Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • An uncomfortable health question CIRCUMCISION CONTENT
  • Kit
    Free Member

I’m 34 and have been recommended for an entire penile skin graft. To be sure, I’m not looking forward to it 🙁

gonzy
    Free Member

i had mine done when i was about 8 or 9 years old. i remember it being done in a hospital and when i returned to school a couple of weeks later…i got whacked right on the helmet by a ball!!

we had our eldest son done when he was 2, but for my younger son we’ll be looking to get him done before he is 1.

but yes, i would have thought that rolling back the foreskin and giving it a wash when in the bath would suffice

I have 2 daughters but lots of problems with willy,

huh?!

rebel12
    Free Member

I heard a neurologist on R4 say that the bit of skin removed by circumcision contains c 30,000 nerve endings. I personally see this operation for religious/cultural reasons as a form of abuse.

To be honest ‘whilst stirring the red paint pot’ I can’t feel any real difference before or after mine so I wouldn’t say it has any great impact. Guess the only way to be sure is to give it a go so to speak.

anagallis_arvensis

had our eldest son done when he was 2, but for my younger son we’ll be looking to get him done before he is 1.

What the actual ****?
    Why do that, whats the point? Have a wash it’ll be fine.

atlaz
    Free Member

I had mine done for medical reasons as several above when I was about 8. I can’t speak about what I never knew but I don’t think it’s done me any harm.

Just as a “funny” aside, my grandad ended up circumcised after a relatively highspeed todger/stem interaction when he was about 20. He reckoned that hurt.

amedias
    Free Member

I managed to dodge potential circumcision @30

I’d never had a single problem prior to this and came totalyl out fo the blue, I spent an incredibly uncomfortable 2-3 weeks with problems down there, resulting in the doubly uncomfortable combination of both a swollen, red, itchy dry foreskin, but also temporary phimosis due to the problem, meaning it was a bugger to keep clean and since it had lost all elasticity the surface of the skin split and cracked (!) when trying to retract to clean and apply ointment.

What made it even worse was that at the end of the second week I had to race 24hr solo at Bontrager 24/12 while suffering the above!

Since had it diagnosed as some kind of Balanitis (I forget the exact type/name) which means it could happen again, had a course of treatment and it all cleared up thankfully!

Decent hygiene seems to be keeping it in check as it’s fine now and has been for over 18 months so happy days 🙂

The things you admit on STW eh!

cinnamon_girl

Fascinating reading. 😆

redstripe
    Free Member

An old one – What happened to the short-sighted surgeon performing a circumcision?
    Got the sack.

theotherjonv

Reminds me of another joke about the urologist, who collected all the foreskins he’d removed during his illustrious career, and on retirement gave them to a tailor and asked him to make him something from them to remind him of his time as a surgeon.

2 weeks later his tailor presents him with a wallet. ‘A wallet! out of all the foreskins i gave you!?’

‘Yes, but give it a rub and it turns into a set of suitcases’

almightydutch
    Free Member

My 3 year old, now 4, also suffered with a few reactions on his manhood. As he also suffers from eczema we put it down to this but the mrs got that worried once she took him the docs.

Doctor prescribed some antibiotics and it cleared up. Funnily enough he hasn’t had any more since.

Job done, simple as that. Also as was previously said, do not force it back at such a young age. They’ll play with it enough at that age it’ll all happen naturally.

gonzy
    Free Member

Why do that, whats the point?

was done for religious reasons, but that aside it will in the long term avoid the issues the OP has.
    our eldest son had his done in a private clinic and the youngest will be going to the same place to have his done. its easier to have it done at an early age.

jambourgie
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis

Why in the name of all thats holy mutilate your kids…

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Male circumcision isn’t that bad. In the US it is the is still the norm but I don’t think the rate is as high now as it was in the 70s when it was 90% of new born males.

anagallis_arvensis

Its still utterly pointless in most cases

Cougar

it will in the long term avoid the issues the OP has.

