll get a chance to address them. If not, you get the pleasure of having them say that you could do the job.

However, some people think it's a bad question to ask. Decide for yourself. :O)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You'll need to say what sort of job / industry for help on questions.

Digger90
    Free Member

Tell thyem you were mis-sold the job and it turned out not to be what you had expected.

If they ask you to elaborate there is nothing wrong with saying that there has been very high churn in the role due to overbearing management.

That is not 'rubbishing' your current employer, it is being honest but not negative.

If the company you're interviewing at doesn't respect that – they don't deserve you.

Philby

Ask about the culture of the company, the management style of your potential boss, and what they perceive as the main challenges should you join them.

Pandora
    Free Member

It is in local government in policy and performance in adult social care and support.

Good questions too!

I really appreciate the Oracle that is the STW Forum 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘And why do you want the job when…?’ is closed to new replies.