Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • An idea….warm wall heating….
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Has anyone ever heard of something like this….

Im going to install an Under Floor Heating in the ground floor of the barn, driven at c.40degs off a thermal store.

I was also planning on heating upstairs with high output/low temperature rads also supplied from the same 40-60deg source.

I was wondering what anyone thinks about installing UFH piping in a stud wall laid between the studs and boarded in as a heating technique? It wouldnt rely on convection as a rad as it would be using radiation at low temperatures (still 40-60deg) like UFH. The layout of our upstairs lends itself really well to this. Apart from the risks of a Frank Spencer moment involving hanging pictures, what have I missed?

aP
    Free Member

Surely it'll have too little thermal mass to be able to work adequately with the low temperature supply that you're using for your underfloor system? – unless you cast it into a 100mm thick slab (with some kind of polished finish as you won't want to put any kind of additional finish on it) and then fix that vertically whereever you want it.

Stoner
    Free Member

how about packing the stud cavity with something fire resistant but also thermally massive. I was planning on double boarding the stud walls too.

I might have a go at some calcs. Average room is, say, 3x4x2.5 and I can heat at least two of those walls a time….

uplink
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

thats the shizzle uplink.

I see the picture is called a "radiant wall". I must have googled the wrong name, are you familiar with them?

uplink
    Free Member

are you familiar with them?

hell no, I just remembered seeing it when I was looking for some floor heating ideas

grumm
    Free Member

In my incredibly non-technical opinion:

Doesn't underfloor heating partly work on the basis that heat rises?
    Won't the plaster or whatever you make the wall out of be a really inefficient conductor, unlike tiles or whatever people normally have over underfloor heating?

🙂

backhander
    Free Member

It would raise your MRT, but would not heat you (or provide you with thermal comfort) any where near as efficiently as the flooring will (because you're stood on the floor and heat rises, well sort of).
    BTW, what is your thermal store? Why do you need extra heating?

Stoner
    Free Member

Wood pellet boiler into 1200L thermal store
    Additional energy from solar water in summer and a wood stove back boiler in water which will also provide air heating in the main kitchen/living room.
    UFH @60>40 degs on ground floor in new insulated slab

possibly a very simple air heat recovery system linking the kitchen extractor to one room upstairs.

just trying to solve the rest of upstairs air heating.
    Want to run it off the same 60>40 supply from the UFH manifold.

UFH manifold drawing from middle of thermal store water.

EIDT: Sorry bh, just realised it was you asking the question. Thanks for your help earlier. Got most of my plans sorted now, just toying with some ideas…

backhander
    Free Member

Hmmm, you'd have to be very careful not to lose most of your heat through the transfer to outside. insulation could well "absorb" a lot of the heat too so it may prove better to have a reflective layer behind the coil. Could cause problems with damp but maybe not on the upper levels. Not sure about thermal mass, I'd have thought thermal bridging would prove more of a problem. I take it your build will come under part L1?
    Sorry re read your post, if only using on internal walls then most of my notes are irrelevant! Sorry!

llamafarmer
    Free Member

Can you not just put UFH upstairs as well?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘An idea….warm wall heating….’ is closed to new replies.