Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • And now some good news. 29plus content.
  • greatbeardedone
    Free Member

So I managed to get out for a quick spin round Murdock.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98219308@N08/shares/28yc53

That’s the 29plus tyre above.

Some random thoughts…

Bear in mind that it’s on an Alex dp17 rim which may affect the profile.

So, it blows up to 2.8 width on my calipers.

Not a particularly gnarly tread. But it helps climbing immensely.

I’m going to try to post something on YouTube, but I was storming along parts of the trail which I’d normally be walking up.

By comparison, I took a proper fat bike for a (very short) spin round the block, but it wasn’t as much fun as this.

I haven’t gone tubeless yet, so I used a 2.6 inner tube.

Only downside tonight was that I should have let some air out on the descents.

Fits fine on my surly fork, but I also dug out an old rst m-29 fork and it rubbed on the arch.

Some day I might find out how it handles tram lines.

Highly impressed!

breadcrumb

17mm is way too narrow for a plus tyre. I’d say 2.2 would be too big for a 17 tbh.

To run the pressure low enough for a plus tyre to work it would be folding off the rim.

What pressure are you running?

poah
    Free Member

its mugdock BTW

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Does it look like a mud tyre?

poah
    Free Member

Stedlocks – Member

Does it look like a mud tyre?

what has that got to do with the park’s name?

takisawa2

Try it on a wide rim, much better on a Dually.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

That rim is much too narrow !)

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments, folks.

The rims were all that I had to hand.
    I’m hoping to get my hands on some superstar xx27’s. Maybe they’ll do some in orange with black spokes?

I was running around 45psi.
    Paired up with a conti vapour 2.1 at the rear (cos that was all that would fit on the Ridgeback)

Stonked uphill. Lots of fun!
    I can see 29+ becoming a permanent feature on the front of my bike,

sillyoldman

Best on a 40-45mm internal width rim, run at low double digit pressures. 45psi is madness for any off-road tyre – especially one with that volume -you lose all the advantages. I appreciate that you need to run high pressures due to a seriously undersized rim, but 45psi???

dovebiker

Been running 29+ on Velocity P35 rims for over 3 years with no problems and tyre pressures of 12-15psi. 45 psi is madness, the tyre would be bouncing all over the place and losing all the benefit of a high volume tyre.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Yes, it was rather bouncy! Fun too.
    Bear in mind that there was an inner tube too,

I’ll let some air out to see where the ‘sweet spot’ is.

One of the reasons that I posted the write up was to highlight its potential for commuting too, tramlines notwithstanding.
    The rolling resistance of a fatbnimble (afaik) is lower than that of a pukka road racing tyre, and you’re not going to experience any aerodynamic drag unless you’re going above 17/ 18 mph (at which point any incremental gain in speed is inversely proportional to the amount of effort you put in) (afaik)

So…great safety potential, and performance even in everyday urban settings.

It’s probably no match for the chupacabras of this world, but cheap enough to try out (maybe your lbs can order some in)

I think that the trek Stache is an amazing development, but with a 29plus tyre up front, coupled with say, a 2.4 at the rear on your existing hardtail will give you a fair amount of the stache’s potential.

breadcrumb

As has been said, 45psi defeats the point of a plus tyre really.

I’m running a Chronicle on a 40mm internal rim at 11psi, it’s fantastic. 15psi was shite!

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I’ll drop the pressure right down when I get some proper’ wide rims, promise:)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wheel reflectors and the safety sticker on your rotor?

Delete your account.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

45psi 8) !

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

@poah

Must have been a Freudian slip/ autocorrect.

Murdock was the ‘unbalanced’ one from the a-team, so maybe running 45pai wasn’t so inappropriate, lol!

@takisawa2

Thanks for the recommendation on the dually.
    Got the last one from wiggle. Should build up onto my spare switch hub.

As the ‘big daddys’ are approx 300g heavier than than the ‘fatbnimble’, I’ll keep one on the front even just for urban and commuting duties and keep the panaracers for pukka off-roading.

The grip and confidence on tarmac really is outstanding.

matt_outandabout

Are they flasks or lights side by side on the funny arm above the stem?

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

@mattoutandabout

Aaah Good question!

On a previous forum topic, someone asked me if the Blackburn central 700 front light was ok to use off-road in its own.

Well, I found they work best side by side.
    On the road, one is more than sufficient.

So what you’re seeing are the lights on GoPro mounts, assembled in my own suitably idiosyncratic way and attached to the to the top of the stem via the excellent SP gadgets stem mount.

In this case, I couldn’t get the assembly sufficiently tight, as I brynjed out without a screwdriver.

Id recommend using the stem mount as a support for your smart cam or e-bike digital display (that way you could put it in your pocket should you have to chain the bike up)

And I’d use the regular SP gadgets handlebar mounts for the lights, as they’re totally bomb-proof.

There are cheaper versions of the sp gadgets bar mounts on eBay, but they’re made of plastic rather than metal so avoid over-tightening…

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced the articulated assembly with one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381204602494

The lights are now well forward of the bars, and I’ve got room on the bars to mount my cycle computer.

CheesybeanZ

How does an over inflated front tyre with a poor profile help climbing ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Only on the front? No effect on climbing.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘And now some good news. 29plus content.’ is closed to new replies.