Why not have appendix out whilst he’s there?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Silently different levels of risk…

DrJ

Why not have appendix out whilst he’s there?

Why stop there? There’s all kinds of stuff you could have removed to eliminate the zillion-to-one risk that there’ll be a problem at some point in your kids’ lives.

anagallis_arvensis

Teeth are often a great source of pain

elma
    Free Member

I’ll throw my experience in , i went through the cut when i was 19 just at the age when you could live without having your knob bandaged up.

Apparently it was touch and go as to whether i should of had it done as an infant ,oh how i wish i’d had it done then.

For balance after experiencing it with and without its crash hat on i feel no difference infact the cleanliness aspect is now much better.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Had it done when I was 11, bit if a shock a week before Christmas

It’d be an especially bad time to find out you were Jewish, and also that you couldn’t even have a Hanukkah hand shandy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had mine done as a kid after a few UTIs. Not sure whether id get any future kids done by default but if a Dr offered it as an option it be a no brainer to accept.

Why in the name of all thats holy mutilate your kids…

Why stop at soapboxing about this, haircuts are barbaric!

Houns

It’s 2014!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s 2014

precicely, we’ve developed far more effective ways of stopping the little fella getting frostbite than the flap of frequently infected skin it came with.

miketually
    Free Member

My eyes are watering. Glad I was ‘only’ ten when I became a roundhead.

brassneck

back to the op, our doctor told us to avoid perfumed gels and soaps when washing, and not use bubble bath on a regular basis. have had this advice for two of them, plus antibiotics to clear up the one off infections.

CountZero

Not ‘trimmed’, and I’ve only ever had one infection ‘down there’ and that caused a fair degree of awkwardness with the G/F I caught it from.
    NSU, and it took quite some explaining to help her understand that it rarely presents obvious symptoms in women and it wasn’t her fault.
    Very embarrassing for both of us, at the time.
    Otherwise, never had any kind of infection issues, thankfully.

konabunny
    Free Member

err, it’s not usually Jesus-ites that circumcise for religious reasons!

but if you really want something to save pitchforks about, consider the religious sect that have their boys circumcised at home by religious practitioners that kiss the fresh wound and sometimes infect the children with herpes as a result: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/nyregion/regulation-of-circumcision-method-divides-some-jews-in-new-york.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Did you hear the one about the blind circumcised, he missed and got the sack.

DrJ

stopping the little fella getting frostbite

Is that what you think it’s for?

abbot
    Free Member

I love how the ads work on this site…

Cougar

Why stop at soapboxing about this, haircuts are barbaric!

Because of course, haircuts are directly comparable to unnecessary genital surgery on non-consenting infants without anaesthetic.

Maybe I wasn’t clear before. The bottom line is, there is no practical reason to routinely circumcise children. None, zero, nada, despite whatever old wives’ tales you’ve been led to believe. There is, of course, very good reason to do it in very specific circumstances (such as if you’re suffering from phimosis as mentioned earlier), but aside from actually having a condition the only reason to do it to your children (other than out of ignorance or misinformation) is religious / traditional.

And frankly, if your belief system demands that you surgically modify your children’s genitals, at the very least you should be waiting until they’re old enough to make that decision for themselves. Barbarians.

gonzy
    Free Member

Circumcision is a religious or cultural ritual for many Jewish and Islamic families, as well as certain aboriginal tribes in Africa and Australia. Circumcision can also be a matter of family tradition, personal hygiene or preventive health care. Sometimes there’s a medical need for circumcision, such as when the foreskin is too tight to be pulled back (retracted) over the glans. In other cases, particularly in certain parts of Africa, circumcision is recommended for older boys or men to reduce the risk of certain sexually transmitted infections.

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) says the benefits of circumcision outweigh the risks. However, the AAP doesn’t recommend routine circumcision for all male newborns. The AAP leaves the circumcision decision up to parents — and supports use of anesthetics for infants who have the procedure.

Circumcision might have various health benefits, including:

Easier hygiene. Circumcision makes it simpler to wash the penis. Washing beneath the foreskin of an uncircumcised penis is generally easy, however.
    Decreased risk of urinary tract infections. The overall risk of urinary tract infections in males is low, but these infections are more common in uncircumcised males. Severe infections early in life can lead to kidney problems later on.
    Decreased risk of sexually transmitted infections. Circumcised men might have a lower risk of certain sexually transmitted infections, including HIV. Still, safe sexual practices remain essential.
    Prevention of penile problems. Occasionally, the foreskin on an uncircumcised penis can be difficult or impossible to retract (phimosis). This can lead to inflammation of the foreskin or head of the penis.
    Decreased risk of penile cancer. Although cancer of the penis is rare, it’s less common in circumcised men. In addition, cervical cancer is less common in the female sexual partners of circumcised men.
    Circumcision might not be an option if certain blood-clotting disorders are present. In addition, circumcision might not be appropriate for premature babies who still require medical care in the hospital nursery.

Circumcision doesn’t affect fertility, nor is circumcision generally thought to enhance or detract from sexual pleasure for men or their partners.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/circumcision/basics/why-its-done/prc-20013585

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Because of course, haircuts are directly comparable to unnecessary genital surgery on non-consenting infants without anaesthetic.

Well youre definately wrong on one point, I was knocked out for mine.

konabunny
    Free Member

gonzy – what point do you think you’re making?

jambourgie
    Free Member

konabunny – Member
    err, it’s not usually Jesus-ites that circumcise for religious reasons!

Whatever, that was the picture that came up first. Just swap out ‘Jesus’ for Buddha/King David/The Honey Monster/Mohammadahamed/Chakka Khan/David Icke.

anagallis_arvensis

For gonzy

As with all types of surgery, circumcision has some risks. However, complications from circumcisions carried out for medical reasons are rare in England.

Bleeding and infection are the most common problems associated with circumcision.

Other complications can include:

a decrease in sensation in the penis, particularly during sexdamage to the tube that carries urine inside the penis (urethra), causing it to narrow and making it hard to pass urineremoval of too much of the foreskinaccidental amputation of the head of the penis, which is very rarea blood infection or blood poisoning (septicaemia)

gonzy
    Free Member

what point do you think you’re making?

not trying to make a point…just stating that there are medical benefits to having the procedure done and from experience it is generally easier to carry out the procedure at an early age.

As with all types of surgery, circumcision has some risks. However, complications from circumcisions carried out for medical reasons are rare in England.
    Bleeding and infection are the most common problems associated with circumcision.

Other complications can include:

a decrease in sensation in the penis, particularly during sexdamage to the tube that carries urine inside the penis (urethra), causing it to narrow and making it hard to pass urineremoval of too much of the foreskinaccidental amputation of the head of the penis, which is very rarea blood infection or blood poisoning (septicaemia)

thats a fair point…there are risks but then again many medical procedures have risks…my father in law had a swollen knee joint drained last summer…he nearly died of septicaemia in hospital

theotherjonv

accidental amputation of the head of the penis,

😯

That’s a pretty m’f’ing big accident in my opinion. Unless a cleaver is the surgical instrument of choice.

AdamW
    Free Member

Circumcision might have various health benefits, including

The key is in the word ‘might’. I ‘might‘ grow an extra set of arms so I can play multiplayer Destiny by myself but it is unlikely to happen.

I wouldn’t mutilate a child on the off-chance that something may happen in the future. If it was that prevalent then half of Europe would be in trouble. For religious reasons I would let the child grow up and decide for themselves if they wanted to chop a bit of themselves off.

And I say that as someone who had it done about 6 years ago for medical reasons.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘An uncomfortable health question CIRCUMCISION CONTENT’ is closed to new replies.